Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a flatfinder

• 25-03-2004 12:35am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Christ, I'm all questions this week amn't I? South is like my own private little inquisitette!

Anyway, I promised myself I'd get out of here[1] by March and my time's nearly up so it's time to get my skates on. So, since I've never done this before, and I have very specific requirements, I'm looking for recommendations of a reputable flatfinder that'll find me a nice flat for a nice price without annoying me with upsells and pressure.

Any tips you have for renting would be nice too, and of course if anyone knows of a nice cheap little flat/apartment somewhere in the city centre or Ballinlough/Blackrock area, that I can get broadband in, for God's sake tell me and save me all this hassle. :)

EDIT: By the way, I already know about Flatfinders and DAFT and the property crowds on DMOZ/Google. I'm really looking for recommendations here, rather than just links.

Thanks,
    adam

[1] Yes, I still live at home. Yes, with my mother. Yes, I'm embarassed about it. Yes, it's fierce funny altogether. Piss off.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I know you know all about flatfinders but they have a sign outside an apartment in Ballintemple (near the Venue) .. they have a few of them in those 2 small blocks...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

They offered to show me that this morning, €800/month. Bit rich for my blood but I might pop down for a look at the outside this evening -- if it was very nice they might be able to twist me arm. Which side of the Venue, say if I was looking at the front door?

Ta,
    adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Think its the road going up the hill. Not sure of any other apartments around there.

<dahamsta hops into the car>

Anyone want to estimate average monthly leccy and gas bills for me? It doesn't need to be spot-on, I'm just looking for a vague idea for my expenses sheet. Anything else I'm missing? Food obviously, how much would you hungry f*ckers spend on it a month? Anything else?

[EDIT: Can you haggle rent?]

adam

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

..literally behind the Venue - so look at the front door and go up the road on yer right.. there are also ones nearly ready at the top of the hill (beside the old graveyard on Churchyard Lane)

gas: I use budget pay so it works out around 20- 24 a month (thats for a house), electricity seems to have gone up a bit but generally around 70-90 per 2-months for a house (with all gadgets etc..) - our last one was around 120 which was the highest I have ever seen..but then again we were drying kids clothes like nana...

food bills are a personal choice ! Don't forget telephony costs, sky or chorus, TV licence fee, check the story about bin charges - they are due soon.

I thought that was the place alright. Not sure which unit it is though.

Thanks for the info re bills. Got telephony figured, can live without telly for a while, didn't think of the bin charges so nice one.

adam

Where's "James Street, Off Washington Street"? It doesn't seem to be on the City Council's stree finder.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

Just wondering - why don't ya just go buy a place if you're willing to spend €800 per month? Thats what i've done and i rent a room to a mate to subsidise the mortgage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement