Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Akira class 15 torp launchers! .......(ultra trek warning) file size warning

• 25-03-2004 5:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭

Its 3.30 in the morning and backstreet boys are on the tv.........so seeming i don’t want to kill myself or reinact death race 2000 (Backstreet boys 1 million points!) iv tried to prove the 15 torp launcher's of the akira class. (Because data doesn’t bleave in it)

Firstly i found a drawing of the Akira class upper weapons pod drawn by the designer (so it’s pretty damn close to cannon) which show's 7!! Torp launchers
    akiratorps2.jpg

Anyway credible as this drawing is i needed some on screen pure cannon prove! So i found a picture of the Akira class fireing 1 torp from its top weapons pod (quality not great but eh)
    akira1.jpg

As you see the Akira is clearly fireing one torpedo from its top launcher now with a bit of (badly) done photoshoping we get this picture
    akiratorps.jpg
    moreprove.jpg

You can see where each torp launcher would go pretty nicely there and the torp launched from the third launcher has even lit up the surrounding top launchers abit although the bottom launchers are not seen fireing the excitants of the bottom housing pretty much the way it is in the design drawing lead's me to bleave 3 launcher's are housed there

This i think proves that at least 4 torp launchers are housed forward facing in the weapons pod and 7 seem's VERY likely seeming the ship on screen so closely follows the designers drawings...We also have this picture
    bottomtorplaunch.jpg

Clearly showing two torps being launched from just above the deflector array so that’s 5 pretty clearly shown on screen with 3 other's all but certain (im my view) making 8 ALL forward facing ........Seeming most fed ships have aft facing torp's im sure you could add in 3 extra to the ass of the ship and it's ment to have 2 or 4 launcher's faceing to port and starboard but i have no prove of that.Anyway seeming im all but sure i proved at lest 5 on the ship (and 8 more than likely) im going to blow on about something else i found..............(stay awake)
    size-difference.jpg

In the picture above the 4 top launchers are quite a lot larger than the bottom 3 nearly twice the size in fact so unless the federation just likes big launchers that do noting different there HAS to be a reason for the smaller size

It could be to allow Q-torps to be fired but we clearly see a photon being launched so that’s not really a runner however if you ever look at voyagers torp launchers (which are single shot) they are quite small and shaped much like the bottom 3 torp launcher's of the akira so perhaps the bottom 3 (along with the one by the deflector) are single shot while the larger 4 are able to fire more than 1 torp at a time.....it makes sense theE-E's main launchers are also large (a bit larger than the akiras but then again it is the flagship) and shaped along the same line's of the akiras top 4.

So there that’s what i think/found/though/guessed .......
    At least 8 launchers
    4 muilt launcher's (if the sovy can fire 12 and the galaxy 10 in a single launch from a single launcher the akira MIGHT be able to fire between 3-8 to tie into its cruiser role)
    4 single shot launchers

So in 1 single forward launch at a low 3 torps per muilt launcher (like a vorcha class) it could feck out 16 torp's .....6 more than the galaxy 6 less than the sovy (not using its Q-turret or smaller single shot launchers and both not useing their aft launcher's) seem's fine to me maybe even under powered as it only has 2 main type 10 phaser arrays even with 8 torp mulit launchers it can "only" fire 36 torp's in a single launch while really really lacking phaser coverage ..................A (war)Nebula Galaxy Sovy or Defiant would rape it....I REALLY think its under powered not over powered like some think :D and might explain why any time we see a akira its a burning wreak

(seeming the akira has no proven spec's this is all guess work by me so eh) I now personaly think the akira was designed to take on Galor's bird of preys and the like's and to take over the role of the Miranda class stargazer (cant remember its class) and other old cruiser ship's while freeing up the nebula's and galaxy's from patrol duity's to go off exploreing it is NOT a front line Sovy type warship in my mind

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

thats good shit out of you bizmark. with that picture i will now buy the fact that the akira class has those 7 launchers at the top, one under the saucer and a aft launcher somewhere.

i'm skeptical about port and starboard launchers as i'm not familiar with them on any other ship. stargazer is constellation class. akira does seem like a miranda stargazer replacement looks like a sleeker version imo.

i don't really follow the single/multi launch ability difference tbh, multi launch they can fire more then one topedoe out the same tube at the same instant is it?

its plausible that if they have 7 forward facing in that housing that they have rear facing ones in the same housing also. it would make sense from a design point of view. i do however think that the designed is somewhat flawed to put some much of a ships weapons in that one area. you take that out and the ship is more or less toothless. it would want to be heavily shielded

data

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

I did not know that it had that many, its very good info well done bizmark.

So that means that is has more than a sovy? Strange but the sovy does have quantom torps. If a akira got moded to have quantom torps woulnt it kill almost everything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Bizmark you should have been in bed. Get a job and/or go to college. (waits for him to insult students)

Forgetting all that for a moment and assuming that the pod has 7 forward firing photon launchers, it wouldn't be that much to assume that the pod also has a few rear firing tubes ala the miranda. Which could account for the missing ones.

Are multi firing tubes not considered a single tube? No matter how many torpedos they throw out in a salvo? As for port/starboard, there really is no chance, phaser IX's maybe, but not torpedos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

i don't really follow the single/multi launch ability difference tbh, multi launch they can fire more then one topedoe out the same tube at the same instant is it?

Ya they can hold and fire more than one torp at a time........it would HAVE tobe bigger than a normal single shot launcher in order to house the bigger tube/launchers/more than one torp caseing
    Are multi firing tubes not considered a single tube? No matter how many torpedos they throw out in a salvo?

Ya i think its one tube with either a bigger launcher or more than one
    i'm skeptical about port and starboard launchers as i'm not familiar with them on any other ship.

Aye me too i cant really think of any good reasion to have them
    So that means that is has more than a sovy

Na the sovy has 4 mulit launchers (12 shot each 2 forword 2 rear) a Quntum turret (3 shots) and 4 single shot launcher's ...........Os it can fire 30 or so torp's in a single salvo while haveing a god awful amouth of type 12 phaser's
    is somewhat flawed to put some much of a ships weapons in that one area

My guess is that its ment to stay far far away from the main action while lobbing in torp's like it was going out of fashion
    Bizmark you should have been in bed. Get a job and/or go to college.

Eww college students eww

i still don't get the multi topedoes do they not just launch a salvo , two or more torpedoes don't leave the same hole simultaneously do they?

if so its irrelevant whether it is two small holes or one big one

data

• Advertisement

If you remember sometimes in TNG the ent would fire a single photon that would kinda 'split up' into many more. That is a multi-torpedo launcher, but as far as i'm aware they're pretty rare. Single launchers seem preferred.

There not that rear

Galaxy has them
    Nebby has them
    Sovy has them
    ambasador class has them

They hold up to 12 caseing in the tube at a time (caseing is only like 0.12 meters tall)

The federation and klingon's are the only empires with them .....klingons are a fair bit behind the fed's though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Doctor Funfrock

exactly what bizmark said!! :D

so twelve torpedoes in the tube that can just be fire in very rapid succession is it? or a tube 12 torpedoes wide?

Twelve torps wide, they all come out at the same time and then the targetting kicks in. Which is why the torpedoes split up in the series.

• Advertisement

the galaxy could fire all its torps at once so i guess they can stack them side to side and top to buttom .....torps arent very wide or very tall

Advertisement