Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

domain administrator user name and password

Options
  • 25-03-2004 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

When adding a PC to a network can someone tell me what a domain administrator user name and password is? Is this an admin account used on the server providing the network?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

yes, if the server is a domain controller and not a member server

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Yes kinda, but thats a very vague description of it. Its the admin account that allows you to manage the domain(s). The way you phrased your question suggests you don't know what a domain is, and don't really understand what the various admin accounts do and how they work.

Are you doing a course or something?

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/events/ad/tnt1-98.mspx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Originally posted by RicardoSmith

Are you doing a course or something?

No. I do some IT support for an office. I haven't had cause to provide network support so far as I've always provided desktop support as my knowlage of networking/server admin is limited. The office has 3 Win 98 machines. We have bought 3 brand news machines from Dell with Windows XP Pro. I thought it would be easy to copy the network settings from the 98 machines and duplicate on the XP machines. It's proving to be a headache. What I have done so far is:

Setup networking components as below:
    setup241.jpg

Setup IP address and gateway address taking same addresses from `98 machine:
    setup244.jpg

Setup computer name - same as `98 machine:
    join_domain1.jpg

Set the computer to be part of the domain:
    setup251.jpg

I'm then asked to enter a username/password. For this I've enetered the login username and password the Win98 machines use to log onto the network. It seems to accept this but then I get an error saying other users are currently logged onto this domain (I'll check and post back the exact error). Can anyone help?

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

You need to enter the username/password of a person with rights to add a computer to a domain.

This is usually the NT/2K Admin password... Do you know the USer/Pass for the Domain controller?

Do you even have a domain controller?
    Is it NT/2k?

Have you named the New PCs the same as the old ones?
    If so you will have to remove the old PCs from your domain, using Server Manager(NT) or Active Directory (2K)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The admin password is the one you use on the Server - can also be anyone in the Domain Admins group

Win98 does not have security on local settings - ie. press cancel when it asks for a password and you can do anything you want in control panel - so you shouldn't need it anymore.

There is also a local admin password on each NT/2K/XP PC (and member servers) this is used to get into the network settings - but you then need a domain password to connect to the domain.

• Advertisement

Do you even have a domain controller?Is it NT/2k?

NT Server 4.
    Have you named the New PCs the same as the old ones?
    If so you will have to remove the old PCs from your domain, using Server Manager(NT) or Active Directory (2K)

Yes - New pc's are named same as the old ones. Why would I have to remove them from the domain when the new machines are named the same with the same IP address ect?
    There is also a local admin password on each NT/2K/XP PC (and member servers) this is used to get into the network settings - but you then need a domain password to connect to the domain.

It's ok. I have this password.

I've done some more work and they seem to be connecting to the network ok now. However I have another problem :dunno:

There is an application on the server. This is a reservation (hostel) package. There is a shortcut on each of the `98 machines to this application and the shortcut runs through a mapped drive. I've setup this shortcut on the new XP machines but you have to manually map the drive eachtime you logon in order for the shortcut to work. I had another look at the `98 machines and it seems a login script runs when you login to the network which maps this network drive. How do I get this to run on the new XP pro machines?

I'm then asked to enter a username/password. For this I've enetered the login username and password the Win98 machines use to log onto the network. It seems to accept this but then I get an error saying other users are currently logged onto this domain (I'll check and post back the exact error). Can anyone help?

Error is:

multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connection to the server or shared resource and try again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by daveg
    NT Server 4.

Yes - New pc's are named same as the old ones. Why would I have to remove them from the domain when the new machines are named the same with the same IP address ect?
    Yes you should remove them in server manager first since they will have different SID's (Security ID's) when you add a pc to server manager - the next NT/2k/xp PC of that name to connect is the only allowed on again because of it's unique ID. Windows 95/98/ Linux PC's can of course all use the same name as long as two don't try it at the same time...

. I had another look at the `98 machines and it seems a login script runs when you login to the network which maps this network drive. How do I get this to run on the new XP pro machines?

In XP home this was a delibrate omission to force you to buy the PRO version. No I don't know how to solve this one - real pain in the neck - happens randomly - ie. the login script will usuallly run except for some users on some machines on first boot.

Muck, RicardoSmith and Capt'n Midnight thanks for the help guy's. I got it working after a lot of messing around. God damn XP Pro...

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Firstly win98/winmil don't have computer domain accounts whereas winxp/2k/nt do.
    So you need to goto the domain controller and create these accounts or supply a username and password of a 'Domain Administrator' when prompted.
    The domain name dpetri.net is not valid for an NT4 domain.
    Just enter dpetri on its own. (NT4 domains have netbios names)
    Check on the domain controller using user manager for domains to confirm that all the users have domain accounts. e.g. dpetri\daniel might be one of them.
    Log the workstation on as Local administrator or domain administrator.
    Then goto startmenu->run and type compmgmt.msc and hit okay.
    Expand local users and groups, then click groups and double click administrators.
    If you are logged in as local administrator you'll be asked for domain credentials at this point, enter a username and password of a domain user.
    Then hit add and pick from the list of users the owner of the machine and hit ok.
    Now logoff and logon as the owner of the machine.
    2 options for mapping the network drive.
    (1)
    Right click on 'my network places' and select map network drive.
    pick the same drive letter as on the win98 machine and put \\servername\share in where it says folder.
    (2)
    Use a login script, launch usermanager for domains on the domain controller when you are logged in as a domain administrator.
    double click on the users that need to use the script and put the path to the script in there.
    The script should contain something like.
    net use h: \\servername\share /persistent:no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

best site on the net for windows issues, it really is brillant

http://www.experts-exchange.com/

Advertisement