Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protocol for a Royal Toast?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

then the situation is identical to if it was made before a Danish subject or French citizen
    It's not the same due to the fact that Ireland is still occupied.

I havent argued what a person should do here. I still think that given the fact that half the world would have problems toasting the health of the queen , the english should of know better than to offer the toast.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Mighty_Mouse
    Took a long time to say that.

Took a long time to say that.
    Sorry? Whats your point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Sorry? Whats your point?
    His point is probably that a number of individuals in this thread have been rather transparently standing behind the man, behind the man, behind the wire... :rolleyes:

As for Northern Ireland being occupied, that’s a matter open to debate - and oddly enough not the debate we’re having here. A sizable proportion of the population there would disagree with you. In addition to that, even if they were under occupation, that does not necessarily make it our beeswax either. There’s quite a few there who would be quite happy not to be occupied by either London or Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Not in any legal sense and not according to our constitution.

jc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Originally posted by The Corinthian
    His point is probably that a number of individuals in this thread have been rather transparently standing behind the man, behind the man, behind the wire... :rolleyes:

Man, even I saw that coming.

Aside, I find it interesting this thread's gotten so much mileage.

His point is probably that a number of individuals in this thread have been rather transparently standing behind the man, behind the man, behind the wire...
    If your hinting that you tend to know a persons response before they make it................ditto!

I meant everything in this thread so far.
    As for Northern Ireland being occupied, that’s a matter open to debate - and oddly enough not the debate we’re having here
    Which is why were not debating it.
    addition to that, even if they were under occupation, that does not necessarily make it our beeswax either.
    Your English? It is your beeswax if you propose a toast to the Queens health to an Irish republican.

If your hinting that you tend to know a persons response before they make it................ditto!
    No, I didn’t say that.
    I meant everything in this thread so far.
    I’ve no doubt of that.
    Which is why were not debating it.
    Then don’t bring it up as fact when it is debatable.
    Your English?
    Are you questioning my command of the English language (“Your”) or accusing me of being English (“You’re”)? If it’s the former it is an odd accusation; the latter is both paranoid and erroneous.
    It is your beeswax if you propose a toast to the Queens health to an Irish republican.
    As much as toasting to the health of the pope would cause some upset at a meeting of an Orange Order lodge. On the other hand, not everyone has to live their lives with such hang-ups.

His point is probably that a number of individuals in this thread have been rather transparently standing behind the man, behind the man, behind the wire...
    Can I ask what you meant?
    Then don’t bring it up as fact when it is debatable.
    Its relevant when argueing why an Englishman should't invite an Irishman to propose a toast to the queen?
    that does not necessarily make it our beeswax either
    Which would indicate that your an Englishman............which is also relevant to whether or not an englishman should be entitled to propose a toast to the queens health in non-english company.
    As much as toasting to the health of the pope would cause some upset at a meeting of an Orange Order lodge. .

I would'nt propose a toast to the pope with an orangeman either.
    On the other hand, not everyone has to live their lives with such hang-ups
    Whoopee for you

Can I ask what you meant?
    That it was obvious that some posters were approaching the topic from the usual old Tiocfaidh Ar La angle. Nothing to do with knowing your response.
    Its relevant when argueing why an Englishman should't invite an Irishman to propose a toast to the queen?
    It’s not. You say, NI is an occupied territory and should be part of the republic, most at this stage would say not (we even had a referendum on our national claim to NI). Meanwhile we’re an independent state. We’re not British. We don’t have to judge our actions based upon theirs any more. Get over it.

As far as I’m concerned, and I’ve already stated this, a Briton inviting any non-Briton to toast to the British head of State alone is impolite.
    Which would indicate that your an Englishman............which is also relevant to whether or not an englishman should be entitled to propose a toast to the queens health in non-english company.
    I’m not, in the slightest bit, English. English isn’t even my mother tongue.

Still, if I were how would that be relevant then? All part of the great English conspiracy to re-enslave the people of Ireland? :rolleyes:

TBH, your inference smacks of prejudice and extremism.
    I would'nt propose a toast to the pope with an orangeman either.
    You wouldn’t know an analogy either it would appear.
    Whoopee for you
    Yes. I’m quite happy with my lack of psychosis in the matter.

• Advertisement

That it was obvious that some posters were approaching the topic from the usual old Tiocfaidh Ar La angle. Nothing to do with knowing your response.
    Not some.........the comment was made to me specifically.

Is the "usual old tiocfaidh" response not presumptuous?
    Meanwhile we’re an independent state. We’re not British. We don’t have to judge our actions based upon theirs any more. Get over it.

In relation to toasting the queens health or not, what’s your point?
    Following the above argument, you would find it acceptable for an Englishman to invite his guests in his English home to toast the queen.
    As far as I’m concerned, and I’ve already stated this, a Briton inviting any non-Briton to toast to the British head of State alone is impolite.
    Ah! Now that you put it in italics...

I agree with you.

I was making the point that it was impolite for an Englishman to suggest a toast to the queen to an Irishman in particular (especially a Republican). You don't see it as any different to suggesting it to a French or German. This is where we differ.

Given the history between Ireland and England its IMO a lot different.
    All part of the great English conspiracy to re-enslave the people of Ireland?
    That’s exactly what I was getting at. :rolleyes: dam republicans ............always inventing conspiracy theories !!:rolleyes:
    TBH, your inference smacks of prejudice and extremism.
    I don't see how. Maybe it’s your own paranoia’s of republicanism coming into play here?
    You wouldn’t know an analogy either it would appear.
    I would
    Yes. I’m quite happy with my lack of psychosis in the matter.
    Is there a psychotic arguing on this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

I'm going to make one post to this thread and then go to bed...

If you have guests from an other country present you toast their Head of State before your own. This is one of the unwriten writien rules...

like you never toast with an empty glass.

The other thing I'd like to say is that its a sad day when mods fill a tread with pedantisim and pick on people because of spelling and grammer to the degree that I've seen in this thread.
    I know that mods are people too but the idea is that they're people who know not to stir up trouble and thats what I see in here.

* I'm not going to fix that grammer mistake, you know what I mean.

Is the "usual old tiocfaidh" response not presumptuous?
    And accurate too.
    Following the above argument, you would find it acceptable for an Englishman to invite his guests in his English home to toast the queen.
    That’s not what I was saying. Read it again.
    I was making the point that it was impolite for an Englishman to suggest a toast to the queen to an Irishman in particular (especially a Republican). You don't see it as any different to suggesting it to a French or German. This is where we differ.
    I’d noticed that, and I’d pointed out that we differ, because you’re coming from the usual old Tiocfaidh Ar La school of thought in this matter, as if the Irish would have a divine right to hold a grudge against the English onto eternity.
    Given the history between Ireland and England its IMO a lot different.
    History. That’s the word. Past tense. Get over it. I listened to way too much propaganda in my childhood being spoon fed to kids that seemed to blame all of Ireland’s ills (to the present day) on England.

Frankly, if we hadn’t had a famine, we would have had to invent one.
    I don't see how. Maybe it’s your own paranoia’s of republicanism coming into play here?
    You implied that my stance in a discussion was somehow based upon my nationality (which you assumed to be English). That’s prejudice, not paranoia.
    Is there a psychotic arguing on this thread?
    I refer you to the Brendan Behan quote earlier in the thread.
    Originally posted by kiffer
    If you have guests from an other country present you toast their Head of State before your own. This is one of the unwriten writien rules...
    I would concur.
    Ditto.
    The other thing I'd like to say is that its a sad day when mods fill a tread with pedantisim and pick on people because of spelling and grammer to the degree that I've seen in this thread.
    I highlighted a Freudian slip. The grammar was [edit]not[/edit] directly an issue and spelling was not at all an issue.
    I know that mods are people too but the idea is that they're people who know not to stir up trouble and thats what I see in here.
    On this board, I’m just another poster, just like anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Actually, it's a written rule that you can toast the english head of state with an empty glass, or with water. As I said earlier, it dates back to the 16th century or so, and was a measure introduced to save the financial costs to officers.

Originally posted by Sparks
    Actually, it's a written rule that you can toast the english head of state with an empty glass, or with water. As I said earlier, it dates back to the 16th century or so, and was a measure introduced to save the financial costs to officers.

Yes I've seen that one too...

but at a wedding or other event you should never toast with an empty glass ... but it's more the case that before making a toast you should make sure every one has a drink so that no-one is forced to toast with an empty glass

the rule allowing empty glasses has some thing to do with cheapass Officers or some thing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Ailill

It was very bad manners to propose a toast like that in mixed company. If I was there I would just go along with the whole thing and just forget about it. I don't really place much importance on these old formalities.

On this board, I’m just another poster, just like anyone else.

No, you should behave as you would expect some one on your own board to behave.

I know people should beable to act as "Person: the Mod and "Person: not mod right now" but you should still act as you would expect a good poster to act.

No, you should behave as you would expect some one on your own board to behave.
    No, I should behave as the charter of this board dictates.

Ultimately, given that moderators act without pay, I really don't feel too inclined to be chastised by you. If you don't like that, take it to the Feedback forum, and whine there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Wow you make it sound like you've sacirificed everything in being a mod. Please the reason mods become mods is because they have an interest in a particular topic and want to see good discussion about it. They are furthering their own ends. That or they are totally power hungry and this is just a stepping stone to world domination like the way the LNA board is.

Originally posted by D
    Wow you make it sound like you've sacirificed everything in being a mod.
    No, but I've earned enough of a right not to have to listen to whinging moralists tell me what I should or should not say because I'm a mod. And as I said, if you don't like that, take it to the Feedback forum, where it belongs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Sorry you abviously missed the irony, didn't mean to offend.

Originally posted by D
    Sorry you abviously missed the irony, didn't mean to offend.
    Sorry. My bad. Was hung over.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

If you have a complaint to make, then make it the way the rules request you to.

Having a gripe does not give you the right to ignore our rules to suit yourself.

No, but I've earned enough of a right not to have to listen to whinging moralists tell me what I should or should not say because I'm a

Same applies to you too.

Now both of you either go take this little spat off-thread and deal with it privately, or accept the consequences.

jc

Advertisement