Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CD-RW for CD Recorder

• 25-03-2004 1:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭

My parents have a hi-fi seperate type CD-recorder, and are having some trouble finding compantible CR-RWs. They can only seem to find CD-Rs in the usual shops. HMV normally do them, but are out. Dixons and PC World on seperate occassions sold them CD-RWs for data, which were naturally rejected.

(In fact on the second occassion my Mam enquired in Dixons and was offered a ten-pack of data CD-RWs. She said 'I don't think these will work, I bought something similar before and they didn't', but the Dixons sales moron insisted they would work, and even borught two more heavies over to ram home the sales pitch - 'there's no difference nowadays, these are what you want'.)

Anyway, any ideas? She doesn't really need ten of them, but she would buy 10 for a good price. And preferably somewhere offline - without a credit card I'd end up using mine, and its already a little overloaded!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

check the manual of the device to see if it can play/burn CD-RW's. They are physically a bit different from CD-R's, and so aren't 100% compatible...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Hey,

Have to say, its posts like this one that keep me on boards. My initial instinct was similar to the Dixons guys - there ain't no difference, any disc will do.

But then, a bit of googling revealed...

http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq07.html#S7-17

.. i.e. for consumer stand alone CD recorders, they invented a special type of media so that the recording studios could get a cut! I had never come across that before.

A bit more googling revealed that RWs of this media are like hen's teeth (Rs are quite common still). I found one UK site...

http://www.pricestorm.com/moreInfo.asp?code=MEM5CDRWA&tabGroup=COMP1

I'd say buy em all up before they stop making em :) Sorry for your credit card ;)

C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭Genghis

Thanks for those links phibsboro. Peats look like a good bet here - aphone call to them indcates that they have some idea what they are on abaout, and that they have some in stock. Will advise folks on the availability issue. That FAQ is excellent, well written too!

Advertisement