Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barcelona Vs Celtic (2nd leg)

• 25-03-2004 1:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭

Latest News from the BBC
    Barcelona v Celtic

Celtic injury-worries Alan Thompson, Chris Sutton and Stanislav Varga all trained on Wednesday evening and are set to play at the Nou Camp.
    But with Robert Douglas suspended along with Bobo Balde, teenage goalkeeper David Marshall will start the game.

Barcelona striker Patrick Kluivert has failed to recover from a knee injury.

Javier Saviola and Thiago Motta are suspended but defender Carles Puyol has passed a fitness test and winger Luis Garcia has also recovered from injury.

Marshall, who will be backed up by 19-year-old Michael McGovern on the bench, has replaced Douglas in three league games in preparation.

O'Neill backs young keeper
    Sutton has been making slow progress on an ankle injury but the striker, who has not played since 3 March, has resumed training.

Long term absentee Johan Mjallby travels to the Catalan capital but is struggling for fitness, while fellow defenders Joos Valgaeren and Ulrik Laursen are out injured.

Paul Lambert and Didier Agathe are also expected to be fit after picking up knocks in the win at Hibernian on Sunday.

Liam Miller, who has been out with a pelvic bone injury since signing a pre-contract agreement with Manchester United, could make a surprise return to action.

The midfielder, who many expected not to play for Celtic again, made a 70-minute appearance in Monday's Under-21 game with Hibs.

Edgar Davids is cup-tied for Barcelona, having played in Europe for Juventus this season but influential midfielder Luis Enrique, who missed the first leg, will play.

Gerard Lopez should also play in midfield, given Motta's absence.

We meet again.. and hopefully Sutton can make it...

Can we do it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Took 3 hours holiday to be able to watch this match, it better be good, I'd love to see the celts win but unlikely.

But I'm sure they will give it their all.

Come on the HOOPS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Cant wait!
    What time is KO? I'll be in the pub for 7.

Comon the Hoops!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Luis Garcia is a major boost for Barca. I heard on Sky Sports News today that Kluivert is fit so we'll have to see.

Great news about Sutton, Varga and Thompson. Sutton trained this morning for the 3rd time so he should make it. The other 2 are certain to start.

I hope Marshall gets a save early on to boost his confidence. I am expecting Barca to keep pressing and they look certain to score 1 or 2 so Celtic need to score.

Every one of Celtic's UEFA cup matches last season, they played the first game at home and didn't win convincingly in most of the home games but got through the away game. Lets hope they keep it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

dont know what to think here, hope the tic manage to pull one off though i must say..

quietly confident though i must say, although after seeing ronaldinho playing on sunday it sent quivers down my spine knowing thats what were up against

saying that ive put both thompson and larsson on to score first at 20 quid each so really hoping that comes off :), could be alot of money back my way if it does (which if one of them did score first and we lost heavily it would ease the pain a bit you know?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Scammo

Id say that Barcelona might edge past celtic and its all down to Ronaldinho he is unstoppable at the moment

• Advertisement

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    Luis Garcia is a major boost for Barca. I heard on Sky Sports News today that Kluivert is fit so we'll have to see.

Great news about Sutton, Varga and Thompson. Sutton trained this morning for the 3rd time so he should make it. The other 2 are certain to start.

I hope Marshall gets a save early on to boost his confidence. I am expecting Barca to keep pressing and they look certain to score 1 or 2 so Celtic need to score.

Every one of Celtic's UEFA cup matches last season, they played the first game at home and didn't win convincingly in most of the home games but got through the away game. Lets hope they keep it up.

im really hoping celtic get an early goal, that means barca have to score 3 to go through, and with that on your mind it can sometimes put you off, i think that will be our best chance of going through dont you think?

i hope marshall does well out there aswell, playing in parkhead he looked pretty confident with the lil flick over the head and stuff but i would imagine in the nou camp that is a different kettle of fish altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭lad12

Barcelona 4 celtic 0

ronnie to get a hatrick...NO balde to make a muck of either....ronnie left him an his arse a couple of times...

also id just like to that the celtic supporters at that match booing and shouting in the minutes silence for March 11th was a disgrace...

That was the Barca fans!
    There were in support of ETA!:rolleyes:
    There was already a post on this!
    The Celtics fans were booing those who were showing support to eta!

Originally posted by lad12
    Barcelona 4 celtic 0

ronnie to get a hatrick...NO balde to make a muck of either....ronnie left him an his arse a couple of times...

also id just like to that the celtic supporters at that match booing and shouting in the minutes silence for March 11th was a disgrace...

They were booing the away team fans, read other threads here and on the BBC that explain it.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If Ronaldinho is playing well I just don't think Celtic can do anything.
    If not, It'll be a good fight

• Advertisement

No but the celtic supporters didnt observe the minutes silence at the start of the match...

and then this thing off booing the barcelona players when they were running through the celtic team...
    It was like an irish match where ya get these eejets booing present or ex Rangers players...Disgrace

No but the celtic supporters didnt observe the minutes silence at the start of the match...

Yes they were booing barcelona fans who were cheering for eta, I know your a rangers fan but come on stop talking bullshi t and read the facts

Barcelona 4 celtic 0

How old are you lad? Balde was the best player on the pitch for the last game and never once fell on his arse. Ronaldinho was the one that was muck, why do you say such stupid things? As for your comments about the booing, you obviously don't read the papers.

It looks like Kennedy will start in defence, lets hope he does well. If we score the first goal, whether in the 1st minute or 61st minute, the Barca players will panic. They will start to hit long balls which will suit us because of the difference in height.

As I said earlier, we have a good away record in the UEFA cup and while we haven't won an away game in the CL proper, we still pulled off good results.

In the last 2 years, these are the away results against the bigger teams in Europe:

Ajax 1-3
    Valencia 1-0
    Anderlecht 1-0
    Bayern 2-1
    Lyon 3-2
    Basle 2-0
    Juve 3-2
    Rosenborg 2-0
    Porto 3-0
    Celta Vigo 2-1
    Stuttgart 3-2
    Blackburn 0-2
    Liverpool 0-2
    Boavista 0-1

Notice that we have lost 10 of those games but only 3 (Porto, Rosenborg and Basle) managed to win by more than 1 goal which Barca need to do.

How old are you lad? .

I think its more a thing of jealously, he's a rangers fan, so seeing Celtic doing so well is hard for him to take.

Oh and your right eirebhoy Balde was class in the first game.

Lad12.

Can't we all just get along!:D

:eek:

Oh yeah did ya see that new nike ad with ronnie in it where it slows rite down and he goes one way and then changes direction quickly...he done that to balde on the by-line...left him on his big hole...and i aint a jealous rangers fan...i think its a disgrace when they booed the barce boys because they where more skillfull in all departments...how sad is that...and as for the red card that saviola got...Thompson made the most of it...

like yee have to admit that on another nite barce would have been 3 0 up in the first half...they had all the clear cut chances...yeah they didnt take them...they wont make the same mistake 2nite....

Oh yeah did ya see that new nike ad with ronnie in it where it slows rite down and he goes one way and then changes direction quickly...he done that to balde on the by-line...left him on his big hole...and i aint a jealous rangers fan...i think its a disgrace when they booed the barce boys because they where more skillfull in all departments...how sad is that...and as for the red card that saviola got...Thompson made the most of it...

like yee have to admit that on another nite barce would have been 3 0 up in the first half...they had all the clear cut chances...yeah they didnt take them...they wont make the same mistake 2nite....
    lol, whatever, lad Celtic ran them into the ground, balde might have done over one or two occasions, what center half doesn't!!

On the whole he was very solid and gave a great performance, Celtic drew and I think the scoreline was just.

As for your comment about thompsons sending off:rolleyes: Well I think you'd ought to watch it again, or you could go and watch Rangers playing the Uefa cup, oops sorry there not there are they, god if Celtic are **** what does that make rangers:confused:;)

Yes i know rangers are having a pretty crap season...but thats cos they sold there heart and sole to blackburn..Barry Ferguson...

Yeah well yis were making him out to be the b4st thing since sliced bread and he aint..he is jus average...If he waas such a great certre-half he would have got himself booked...which means he misses 2nite..all him getting booked(There great centre-half) means yee were under alot of pressure...barce had the clear cut chances...3 one on ones in the first half...Away from home

Lad12. Chances are not worth a f*ck.
    They don't win you matches!

If Celtic lost but had lots of "chances" that doesn't mean jack sh*t to me!

I agree with you about Ferguson by the way!
    Major loss for Rangers! He was the only player I feared on old firm day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

Originally posted by Big Chief
    dont know what to think here, hope the tic manage to pull one off though i must say..

quietly confident though i must say, although after seeing ronaldinho playing on sunday it sent quivers down my spine knowing thats what were up against

saying that ive put both thompson and larsson on to score first at 20 quid each so really hoping that comes off :), could be alot of money back my way if it does (which if one of them did score first and we lost heavily it would ease the pain a bit you know?)

Best a luck too you chiefy :x

I have a feeling you may need it ;)

• Advertisement

barce had the clear cut chances...3 one on ones in the first half...Away from home

great goalkeeping to put off:D

As Gillie chances mean sweet F all, if you don't score them

Yes i agree...like i said earlier

But i think tonight infront of their home fans they wont slip up...They are the inform team in la liga...and no barcelona team has won 9 matches in the league on trot since 19(sumthing or other) but this team has equalled it..

so it will be a massive achievement if celtic get thru...but i dont think they will...cos i dont think any scottish team could beat a top 5 team in la liga over 2 legs...(not even Rangers with Baz at the heart of midfield)

Great goal keeping...My Arse...didnt he get sent off at have time for starting a row...Thats a great keeper altogether...or was it yer saviour Balde who started it...one of them Dopes anyways...

Great goal keeping...My Arse...didnt he get sent off at have time for starting a row...Thats a great keeper altogether...or was it yer saviour Balde who started it...one of them Dopes anyways...

I was being sarcastic, calm the feck down man, god and people wonder why celtic fans don't get on with rangers fans.

As for the row, me or you weren't there, didn't the barca player say that Douglas wasn't involved do??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Id love to see Celtic go through, and as mentioned if they can get the early goal it should happen.

"As for the row, me or you weren't there, didn't the barca player say that Douglas wasn't involved do??"

Ya. I think he was trying to be peacemaker! Don't know who was actually involved!

Yeah but it involve balde and motta..they were the main to...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

What channel is it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Originally posted by bazH
    Id love to see Celtic go through, and as mentioned if they can get the early goal it should happen.

I'd say that pretty much somes up everyones thoughts on the game
    bar Lad12

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Mighty_Mouse
    What channel is it on?
    BBC Scotland, BBC3 & TG4+English commentary on Newstalk.

I have been so caught up with this game that I never looked ahead to Celtic's potential matches if they win. The winner of the game plays the winner of Roma -v- Vilarreal. Roma are losing 2-0 so we could be knocking out all the Spanish teams.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSss

Barcelona 4 celtic 0

LOL LOL LOL

Go on the HOOPS,

eat humble pie lad12.

Great result, celtic are a great side, it wasn't pretty but ground out a result.

Well done to young Marshall in goal, great game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Well done Celtic and what a performance from the Keeper,.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Respect Earned!

Well done Celtic

• Advertisement

bring on Villareal... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Doctor Funfrock

nooo barca :(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Great result!

Chuffed am I :)

cant sum up in words how good i feel

started shaking with around 20 minutes left, what a nerve wrecking match, bloody fantastic :D

tense for pretty much the whole 90 minutes, the stand in 19 year old keeper marshall was out of this world, the main reason celtic are going through in my opinion.. really hope he gets his chance now for celtic

the stand in 19 year old keeper marshall was out of this world, the main reason celtic are going through in my opinion.. really hope he gets his chance now for celtic

John Kennedy at the back was excellent aswell...

• Advertisement

oh and btw in the words of irish1
    eat humble pie lad12.

i never got involved in your lil crappy flame but i must say actions speak louder than words..

g'wan the tic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭AmenToThat

tense for pretty much the whole 90 minutes, the stand in 19 year old keeper marshall was out of this world, the main reason celtic are going through in my opinion.. really hope he gets his chance now for celtic

A no armed 90 year old granny is worth a chance in goal if the competition is Douglas
    Hopefully now we will never see that clown between the stick for Celtic again

Great performance great result, real backs to the wall stuff.

Also though Agathe and Petrov had stormers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well the keeper won it for Celtic. Barca should have won it easily. I notice O'Neill wasn't jumping around the place at the end either he must have been a bit embarrassed :D

Congrats to the Celtic fans looks like your lot are making a habit of Euro runs :)

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭TheC0CK

Excellent Celtic performance. Absolutely brilliant stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭markomac316

HAIL HAIL THE CELTS ARE HERE!!!!..WE BAT BARCELONA YOUR SEASON IS OVER AND YOU'LL NEVER GET TWO IN A ROW!!!!.........WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAIL HAIL THE CELTS ARE HERE!!!!!.

OMG FANTASTIC AGATHE, MARSHALL, VARGA, PETROV, PEARSON, LENNON, KENNEDY OMG THE WHOLE TEAM ARGH IT WAS FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH CAUSE WE ARE CELTIC SUPPORTERS FAITHFUL THROUGH AND THROUGH, OVER AND OVER WE WILL FOLLOW YOU!

cant sum up in words how good i feel
    I bet it was worth the 40 euro!;)

Marshall has earned the no.1 spot after that performance. They all played well as a team but Sutton could've put a bit more work in, he was trying to last the 90 minutes rather than get stuck in.

We will be feeling like this for every 2nd leg match from now on as we play every match at home for the 1st leg. Lets hope we beat Vilerreal convincingly in the first leg.

I bet lad12 takes another couple of days off boards after this.:)

BTW - Someone put 3,000 on Barca going through :eek: :
    http://pub112.ezboard.com/fpuntersloungefrm8.showMessage?topicID=4565.topic

Also, congratulations to the Celtic crowd. There must have been about 10,000 of them, they were all over the place. I could hear the fields of Athenry, Celtic Symphony and we shall not be moved as clear as a whistle. 10,000 Celtic fans >>> 80,000 Barca fans.

I didn't know Ronaldinho was so aggressive he was making the team panic with a half an hour to go. He also told the ref to give a card to a Celtic player which is as bad as diving IMO.

If we beat Villerreal, Valencia will be favourites to play us in the final. 3 games and all them against Spanish opposition.

BTW-Irish1, your thread about Celtic getting respect would probably be agreed with now.:)

Pure Class!
    Marshall was unbelievable!
    Can't fault any of them really!

Lad12. Would you like some Ice Cream with that pie!

Sh*t im steamed!

Better go again!

BTW-Irish1, your thread about Celtic getting respect would probably be agreed with now.:)

I certianly hope so eirebhoy. I think it has been shown once again they are a very good team indeed. They kept a clean sheet at the neu camp, without Balde!!

It was nice to see Miller playing maybe he could help Celtic to the final before he heads for old trafford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭AmenToThat

Also, congratulations to the Celtic crowd. There must have been about 10,000 of them, they were all over the place. I could hear the fields of Athenry, Celtic Symphony and we shall not be moved as clear as a whistle. 10,000 Celtic fans >>> 80,000 Barca fans.

Was great to see that the fans could mix easily within the ground, segregation was none existent yet there seemed to be very little security, what European football should be like
    Hail Hail

• Advertisement
Advertisement