Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barcelona Vs Celtic (2nd leg)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

There was one or two Gobsh*tes in the pub who booed miller when he came on!:(
    I was cheering like crazy. FFS He's still a Celtic Player!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

I have enjoed all matches on tv tis week and this was no exception.

well done to celtic.

lets hope they can go all the way this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    I bet it was worth the 40 euro!;)
    [/url]

its the best 40 quid i ever lost put it that way :p

when celtic got a corner at the end i so wanted them to swing it in (well only because i had 2 ppl on to score first, in my mind as a celtic fan i wanted them to be cautious)

was kinda gutted they didnt though as i knew my bet was gone after they did that :p

larsson didnt have a great game at all last night though, seemed to be having a bad night i thought

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Well done Marshall. I think we could be seeing a great goalkeeper in the making. Who at 19 years old would put in such a solid performance between the sticks in the Nou Camp. Fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

FFS He's still a Celtic Player
    Sorry, but a celtic player does not run at the first sign of money - he is just another modern soccer player in it for money and **** all else..

Marshall is still on kiddie wages, lets hope they get him signed up and give 48 year old agnes hedman his marching orders :)

Over both legs I would think Man U fans are glad they did not spend 20 million on ronaldinho, he was rubbish in both games.

I doubted Kennedy could do a job to be honest, but lord was I wrong. He was immense.

I have to wonder why teams in europe keep playing in high balls against us? Barca did it about 30 or 40 times last night. We are dead vunerable against quick through balls (rangers to lovenhunz for example) but everyone in europe plays high balls. I really think there are not many teams with as good defenders in the air (who can run 100 meteres in about 2 minutes tho!)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by tHE vAGGABOND
    Sorry, but a celtic player does not run at the first sign of money - he is just another modern soccer player in it for money and **** all else..
    Whats wrong with signing for the club you supported as a kid? Whats wrong with moving to a better league to challenge for bigger prizes? Nothing. It's called having ambition. Celtic are a big club and a successful one at that, but they're not playing at the very highest level week in week out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

How did Celtic keep a clean sheet? Barca must be sick!

ambition is good, but Im sorry I (and most celtic fans) value loyalty to the club above all else. Matt busby said no player is bigger than the man united, same goes for all clubs. Im sick in modern football there is zero loyalty felt by many young players to the clubs that gave them their chance.

Read the article on Harry kewal in a 442 magazine a while back, he was saying he owned nothing to leeds, and they never did anything for him. FFS they took him from nothing in australia, and made him into a (once in a while) world class player. What a wanker.

We nursed Judas aka miller from a nipper, stuck by him while he was injured for seasons on end, the second he breaks into the first team we offer him a good deal, but he pisses in our face and leaves at the first sign of a big club sniffing around..

He now goes to man u, where player in same style, nicky butt, an established midfielder for club and country cant get his game - so he knows he will be sitting in the reserves for a few season. You cant tell me playing the best teams in europe and being successfull (even in a ****ty league) is worse than the reserve league - for him *and* for ireland!

Anyway, fuk 'em - I hope he does not play again this season (IMHO - they should just let him go to man u now TBH), and we play young players who have a chance of doing something at celtic like Ross Wallace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by tHE vAGGABOND
    ambition is good, but Im sorry I (and most celtic fans) value loyalty to the club above all else. Matt busby said no player is bigger than the man united, same goes for all clubs. Im sick in modern football there is zero loyalty felt by many young players to the clubs that gave them their chance.

I understand your annoyance but think you are being unfair on Miller. Loyalty and commitment should be a two way street and Celtic showed Miller very little either by letting his contract run out. Surly its every young footballers dream to play for the biggest teams in the biggest competitions, Miller made his choice to realise his ambitions, the fact that Celtic will not benefit financially from Millers move to United is the fault of the club and no one else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

i feel the same way about miller vaggabond i must admit..

thats why i (and probably every celtic fan) love larsson so much, his dedication and loyalty to the club has been fantastic and not alot of players nowadays "play for the jersey" anymore like they used to and it saddens (read- pìsses me off) now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭lynchie

Excellent performance, Marshall, Kennedy and Pearson played a great game. Done well to hold barca off for the second half. Think Marshall may have exceeded most peoples expectations of him. Im sure he'll make many more 1st team appearances from now on in.

Roll on Sunday... Better not forget to bring me Sombrero and beach ball to the game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭lad12

VERY F*****G LUCKY...THATS ALL I SAY..LIKE LIVERPOOL A FEW SEASONS AGO WHEN THEY DONE THE TREBLE...AND LIKE THE POOL THEIR LUCK WILL RUN OUT.

COME ON THE GERS!!!

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

HEAR ME ROAR :rolleyes:

Well done to Celtic, didnt see the game but will look out for highlights to see the young keeper's saves.

lad12 : you have a right to say what you like, just be a bit careful!

Rivally is one thing, but we dont want the daily man u v the world muppets to spread to celtic versus rangers fights day after day as its just boring :)

Yeah so come on the GERS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I love the smell of banned muppet around friday lunchtime.

Celtic played out of their skins and over the two legs they certainly deserved it. Last nights match was breath taking at times, it stuff the CL matches in terms of entertainment. The best scoreless draw I've seen in ages!

As for Miller, I think Celtic must share a burden of the blame, Miller was on an awful contract when he broke into the first team, that was the time to reward him. He put in alot of work to make it and must have felt shaing seeing other players like Healy before him left in the cold. Had they offered him a contract there and then, it wouldn't be an issue, but Celtic stalled and I'm sure by the time Man Utd. expressed interest he was pretty pissed off.

I would have loved tyo have seen him stay, I really would, but given the stalling at Celtic I can understand his decision to forsake loyalty to some degree.

________________________________________________________________-
    Celtic played out of their skins and over the two legs they certainly deserved it. Last nights match was breath taking at times, it stuff the CL matches in terms of entertainment. The best scoreless draw I've seen in ages!

Eh Barcelons played the better football over the 2 legs...fair enuf they didnt take the chances...but it was like watching liverpool last nite only in green and white shirts...the home side(Like in the last leg) dominated and controlled the game...celtics first shot on target was in the 39min...thats how dominate barce were...They had their first chance when Geard was put thru by ronnie and that was in the first few minutes of the game...and it was the same in the last leg..celtic hit barce on the break when they had been reduced to 9 players...like in the first leg ronnie was dancing around the celtic back 4..if only his team mates had been on the same level of skill and class

Celtic play like liverpool and ya would have to agree that liverpool aint the best team to watch on most days...Barce made a match of it last nite...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭JippoKelly

lad 12, what did you expect Celtic to do last night?

Given the form Barca have been in lately, what team would go to the Nou Camp and go all-out attack when they're a 1-0 lead from the first leg? No team. It would be retarded.

Sure, Celtic were on the backfoot for most of the tie, but they were never completely over-shadowed. Barcelona did not have many clear-cut chances thanks to some heroic defending by the whole Celtic team. And it's not as if Celtic didn't attack when the opprtunity arose.

I think comparisons with Liverpool's style of play are unfair. Mainly because Celtic are good and Liverpool aren't. Celtic can play attacking football unlike Liverpool and they can successfully adapt their style of play to suit the opposition they are playing, again unlike Liverpool. That's the hallmark of a good side.

EH CELTIC PLAY ATTACKING FOOTBALL...(HA HA)MAYBE IN THE SCOTTISH POXY LEAGUE...BUT IN EUROPE HOME OR AWAY(NO MATTER WHATS TEAM IT IS), ITS ALWAYS COUNTER ATTACKING FOOTBALL

AND THERE IS ONLY ONE TEAM I KNOW WHO PLAY LIKE THAT AND THATS LIVERPOOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭JippoKelly

Liverpool don't play counter-attacking football. Just s**t football. :D

• Advertisement

YEAH I AGREE WITH YA ON THAT ONE :D ...BUT WHEN THEY WON THAT POXY TREBLE A FEW YEARS BACK..IT WAS ALL COUNTER ATTACKING FOOTBALL..AND IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY THEY PUT OUT BARCE IN THE UEFA CUP TO...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

lad12, football is a game of attack and defence and fortunately Celtic's defence was better than Barca's attack. I'm sure any Barca player would praise Celtic's defensive displays and admit they deserved to win. Rijkaard believes Celtic will go all the way and win the cup. Nobody has kept a clean sheet against Barca in the league in 11 games and in the Nou Camp in 16 games, we have done it twice in a row.

I don't even know why I am replying to you as you never listen and you won't be far off a ban.

BTW - Stop with the bloody CAPS.

YEAH LIKE LIVERPOOL A FEW SEASONS BACK WHEN THEY WON THE COMP...THEY HAD A "GREAT DEFENCE = 11 MEN BEHIND THE BALL" JUST LIKE CELTIC LAST NITE...AND LIKE THEY ALWAYS DO IN THE EUROPEAN CUP COMPS...BORING BORING CELTIC:o

BORING BORING CELTIC:o :o:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Lad, you have been banned for a week for continual trolling across a few threads.

lad12 : please take off caps lock, and post normally like the rest of us..

BTW - marshall was on a small contract, like miller was, and they offered him a nice deal this morning, and no **** with agents, he just signed it on the spot..

see that, trust and loyalty..

More scotish players (at all clubs, not just old firm) could learn a thing or three from him..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Great result for Celtic. Listened to the game on News Talk 106 and was impressed by the young GK. Seems Barca threw everything at them in the last 20 mins and they did well to withstand the pressure.

Great result and fair play to them. Looking forward to the next round.

Tinky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

great win for celtic, although to be honest i'd have been dissapointed had they not gone through, i fully expected us to go through.

nothing less than winning the uefa cup will do now, its vital we go 1 step further than last season. marshall isnt an airhead like some young teenagers, he seems cool and calm in the spotlight and keeps a level head, good prospect.

barcelona are way over-rated anyway, the spanish league is in general, premiership is the best league in the world, not the spanish.

as for celtic struggling in the premier league. :rolleyes: surely all the doubters have woken up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭markomac316

Celtic offered Miller more money than Man Utd. I dont mind Celtic playing him they pay his wages, hes a celtic player but if he goes in for a 50 50 ball somewhere in the back of his mind will be "next season im playing for man utd do i wanna win this and risk getting injured" cause I know it would play up on my mind. Thats the only reason why I wouldnt play him.

A few people booed him in the pub I was watching it in so I stood up and cheered for him. He wants to play for Man Utd, he wants to play in a more competetive league than Scotland fair play to the lad is all I can say, plus it means young Pearson can get a run out cause he has been amazing in recent weeks, just his final touch, if he could perfect it the kid would be a GHOD.

Just my opinions on the MILLER saga.

But on the UEFA cup thats gotta make us favourites surely, especially going up against another Spannish team, they gotta be crapping themselves cause we just knocked out Barca.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭markomac316

Sorry only saw them other posts.

LAD12 you just sound like a jealous fool. Saying Celtic just defend in Europe thats utter bull****...Did you watch any of the games this season or last?

So who do Rangers play in the next round again I forget *looks around* does anyone know the answer to this question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭lynchie

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    Lad, you have been banned for a week for continual trolling across a few threads.

awwww.. I was looking forward to hearing what excuse lad12 was going to make on monday morning after we beat them on Sunday....

• Advertisement
Advertisement