Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAT6 Gear

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The existing Avaya stuff for Cat 5E work with Cat 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

Avaya?

Also, whats a good switch to get? I'm looking to upgrade my 10mbit hub...

Darragh

Avaya are a medium to high end provider of network equipment. They are a very good brand it seems.

You might as well get yourself a Gigabit switch if you have CAT 6 cabling and upgrade your network card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Cat6 and gigabit gear is expensive ... get cat5e gear and a 100mbit switch you'll be alright .... much easier to wire up and points and tools are cheap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

Is there a difference between the wiring processes for cat5e and cat6?

They'd have to be the same otherwise how would cat6 work with standard rj45 plugged ethernet?

Darragh

• Advertisement

The only inhibiting factor of Gigabit is the increased outlay required for equipment. I wouldn't imagine the installation process is any different when using CAT5e equipment, just make sure you termintate everything properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

cat6 needs much more careful wiring .. the pairs have to remain pairs up to the last 5mm before you connect them ... also it has to be properly shielded. you can be a lot more slap dash with 100mbit stuff (but not overly)

[edit]
    i forgot to mention that gigabit switches cost a bomb ... 8 port unmanaged from simply computers is ~£200 (first hit in google)
    [/edit]

Advertisement