Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iol Broadband Contract

• 25-03-2004 4:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,
    ive posted this topic up under a few different places and i havent gotten the kind of help i needed(no offence!)
    First of all when i ordered my iol broadband it took them 5 weeks to get it to me and the only reason i got it that early is because i rang up and told them i want to cancel my order,when i finally did get my broadband i kept getting disconnected and my transfer speeds were absoloute cack.
    On top of all that everytime i ring iol tech support(i know the number off by heart now from the amount of times ive rang them)it takes about a half hour to firstly get through to them and then when you get through they transfer you to so many different people you've forgotten what you rang up for in the first place.
    Now,what i wanna know is how the f*ck do i get out of this sh*te contract deal before i lose my mind and end up smashing my router.

GartH:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Well first you must have given them time to correct the problem.

Failing to do that your next step is to phone them up and ask to speak to someone in connection with dissolving your contract. If they say, "You can't cancel your contract.. blah it's 12 months", tell them that under Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act Section 39 you are entitled to cancel your contract because IOL are not providing a service of merchantably quality. The contract was signed in the expectation of a reliable service that lives up to its advertising which are demanded under that act. That is clearly not being provided. Therefore tell them you are exercising your consumer rights

39.—Subject to section 40, in every contract for the supply of a service where the supplier is acting in the course of a business, the following terms are implied—

( a ) that the supplier has the necessary skill to render the service,

( b ) that he will supply the service with due skill, care and diligence,

( c ) that, where materials are used, they will be sound and reasonably fit for the purpose for which they are required, and

( d ) that, where goods are supplied under the contract, they will be of merchantable quality within the meaning of section 14 (3) of the Act of 1893 (inserted by section 10 of this Act).

That should at least get you a supervisor. You can argue then regarding what you owe...

Push comes to shove stop the direct debit payment by phoning your bank. Then wait for them to phone you up.

X

Advertisement