Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do we have CAPS?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Originally posted by vibe666
    the infrastructure is there.
    The infrastructure is falling apart. The cost of bringing it up to par with other countries has been estimated at €1billion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

most of the uk have uncapped dsl also and theres people knocking off 4gig a day on it every day yet the contention ratio is 50:1 with exchanges way more populated with users than ours and theres still no problem, im not asking for uncapped dsl just a more reasonable cap, 30gig a month is not too unreasonable. Just coz we want a higher download limit doesnt mean we want it for warez. Some peeps have 2/3/4 computers linked up to their broadband with some ppl gaming and the others surfing - that would eat an 8gb cap in no-time. Gaming, windows updates, gaming downloads, patchs, video streaming, online radio all legal but they eat caps like nobodys business, a 30gig cap would make all services alot more comfortable, even atm after playing a couple of hours of cs thats nearly 80mb used.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

In fairness to UTV and IOL there is a reason why they have a cap and it is Eircom.

You see no caps only work if all the big players (Eircom in Ireland) offer a service with no cap and this way the big downloaders would be equally dispersed amongst all the companies and would therefore not be a burden to any particular company.

Take the case of Netsource, initially they offered a no cap service, but because nobody else offered no caps they got all the big downloaders singing up, while the light downloaders stayed with the cheaper caped services. Therefore NS got swamped because nearly all their customers where big downloaders and the service surfered terribly.

IOl and UTV have a cap to protect themselves from this happening to them, if Eircom removed their cap, UTV and IOL would also happily remove theirs.

BTW Emboss, I can see many reasons why someone could use a lot of bandwidth without it being illegal.

For instance I work from home sometimes, and I often have to download new builds of OS ISO's, large workspaces, etc.

The riduclous thing is that I don't use my BB to download these, instead I use my iRiver iHP-120, a digital audio player (like the iPod, but it doesn't suck like the iPod :) which can also act as a 20GB USB2 Mass storage device, download stuff at work and bring it home.

Another legal use of bsandwidth is Philips cool new range (www.streamium.com) of Stereo's and multimedia devices that connect to your broadband router and can play/stream thousands of internet radio stations from around the world or watch music videos on yahoo launch, short films, TV shows and movie trailers off the internet.
    Very cool, increasingly consumer electronic devices are going to be bb enabled and they are going to eat up a lot of bandwidth. Welcome to the connected home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

Im stil on dialup and i snag about 5 gigs a month, and get pings of around 150 on good servers when gaming, tbh, It seems like broadband isnt worth it.

When I was living in holland I paid for cable, but that was different, 45 squid a month for 512 full duplex uncapped. crazy low pings too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

BTW Emboss, I can see many reasons why someone could use a lot of bandwidth without it being illegal.

No one's saying there isn't :)

I'm not against a non capped service

but as you pointed out with NS that could have been a fantastic service if people hadn't of taken the piss (for any ns warez munkeh's I KNOW WHAT IT WAS ADVERTISED AS)

I'm with NTL 1mb line apparently a 30gb cap

now even tho i know i never come near it i watch it out of intrest...

i stream music 7 days a week, i browse constantly i download the odd iso i play unreal online alot i download what i need WHEN i need. and watching it over the last two years or so i've never came near any of the caps the other isp's have set even tho i wasn't capped myself

(maybe a few times when i first got it the novility wore off fast tho)

the problem is people grabbing every peice of crap that's out there LETS DOWNLOAD EVERY EPISODE OF THE SIMPSONS THAT I MIGHT WATCH ONCE!

why ? because they can and it was that sort of greed that RUINED Netsource.

do you have to download every fecking game that was ever released

every peice of software INCASE ye might use it one day ?

this is what ruined NetSorice and THIS is why no one else will bring in an uncapped service at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Don't you just love the "holier than thou" contingent? If people just use their broadband connection for emailing their granny and checking property prices online, they'd be better off going back to 56K land or buying a newspaper. If I or anybody else wants to download MP3s, DVD rips, XBOX games or even just listen to a 128K ShoutCast stream fair play to them. The people moaning about "their" bandwidth being commandeered by others are like the twats who think they can drive on the outside lane of a motorway at 50MPH cos they pay road tax too and it's their right to be there... :rolleyes:

Move over, someone's trying to get past!

who said anything about mailing their granny ??

GAMING, STREAMS ISO DOWNLOADS....
    If I or anybody else wants to download MP3s, DVD rips, XBOX games or even just listen to a 128K ShoutCast stream fair play to them.

Well I want to shoplift from HMV but them poxy magnets and security guards piss me off....as for getting into night clubs for free well feck them bouncers anyway.

Banks why can't I just walk in and take someones elses money...who do they think they are stopping me....

yes another educated Netsource exeeeeee

well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Originally posted by colin300
    I can tell you the day Ireland is released into the world of no caps is the day that the irish telephones stop working because the exchanges will be under so much stress from everyone wanting to get BB. Not Irish Broadband (with caps) but real broadband (without caps).

you've a lovely way with words....:p

vote with your purse luvvy. just don't do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭colin300

ur telling us Emboss that downloading is wrong and your on NTL and you said yourself u went over it a few times when you got it then the novelty wore off. Thats what i said. dont go changing your mind now
    I said people would download all the stuff they ever wanted and then after a while they would have everything and slow down downloading. if you dont like us complaining go on eircom for €40 a month and a 4gb cap and see if you go over.

ur telling us Emboss that downloading is wrong and your on NTL and you said yourself u went over it a few times when you got it then the novelty wore off. Thats what i said. dont go changing your mind now
    I said people would download all the stuff they ever wanted and then after a while they would have everything and slow down downloading. if you dont like us complaining go on eircom for €40 a month and a 4gb cap and see if you go over.

did i say downloading was wrong? i was on an uncapped service so no i didn't go over the NTL cap I was comparing myself to the other caps at the time which i think was 4gb on eircom. is there a point to this ?

eircom broadband business enhanced 2mbps €169 24:1
    Download Allowance Unlimited

if you want all the crappy warez/divx/mp3's on the planet sign up pay the money and stfu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Well emboss, if you ran your own broadband ISP (not that you'd get many customers by the sound of things...) what you you let users do with their connection? Would you report them to the cops if you had evidence they were downloading something they did not own the copyright on? Thankfully it's not your job, or an ISPs job, to police what people download and upload. Companies like bayTSP and WebSheriff get paid to do that. Holier-than-thouness really gets on my tits.

Originally posted by ChipZilla
    Well emboss, if you ran your own broadband ISP (not that you'd get many customers by the sound of things...) what you you let users do with their connection? Would you report them to the cops if you had evidence they were downloading something they did not own the copyright on? Thankfully it's not your job, or an ISPs job, to police what people download and upload. Companies like bayTSP and WebSheriff get paid to do that. Holier-than-thouness really gets on my tits.

ok you seem a little slow.......

try reading over the thread again......s - l - o w - l - y

you might see something like...I'M NO ANGEL

which means...especially for you..........

that i just MAY have downloaded ilegal software/mp3's! shock ****ing horror.

and clueless little idiots get on mine......(tits that is don't want you missing anything)

anyway i'm off to bed while my 1MB PULLS DOWN SOME SERIOUS AMOUNT OF WAREZ FOR THE NIGHT PULLING AT ABOUT 130KB/S

:ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

and IF i ran my own ISP i'd have IQ tests on the signup page...so you'd be rightly F*CKED for starters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Englands BB network is able to survive Millions of people downloading everyday why not ours?
    BT are known to put people who DL alot onto a slower line / line that breaks down alot.

=====

A fact that alot of these n00bs don't seem to grasp. BB hasn't been here that long. Only a few thousand actually buy it.
    Now look @ South Korea. Nearly everybody has it. Its been there for a few years.

=====

Finally, does anyone know when the "dark optics" go on? Currently there's a couple hundred miles of the stuff, still turned off. It goes mainly along next to the ESB wires.

=====
    Originally posted by Emboss
    anyway i'm off to bed while my 1MB PULLS DOWN SOME SERIOUS AMOUNT OF WAREZ FOR THE NIGHT PULLING AT ABOUT 130KB/S
    130? Slow line. Hate that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

no real point in arguing about the caps any more for the moment till we sit back and see what happens in the next 8 months or so, by then we should all be due another cap increase anyway, even if its small better than nothing, our caps keeping going up very slowly but surely. In UK Bt seem to have the right attitude tho, they have just launched a lite broadband 512k service for £19.99 a month but with a 1gig monthly download+upload allowance, for £10 extra you get the 512k with 30gig a month download allowance and anything over £30 per month is unlimited download/upload afaik, this is the sorta model we need here really. Something to suit everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Emboss, repeating the same point ad-infinitum isn't going to get more people to agree with you. Moaning about moaners is, well.. I don't even need to continue.
    Originally posted by the_syco
    BT are known to put people who DL alot onto a slower line / line that breaks down alot.

Got a link for that? Most ISPs in the UK certainly don't.
    A fact that alot of these n00bs don't seem to grasp. BB hasn't been here that long. Only a few thousand actually buy it. Now look @ South Korea. Nearly everybody has it. Its been there for a few years.

The UK has ~10% penetration for broadband.. a tad more than 'a few thousand'. South Korea has >50%. Ireland has ~1.5% iirc.
    Finally, does anyone know when the "dark optics" go on? Currently there's a couple hundred miles of the stuff, still turned off. It goes mainly along next to the ESB wires.

The ESBs fibre network has been completely lit for a number of weeks now. It's got rather little to do with this thread, mind.

Moaning about moaners is, well.. I don't even need to continue.

I don't mind them moaning at all, as long as it's over on your forum :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Got a link for that? Most ISPs in the UK certainly don't.

NTL do the same....

"BT Retail operates an informal download capping system on its broadband service, and says customers shouldn't download more than one gigabyte of data per day."

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communications/broadband/0,39020342,39119124,00.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

I do have to say that comparing Ireland with our countries in Europe is a little silly.
    Take Holland for example, sure you can get cable/dsl for somehing like €20 a month with a fair usage policy of about 30gigs a month but then again Holland is the size of Leinster with over 4 times the population of Ireland.

Even in the poorer EU countries that have broadband (slovenia etc). Yes they have 8mbit or more uncapped but again they have higher populations and higher population densities (also their isps might not be in if for the quick buck ie Eircom).
    Just so you know, some ISP's in Belgium have a 1gb monthly cap or a slightly higher download cap with 1gb upload cap. They do pay less for it tho. In spain they have caps, a really ****ty network and really dodgy pings. Ireland is bad but tis not the worst anymore and remember, nothing happens overnight (especially with Eircom around).

If you were an ISP and your main rival said, 4gb cap on 512/128 products for €45. Your hardly gonna say ok well ill give them uncapped 512/128 for €40 when you could make just as much money from a 16gb cap and selling it for €40. It saves you money without really loosing too many customers (bandwidth costs do add up for isps's).

Now if you really want uncapped products then i suggest Esat /Eircoms ADSL or even Netsources business products (I got it, its expensive but really worth it in terms of no cap (low pings wih esat) and little or no downtime).
    For those of you who say its too expensive but i want it , i say, i want a ferrari but i cant afford it, doesnt mean you make the local dealership sell you one for the price of a fiesta. And for those of you who want it but cant get it, i do sympathise but unfortunately we can't always get what we want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Ok firstly bout the BT thing, I work for BT indirectly on there BB. They have two seperate networks over there atm. At the moment all res customers are getting shifted over to the main BT backbone line. (BT Broabband customers are already on this and I'm pretty sure they mostly been reselling these lines to resellers for last while too. Bt Openworld - now BT yahoo is other company.) The business customers are being left of the other network to keep them seperate it seems.
    they have just launched a lite broadband 512k service for £19.99 a month but with a 1gig monthly download+upload allowance, for £10 extra you get the 512k with 30gig a month download allowance and anything over £30 per month is unlimited download/upload afaik

All res packages have the AUP. In regards the 1GB a day, unless someone at the exchange puts in about there line being slow they dont do anything. Even if someone does you get warned first. They have no real system for monitoring downloads. They can pick it up per session if they want to. I've dealt with few slow connections and alot of the time they move the customer who complains about the slow connection to a different gateway that doesnt have alot of usage on it.

Over here, yes everyone knows the lines are able for more. I have the NS one with 16gb on it. In total I've downloaded under 5GB on it this month. All my main downloading gets done either in work (200k downloads or in collage 550k downloads). I've clocked up alot of time on the home line. Remote logins in and stuff and I'd really hate for pings to go up but an uncapped line would be nice. It's a pain having to watch downloads. (saying that I got nearer the cap in my first week than I have this month)

Advertisement