Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does the pearl Jam good stuff stop at Ten.

Options
  • 25-03-2004 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭

I recently got Pearl Jam's first album 'Ten' and really enjoyed the first eight songs and the live version of 'alive'. A few days after this I also bought VS. I've only listened to it once and came away from it not really impressed. Is it worth getting any other Pearl Jam albums or is Ten the only good one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

I thought Vitalogy was good. Maybe thats just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

Most Pearl Jam albums are a mixed bag. IMO you should go for the Live on Two Legs album 1st, it has most of the best tracks from the 1st 5 albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭MarkMI6

I suppose if you don't like the creative and explorative side to their music then you won't like anything beyond Vitalogy, but fans (like myself) generally thing their music is evolving and getting better and better. Riot Act was an amazing album, **** record sales.

Can't understand how you don't like Vs, but since you don't then you probably won't like anything beyond Ten. Your loss ;) I'm listening to a recent live version of In My Tree just now and it's quite brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

i love it all, i dont get how people can only like ten, but then i suppose if rock and angst are all you're looking for, you couldn't appreciate the rest properly anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I like Vs too, but after that Yield is the only thing which comes close.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

what Markmi6 said :D

If you didnt like Vs, shame on you... nah, seriously though, maybe try No Code or Yield.
    IMO, i think every album is brilliant, as Mark said, Riot Act was great, but didnt sell well (got good reviews though)... thankfully theyre such an established band that they dont need to sell in huge numbers, the record label knows they have a strong and loyal fanbase..

anyway, their weakest album for me would be Binaural, and thats still great, just the one out of the 7 studio albums that I would listen to last.

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭one-angry-dwarf

I think that while ten is excellent as a record, other pearl jam albums have some of their best songs (do the evolution, corduroy, brain of j), but also some of their worst (evacuation). ten is their most consistent with very few bad songs. but if you liked ten id recommend getting a few more cds and giving vs a few more listens. it took a while to grow on me, as did no code, but they're both great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Does the pearl Jam good stuff stop at Ten.
    - no.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by flogen

IMO, i think every album is brilliant, as Mark said, Riot Act was great, but didnt sell well (got good reviews though)...

Sadly, no Pearl Jam album after Vitalogy has sold well. No Code sold in the region of 1 million, the next three nowhere near even that (Riot Act approx 250,000).

Still manage to play to hundreds of thousands on their tours, mostly all on the strength of Ten/Vs/Vitalogy.

:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭The jock

what are your favourite songs out of all of the pearl jam albums.
    these are mine:
    off he goes
    insignificance
    i am mine
    better days
    long road

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭staringelf

hmm. thats a tough one. mine are (in no particular order):
    release (ten)
    off he goes (no code)
    state of love and trust (film soundtrack i think, not on any official album anyway although i thought lost dogs should have included it)
    i am mine (riot act)
    black (ten)
    once (ten)
    nothingman (vitalogy)
    dissident, rvm, indifference and elderly woman.. (all from vs)
    in hiding (yield)
    brain of j (yield)

that was tough, i left out lots that i could easily have thrown in but they are my top 10 if i was pushed.

i know it sounds stupid, but there are very few songs of theirs that i wouldnt put on my 'list', its all a matter of time a mood.... some songs are brilliant one day, ok the next, and vice versa, but they seem to be the perfect soundtrack for anything... certainly one of my favorite bands..

ive mentioned it in another thread, i have all their studio albums (as well as the Dublin gig and lost dogs), and now Im starting to get them on vinyl, have ten and no code... sounds really nice too (and no code is packaged beautifully.. im a bit of a sucker for that kind of stuff :D)

Flogen

Originally posted by flogen

ive mentioned it in another thread, i have all their studio albums (as well as the Dublin gig and lost dogs), and now Im starting to get them on vinyl, have ten and no code... sounds really nice too (and no code is packaged beautifully.. im a bit of a sucker for that kind of stuff :D)

Flogen

Perfectly understandable. Vitalogy is worth getting on vinyl as well, beautiful package.

I've a shed load of the bootlegs (25 or so) and I have to say some of the live versions of their own stuff kick ass, as well as the better covers (Crazy Mary sends shivers down my spine). The many versions of Daughter are worth the price of the CDs alone, especially the version from the last Seattle show in 2000, and the one that made it on to the Touring Band DVD.

All time favourite = Off He Goes :cool:

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Ten is the only album I could get into by Pearl Jam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

State of Love and Trust and Breathe are on the Singles OST - usually quite cheap and has good tunes. Do not buy it on vinyl though - very poor sound quality due to it being over an hour long

as for the albums, I would rank them as follows

1 No Code
    2 Vitalogy
    3 Riot Act
    4 Yield
    5 Vs
    6 Binaural
    7 Ten

the Angry Love bootlegs (4 volumes) are worth getting. Try Borderline
    #1 has Ten outtakes and live stuff
    #2 has Vs outtakes and live stuff
    #3 has Bridge School Benefit live stuff
    #4 has all the Fan Club Xmas 7" singles on CD

the live albums for the 2000 tour are good - hard to know which ones to buy though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 brandnewspoon

vs is probably their only other album that matches ten in terms of pace although the rest tend to vary a lot but are much more explorative in terms of their own musical ability, my own fave being yield. if any of you liked this as much as i did then you should really consider getting single video theory- it really puts the album into perspective as well as being a great documentary.

id be really interested in getting the vinyls, where do you guys get them? and what price range are we talking about here?

Last time I checked, Borderline in Temple Bar had a few.

Other than that try online.

i have angry love 1... pretty decent, some nice stuff on it (i like the way they encourage bootlegging....), although alot of the b-sides are on lost dogs (not the different versions and live stuff though)

also, Vitalogy is my next buy, once i get money (i think its one of the best CD designs ive ever seen).
    You can get them in Sound Celler, although he seems to have cut back his Vinyl selection... price wise, i got Ten in HMV on sale, it was less than a tenner I think, i got no code as a present, so i cant give you a price.
    check out www.pearljam.com though, they have some vinyl there, from about $10 to $20 (for lost dogs, cos its so big), which is a good price IMO (and if you have it). I think theyre out of stock of some stuff there though...

The thing about Pearl Jam is, theyve kinda led me onto so much more grunge. I used to like Nirvana, but tbh, lost interest in them... they have some great songs, but there was always something about them... something that bored me :p
    anyway, I got into Pearl Jam, then heard about Temple of the Dog (downloaded Hunger Strike, loved it, so wanted more... for those of you who dont know, TOTD was a once off colaboration between Pearl Jam members and Soundgarden members... twas made just before Ten I think. it was a homage to Andrew Wood, singer of Mother Love Bone, who died of an overdose. Chris Cornell was close to him, as were the others, except Vedder, and this was their vent/tribute, beautiful album, some really great songs). After getting TOTD, i was interested in hearing some Soundgarden. Bought Superunknown, loved it, bought down on the upside, loved it. Am planning to get more. Liking Soundgarden led me onto Audioslave.. guess what? I loved it... now Im moving backwards to Chris Cornells solo album (what ive heard is really good, the mans a genius), and more recently to Mother Love Bone... just because i had to learn more about them after hearing TOTD. Im sure I'll soon be listening to all the PJ solo projects, and tracking down Bad Radio stuff (if it exists).

*phew*

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭MarkMI6

For more Seattle music try Screaming Trees, Mark Lanegan's solo work, Mudhoney, The Melvins, Green River, Three Fish and Mad Season.

For related music, try Kyuss, The Replacements and Paul Westerberg's solo work. I'm sure I know of more but I can't think of any ATM :/ I'll update this post if I can think of 'em.

Edit: related music - Meat Puppets, Live, Desert Sessions CDs and that's about it unless you go off into odd side projects and stuff never released outside of Seattle/America. There's a hell of a lot of great music in these bands though so have fun (:

You might even class Sixteen Horsepower in amongst them, they've by no means got straight links to any of 'em but the odd time you can feel a sort of eaarly 90s alt rock vibe off them. Not often but bugger it they're great anyway.

yeah Green River Dry As A Bone/Rehab Doll CD is great. Try Sound Cellar for it,

as for Pearl Jam vinyl, no problem getting them as they came out. Nowadays Borderline is best - should have no problem getting them on EBay/GEMM

• Advertisement

I can't believe nobody's mentioned Alice In Chains...:(

Get Dirt and be blown away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭9lives

I love yackin' on about Pearl Jam. To be a PJ fan in Ireland you normally have to have been around since day one or just happened to stumble over them on the net such is the lack of coverage they get in the mainstream press.

I personally don't listen to "Ten" all that much. I wasn't in to it at the time and before 2000, the only album I had was "Vitalogy" (which I loved). I bought "Vitalogy" when it came out because I dug 'Spin the Black Circle' (a mere sound clip on TOTP as they had stopped making videos at that point).

I agree with nlgbbbblth and flogen regarding 'Binaural' being one of their weakest. Their mid-90s phase with "No Code" and "Yield", although both have some damn mediocre moments, they also reach career-highs ('Hail Hail', 'Habit', 'Faithful', 'In Hiding'...the list is quite long).

"Riot Act" is probably their best album in my eyes, but I can't believe the sales figures I read below. It's really quite sad.

Give "Vs" another go. I think it's a way better album than "Ten" - perhaps it will grow on you.

- 9L

Originally posted by therecklessone
    I can't believe nobody's mentioned Alice In Chains...:(

Get Dirt and be blown away.

Agreed; a fine album and their best although Facelift is impressive

The Jar of Flies and Sap EPs are excellent too
    and I have a soft spot for the Unplugged LP

speaking of Pearl Jam live albums I got this in HMV yesterday and it is seriously good

Pricey - €33 but worth it!

reviews here

Mansfield Ma: July 11th 2003 - Triple CD marathon!

first disc is a great acoustic set

Disc: 1
    1. Long Road
    2. Of the Girl
    3. Sometimes
    4. Off He Goes
    5. All Those Yesterdays
    6. Driftin
    7. Thin Air
    8. Sleight of Hand
    9. Footsteps
    10. All or None
    11. Parting Ways
    12. Indifference

Disc: 2
    1. Can't Keep
    2. Breakerfall
    3. Brain of J
    4. Spin the Black Circle
    5. Ghost
    6. Green Disease
    7. Tremor Christ
    8. Given to Fly
    9. Nothing as It Seems
    10. Cropduster
    11. Faithful
    12. Why Go
    13. Wishlist
    14. Leatherman
    15. Nothingman
    16. Betterman
    17. 1/2 Full

Disc: 3
    1. MFC
    2. Blood
    3. Encore Break
    4. Breath
    5. Habit
    6. Down
    7. Mankind
    8. U
    9. Black
    10. Jeremy
    11. Encore Break
    12. I Believe in Miracles
    13. Know Your Rights
    14. Fortunate Son
    15. Rockin' in the Free World
    16. One Note
    17. Encore Break
    18. Yellow Ledbetter

heres something interesting, in boston they recently played three gigs, and they attempted to(and succeeded i think) in playing every track they had, and not repeating anything from the other nights.... would have been brilliant to see all three gigs, or at least get the three bootlegs ;)

true about the coverage 9lives, but tbh, i think thats how they like it, and theyve done what they could to make it like this..... sure Vedder nearly killed himself with drink and drugs after the explosion of interest for Ten

Flogen

Originally posted by nlgbbbblth

Mansfield Ma: July 11th 2003 - Triple CD marathon!

first disc is a great acoustic set

Disc: 1
    1. Long Road
    2. Of the Girl
    3. Sometimes
    4. Off He Goes
    5. All Those Yesterdays
    6. Driftin
    7. Thin Air
    8. Sleight of Hand
    9. Footsteps
    10. All or None
    11. Parting Ways
    12. Indifference

Disc: 2
    1. Can't Keep
    2. Breakerfall
    3. Brain of J
    4. Spin the Black Circle
    5. Ghost
    6. Green Disease
    7. Tremor Christ
    8. Given to Fly
    9. Nothing as It Seems
    10. Cropduster
    11. Faithful
    12. Why Go
    13. Wishlist
    14. Leatherman
    15. Nothingman
    16. Betterman
    17. 1/2 Full

Disc: 3
    1. MFC
    2. Blood
    3. Encore Break
    4. Breath
    5. Habit
    6. Down
    7. Mankind
    8. U
    9. Black
    10. Jeremy
    11. Encore Break
    12. I Believe in Miracles
    13. Know Your Rights
    14. Fortunate Son
    15. Rockin' in the Free World
    16. One Note
    17. Encore Break
    18. Yellow Ledbetter

Have it, and it is definitely a highlight of the 2003 bootleg series. The acoustic CD is worth the money alone.

This show is the third of the three Boston shows flogen refers to. And the band didn't quite manage to play every track they've recorded, but very close to it. I think they missed 7/8 of the studio tracks. AFAIK, the intention was to play every track (including numerous covers) they had rehearsed for the tour, which they managed to do between the three shows.

That CD is available here Djangos for $17.99. They also have a shedload of the other bootlegs, and if you spend $50 or more on new CDs you get free p&p.

Cheaper than €33 from HMV. Sorry it wasn't in time to save you a few quid nlgbbbblth...:(

Originally posted by therecklessone
    Have it, and it is definitely a highlight of the 2003 bootleg series. The acoustic CD is worth the money alone.

This show is the third of the three Boston shows flogen refers to. And the band didn't quite manage to play every track they've recorded, but very close to it. I think they missed 7/8 of the studio tracks. AFAIK, the intention was to play every track (including numerous covers) they had rehearsed for the tour, which they managed to do between the three shows.

the other shows were 2 and 3 July; are they available for retail sale do you know?

I think they missed 7/8 of the studio tracks

just thinking about it and it would be pretty hard for them to play certain tracks... such as Foxymophandlemomma (or whatever it is), is that included in the 7 or 8???!!

Flogen

• Advertisement

Yeah it is, bit I think there are more obvious ones than that. I got a handbook to the bootleg series from Tenclub last summer, I'll have a look and get back to you.

nlgbbbblth, did you check that link to Djangos? I'm not sure if I saw the other 2, but try there and then amazon.com after that. Good collection to have.

Advertisement