Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classical Studies

Options
  • 25-03-2004 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭

Not a very popular subject but I did it, well... snot popular in my school anywho.
    me is in 5th year, and I'm is obviously doing it for LC
    Just wondering if many people here did it, or are doing it
    and what areas have you covered

IMO, I think the novels are hardest.
    I'm doing The Odyssey (doing it now), The Pelopenesian War, and The Aenid (didn't do it yet though)

Painting and buildings is easy enough I think... just alot of remembering... nothing to exactly expand on I guess.

Town planning is a bit rusty for me since I have a real bad teacher for it.

So far in the year I didn't do crap-all study, but I plan to in sixth year (hopefully:)).
    And I may need to in a month or so for summer tests, probably.

But anywho, joo do Classical Studies?
    Whatcha think is hardest part of it? Easiest?

grr... hate damn Telemachus :mad:

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

doing it myself.

you will get the option of doing a play called "the frogs" or a play called "prometheus bound"...
    do the latter!

shorter and so much simpler!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Im doing classical studies, im in 5th year as well.

We`ve done the Odyssey and now we are on the Aeneid. A useful thing to do is to do sheets after each chapter on Gods, Odysseus, Telemachos, Pallas Athene, Society, Personalities etc cnt remember the rest. When you are doing the Aeneid do the sheets again but also one on the similiarities between the two. Its literature so you have to be able to discuss it, the sheets make it easier for the essays and revision.
    I dont mind Telemachos :p Poseidon cool :cool:
    Art and Achitecture good when you can visualise it, lot of learning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Nedrac

I'm in 6th this year, and doing classics for the leaving. It is an offered subject in my school. I am doing the following topics and if you need help feel free to ask.

The Epic:
    Odyssey
    Aeneid
    Tain

The Peloponesian War.

Alexander the great.

Roman art and architecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I did classics last year, got me a shiney A1 :)

Did :

The Peloponnesion War
    Epics(Odyssey and Aenid)
    Drama(Oedipus and Medea)
    Plato: The Republic

The history ones are the key to getting a high mark, you should be aiming for 100/100 in this, and its possible to do.

Similarily in Plato you should be aiming for very high marks, or in most of your cases Art and Architecture.
    You need to get very high marks in these.

The epics and the drama are the harder questions to get high marks in, as you can only write the essay so well, as its English.

Good Luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

Originally posted by PHB
    I did classics last year, got me a shiney A1 :)

for leaving cert? :O

• Advertisement

Mm, yep :) Hence on the leaving cert board :P

coulda been for the end of fifth year ¬_¬
    :ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

Could have, Quank, but that's not doing the leaving cert.

I'm also doing Classics, making me the sixth certified Classics student on boards...

I'm studying:
    Epics (Aeneid, Odyssey),
    Peloponnesian War,
    Roman A & A and
    Augustan Age poetry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

i do:

Drama: Prometheus, Medea nd Oedipus

Novels: Odyssey and Aeneid

Philosophy: Plato's Republic

Roman Historians: TAcitus and Seutonius

Originally posted by goo
    Could have, Quank, but that's not doing the leaving cert.

5th year the first year of studying for the leaving though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

I did:
    The Oddyssey
    The Aeined
    Romam A+A
    Oedipus
    Medea
    Alexander The Great (my fav, cant wait for film).

It has the highest failure rate in the whole leaving cert I think. Some where around the 50% mark? I could be wrong.

The subject is easier imo if you do Higher English, as it can help you explain various situations, characters etc with greater ease. Saying that though, i only got a B3 in higher classics. I love my A2 in English though.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

I think the failure rate's 20/30%. Still, fairly steep all the same.

what coincidence... one of my classics teachers told me today that the (current) failure rate is 32% afair

The failure rate is not high because its hard, its high because the people doing it pick classics cause they think it'll be a doss.

If you do any work at all its very possible to get a good B mark in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Failure rate for last year was 21%

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Originally posted by funky penguin
    I did:
    The Oddyssey
    The Aeined
    Romam A+A
    Oedipus
    Medea
    Alexander The Great (my fav, cant wait for film).

:D

i'm doing the same, it's fun in class but my last test i got 21 percent, with to months till my exam's¬!

help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Originally posted by PHB
    The failure rate is not high because its hard, its high because the people doing it pick classics cause they think it'll be a doss.

If you do any work at all its very possible to get a good B mark in it

Yes, and it helps if you write fast aswell. :D

8 essay type questions in 3 hours isnt it?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I too am doing classics.

Odyssey is beautiful, possibly cos I was a big fan of "Ulysses 31" when I was young :) .

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

The Oddyssey
    The Aeined
    Roman A+A
    Oedipus
    Medea
    Alexander The Great

hmm u guys didnt have Paul Birmingham by any chance? (Institute and Belvo)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I'm in 5th year and I've done Classics all through secondary school, I love it! We've done Greek drama (Oedipus, Medea, Prometheus Bound) and Alexander the Great, we haven't chosen our sixth year topics yet. Any suggestions?

I was just on a Classical Studies school trip to Greece, we went all over the Peloponesse and it was beautiful... I want to go back *sigh*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

Originally posted by nesthead
    hmm u guys didnt have Paul Birmingham by any chance? (Institute and Belvo)

yes, yes i do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

i've got bermo too. how did you know? are you guys in belvo or in the institute?

am in the institute

does he act sound or real strict there? he's really sound in our classics class but he's meant to be strict in his latin class. also when the class does badly in a homework does he go kinda mental and act like he's cross examining the class? i was in greece with him during the summer and he does know a volume of sh1t about classics inc. latin and greek

he is strick in that he does not allow anyone to be whispering and dosing but other than that he is ok.

not to tout my own horn and all but almost all of our class gets high grades. it's not that difficult. he just says that he keeps a track on who does homework and who doesn't and he just hands that list to the supervisors

he does know his stuff alright but i don't think i'd want to go on holiday with him :)

yeah if you do the work you get 50's in the essays and tests really easy. the way he acts is brilliant sometimes, i dunno bout in the inst. but in belvo it's like his 'main' school if you know what i mean and if someone is acting the bollix he acts like he's a barrister or something and tears them apart. i find it funny anyway:D he was ok in greece, he bout us all pints one night which was sound

Advertisement