Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paul Scholes

• 25-03-2004 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

Well as we all know the best midfielder in the premiership hasnt been playing great lately but the next 2 games could be the ones to turn it all around for him!!

arsenal are always crap against man u and i think it will be scholes returning to form that wins both games for them! anyone agree?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

agreed:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

dream on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Doctor Funfrock

we will see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Scholes is a great player - but Arsenal always crap against Man Utd? That's stretching things... that's what I love about you Man Ure supporters - always such an unbiased analysis of the facts...

It'll take more than an on form ginger prince to beat arsenal on sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I have to say I've always admired Scholes' attitude when he's playing. Man U are always shakey when players like Scholes and Keane are missing.

I think the form of teams go out the window when a game like this comes along but I'm quietly confident that United will give a good account of themselve on Sunday.

With Scholes getting back on form and the return of Ole Gunnar (good performance last weekend) the signs are good for an interesting last couple of months in the PL

Tinky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Paul Scholes is a legendary midfielder. Always popping up to score crucial goals for Manyoo. And I think it's amazing that a player of his ability can be so modest and focused on his game...

However I have to disagree, Arsenal don't always play poorly against Manyoo. Thats just ridiculous... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

Originally posted by tinky
    I have to say I've always admired Scholes' attitude when he's playing. Man U are always shakey when players like Scholes and Keane are missing.

I think the form of teams go out the window when a game like this comes along but I'm quietly confident that United will give a good account of themselve on Sunday.

With Scholes getting back on form and the return of Ole Gunnar (good performance last weekend) the signs are good for an interesting last couple of months in the PL

Tinky

When you take two world class players out of any team especially infulential players they're shakey.

look at arsenal without henry/viera

as a untied fan...I think we're going to get a hammering i'm afraid :(

scholes or no scholes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Originally posted by Doctor Funfrock
    we all know the best midfielder in the premiership

No he is not! There are at least three ahead of him :

Stephen Gerrard
    Roy Keane
    Patrick Viera

In no particular order. Granted he is a super player but i wouldnt say he is the best in the premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Scholes is an attacking midfielder, while Keane and Viera are defensive.
    Gerrard while maybe attacking just isn't as good as Scholes is, yet :)
    Soon he will be, and probablybetter but atm he's not.

I think Scholes is the best second striker in the world, playing behind the front man in the hole, he just knows exactly what to do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

think Scholes is the best second striker in the world, playing behind the front man in the hole, he just knows exactly what to do.

dont forget pires, by far the best attacking midfielder playing in england today
    his strike rate says it all and he always gives his best and never gives up
    makes loads of room aswell for others to exploit

my vote for player of the season

• Advertisement

I think this thread is about Scholes . . not Pires and there is no poll here either !

Tinky

I think this thread is about Scholes . . not Pires and there is no poll here either

yea i know but when someone makes the pint about him being the second best attacking midfielder in the world then i try and out the record straight(ever hear of rui costa, kaka, van der vart, nedved, figo, pirlo ,duff or lampard even...ok lampard is going too far but you get my point!?)

scholes was **** hot at the end of last season, but he has never really performed for england(when last did he score for them?) or this season either(only a few games here and there really) again not saying he is a bad player just putting things into prespective
    just saying that pires is a better player then him and your not challenging it so... am i not making valid points here?

i know there is no poll but then again there is no sign saying talk about paul scholes only!
    and yom mentioned vieria, gerrard and keane so why not say it to him?:confused:

arsenal are always crap against man u

if that isnt an attempt to troll then what is and just look at his posts per day then you will see why this thread exists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭da_deadman

Scholes - the best midfielder in the premiership? HA!

Vieira is the best, simple as that. The original comment was that Scholes was the best midfielder, not just that he was the best attacking midfielder. Therefore it is fair to say that Vieira is better than him.
    IF concentrating on attacking midfielders then he is still not the best. Pires is much better, and Duff is better. So that means Scholes is now down to joint 4th with Gerrard.

It is always funny that United fans can be so biased and so far up themselves that they cant see the plain truth. Some of them still claim that United are the best team in England! Its crazy. Give the gunners the respect they deserve!

And Im not an Arsenal fan either.

I really ain't in the mood for another Gunners v Manu row but let me address some of your points re Scholes and Pires
    scholes was **** hot at the end of last season, but he has never really performed for england(when last did he score for them?)

Both players have made 60 appearances for their country during their careers, Scholes has scored 13 goals and Pires has scored 11.
    yea i know but when someone makes the pint about him being the second best attacking midfielder in the world

Nobody said he was the second best midfielder. Scholes' normal position is in the center while Pires is on the wing, in that position Duff and Giggs would be up there with him.

Just my opinion but I think Scholes has all the attributes you mention for Pires.

Tinky

It is always funny that United fans can be so biased and so far up themselves that they cant see the plain truth. Some of them still claim that United are the best team in England! Its crazy. Give the gunners the respect they deserve!

I have no problem giving the gunners the applause they deserve but Man U supporters are not the only ones guilty of tinted glasses, for example I'm sick of hearing LFC supporters going on about their team being the best ever !!!

Then surely thats what being a fan is all about though, believing that your favorite team is better than all others. Wouldn't it be very dull if it was any other way. I've just researched the Arsenal crap against Man U theory and it would appear to be fairly even on the results table so I can't really support that theory and as I said earlier - form goes out the window for these types of games.

That said when Paul Scholes is on form its difficult to discount united in any game he plays in.

Tinky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Scholes is a Top class premiership player and is one of few man utd players who get my respect.

Although at international lvl he is very poor
    last goal : Euro 2000 qualifing against scotland , november 1999 i think but im not sure .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Doctor Funfrock

Keane is twice the player Vieira he is, he is maybe the best holding midfielder of all time! comparing pires and scholes is stupid, pires plays on the left and is a combination of giggs and scholes (but not as good as either). not long til we ruin arsenals season now, the bar wont save them this time... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 SanFranMan

I cant think of a better player in Scholes' position, but I guess the intention of the thread was to incite and its worked.

As for an inability to assess the footballing world without biased perspectives, I'd suggest the talent lies pretty evenly among ManU, Arsenal, and LFC "fans". I guess its the nature of being a "fan" rather than a spectator.

Re Arsenal crap against United, they had one over ManU in the 01-02 season (didnt they do the double over them), but either side of that, I think United usually outperform them on the day, particularly the last 3 PL meetings.

Not much point in looking more than 7 seasons back, unless Bruce Rioch is of any relevance(?)

Keane is twice the player Vieira he is, he is maybe the best holding midfielder of all time!

whatever im not going to answer thoughtless comments like that:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

we will see

Good was'nt he?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Well as we all know the best midfielder in the premiership hasnt been playing great lately

Tugay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

The one thing Scholes can never be accused of is diving ;)

He gives it all even on a a day when he may not be on top of his form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

I think Edu is playing the best in the arsenal midfield at the moment,ahead of viera etc. As for the best midfielder in the preimiership, in terms of this season, lampard has made leapsalong with duff, always looks like he has a goal or two...Scholes hasnt shown much form for united since 99. He had that spell at the back end of last season which sealed the league, but he has only got 1 goal in europe every season since the 99 season..bit disapointing for me. Again he didnt play well yesterday, looks a shade the player he was/can be,maybe its down to the positional change.. whos to say?

the 1-1 draw sets it up nicely for the FA cup clash next w/e tho.....

john

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Theres no way Lampard is thebest midfielder in The Prem. He went missing for the two arsenal games in the league and cup where arsenal dominated the Midfiled for most of both matches, true he posps up with good goals like against wolves on saturday but to be the best he should be doing thata against the top clubs as well.

Scholes is excellent when played in his best position and so is Pires but they do not play the same positions so comparison are pointless.

Advertisement