Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The future of Star Trek

• 26-03-2004 12:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

its becoming clear to me that Rick Berman is being ****ed around by the executives who fork out te cash for trek. they are taking away his funding bit by bit, the shows get worse and the ratings go down. what is going to happen to trek??? no new films on the horizon and rumours of the great enterprise being cancelled? **** like stargate is getting new series with all their stupid fans claiming it is the best, if so how come trek has 5 shows to its one?? well?? come on trek fans, we need to support our show!! ww) ww)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

can someone ban him or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

ratings are up this season and bizmark will attest to the fact that star trek has more viewers then star gate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Doctor Funfrock

it wont be like that for long the way things are going!!! if man u can struggle in the premiership then star trek can too!!! nothing stays around forever :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

In all fairness now, the rating can't be but higher, since stargate is shown on Sci-fi and Ent is shown on a mainstream station (UPN), besides, stargate was around the 1.7 - 2.3 mark this year, which is the highest rated show Sci-fi has ever had.

And to the original poster: :rolleyes:

Berman and Braga are the problems, not the solution. Bring Behr, Moore and Piller back!

it had 2.5 for the last ep of this seasion (which is like 2.6 million viewers in america)

• Advertisement

berman is THE man. the next generation was rubbish then berman came along and bam it was brilliant!

you gotta keep pushing, keep your composure, we've come too far :(

you have to be a troll you really really have to be a troll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

The original script by Moore and Piller was much better than the one eventually used (you can find it floating about the net), it was then butchered by Berman to make it more transitionary between the TOS crew and the TNG crew which is what imo made it crap.

ok well we'll just have to agree to disagree ok! berman has done well to keep star trek alive and i thank him for it!

yeah the ds9 group of pillar and behr and co where good alright

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Doctor Funfrock
    ok well we'll just have to agree to disagree ok! berman has done well to keep star trek alive and i thank him for it!

yes berman has done well with the franchise but it hasn't been only him, similarly brannon and braga did well with first contact, but the group in general seem to be slipping these days and they are going to need something good to turn it around if they don't want to lose loyal fans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

Personally I was against setting the latest Star Trek series in the past. I wanted to see a post-Dominion War setting with Voyager back home so Janeway and co.could guest-star :cool:
    Admittedly from 'ST:Nemesis', the universe didn't seem all that different after the War, but I still thought the new series should have been set either in the TNG/DS9/VOY time frame, or moved further into the future.
    Watching 'Broken Bow', I enjoyed the pilot a lot more than I expected to. The initial run of episodes had some good ideas that kept my interest, but by the end of season one, I was getting tired of the directionlessness of the show.
    My main reason for dropping Enterprise from my viewing schedule in season 2 was the glut of poor episodes, and the complete lack of anything approaching an arc. Only the temporal cold war episodes were worth watching, and even then, they weren't always good.
    Then word of an arc came filtering through, and the season 2 finale came along. I sat up and took notice. From the moment Enterprise left the space dock towards the end of 'The Expanse', it just felt like the show finally had something worthwhile going on, and the cliffhanger was fantastic.

Season 3 so far is the best Enterprise season yet. I like the Xindi, and I feel even the standalone episodes this season are more watchable, thanks to the new backdrop of the Expanse, and the Xindi. Proof that an arc doesn't have to be suffocating & difficult to follow for casual viewers.
    I never liked Berman & Braga's aversion to having an ongoing storyline in Enterprise. The best scifi out there has arcs, e.g Babylon 5. Even Stargate SG-1 which has been mentioned in this thread already has an arc plot. The producers' rationale of keeping Enterprise simple with standalone episodes to attract casual viewers was clearly silly when SG-1 was only GAINING viewers as their arc became more complex.

Their insistence on bringing in all these established races that messed with continuity didn't wash with me either. Fine the Borg episode was one of the better ones last season, but it wasn't what was needed. New ideas, and new writers are more important that annoying stunt episodes for Sweeps. Plus because of the new unexplored region, there isn't as many continuity errors that are popping up this season. For example, 'Impulse' this season had buckets more suspense, and interesting developments with the Trellium D/insane Vulcans, compared to 'Regeneration' with the pedestrian Borg goings-on.
    Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but there are new writers this season I think. Even if there aren't, I still think that taking a chance on the Xindi arc has obviously injected the show with a much needed creative boost on all levels.

However, despite the improvement of the show, I think the turn-around is too late to capture any of those viewers who tuned into Enterprise expecting something different from the standard Trek show. I know plenty of people who disliked the first 2 seasons and aren't bothered giving the show another chance. It's a shame, because it really is an excellent scifi show, and the arc keeps me coming back.

My one remaining problem with Enterprise is this: I'm always thinking in the back of my mind, that when Enterprise ends it will either totally mess up the continuity of ever other Star Trek series, or they have to use a temporal reset-button approach. With all the time-travel, it seems inevitable that changing the events of the Enterprise timeline will have to happen on some level.
    I don't like the idea of either ending really, but I feel that because the series is set in the past, the writers are kinda stuck because either way fans of Enterprise won't be happy. Now clearly you can't please everyone all the time, but I think this is a little different than say Voyager, where most fans wanted Voyager to get home, and there was a clear popular opinion that the finale had to see them get back to the Alpha Quadrant. Enterprise I feel is restricted by being set in the past.
    For example, let's say Enterprise find some Xindi base, with the Earth-destroying weapon and some temporal research station. They blow it up, saving Earth but also somehow triggers the destruction of the whole Expanse. Enterprise is destroyed, and some temporal shockwave ripples out, fixes the earlier attack on Earth and nobody remembers anything about Archer,Enterprise, the Xindi etc. It neatly fixes all the continuity that's been messed up, but would that make ANY viewer happy?
    Of course, if the series was set post TNG/DS9/VOY, they could mess with everything & not have to reset things, or have people get annoyed about continuity all the time.
    Then again, maybe Enterprise season 4 will be set in the 29th century after the ship flies into a time portal in the Expanse, and it's game on with a new armed-to-the-teeth Enterprise fighting in a future war against the Xindi :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Some nice ideas you have there but what they hell are you doing posting at 2 in the morning? You silly nocturnal creature. I personally have never liked enterprise from the start. I dunno what it was about the show. Perhaps it was the fact that the ship looked way more advanced than the 1701. Ok granted they didn't have the technology back then and i'd except that too only for the ep of ds9 when they travel back to the kirk era with the tribbles and everything still looks retro. So i dont understand how it can go from advance... retro... then back to advance, just doesn't make any sense. Secondly... the klingons have cranial ridges in enterprise?! No... just... no! No i just never seem to wanna watch akiraprise anymore...

well if you can accept the limitations of technology on the look of the enterprise in the 60's then we have to accept the limitations of budget and such which causes the klingons to look the way they did. the klingon thing doesn't bother me though as its such an in joke at this stage which was just highlighted in that trials and tribbulations episode when worf says he doesn't want to talk about it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

I always thought it wud be cool to set a series at the academy. But then I realised the cadets wud get on my nerves

I agree with TCamen in that I wanted to see a bit more of janeway and co, probably cos that series did the best job of bringing you close to the crew. Although the ending did sorta feel right......

I think I had a point to make when I started this post, know I cant remember it :confused:

Advertisement