Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kurt Vonnegut

Options
  • 26-03-2004 2:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭

I'm reading Slaughterhouse 5 at the moment, and it's absolutely brilliant. Has anyone read anything else by Kurt Vonnegut- any recommendations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭disco_rob_funk

by any chance, were you watching some shiite film a few nights ago starring the luscious Katie Holmes and featuring an army of brainwashed killer preppy jock-types & an apparently retarded janitor who secretly reads the book in question?

it's just too much of a coincidence not to ask, 'cos that was the first time I'd heard of the book... it sounds interesting.

RC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

No thats a sh1tty film that drops his name tryin to be hip to the hippidy hop
    Same with that sh1te with al pachino an colin farrell the superhero type

Breakfast of champions is good i hear
    Only read slaughterhouse 5 myself
    Tiz fair savage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Galapagos and Cat's Cradle are excellent too, Breakfast of Champions is a tad uneven.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Galapagos is quite good

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Read slaughterhouse 5 and breakfast of champions, Also started galapawhatever. Dont really like his style , didnt even like slaughter house 5 that much which everyone was ravign about , am I the only one whos not mad about him ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

I read "Mother Night" a few weeks ago and "Timequake" the other day. They're both very different (to everything else I've read and each other) but I enjoyed them both a lot.
    "Timequake" is mental, it's basically his memoirs, or something to that effect, hidden in the form of a novel about him writing a novel (with the same name!) and his feelings about the book after having been forced to go back in time ten years and write the book again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I read slaughterhouse 5 last night and I loved it, it is imo how books "should" be written.. but if all books were like that, it would become somehow less fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

"Venus on the Half Shell". Read it years and years ago. Very funny as far as I remember.

Kurt Vonnegut wrote it under the psuedonym Kilgore Trout - a pulp science fiction writer who is a recurring character in his novels.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

hehe, I loved kilgore trouts books in slaughterhouse 5

gotta get some more of kurt's stuff, if they're only half as good as slaughterhouse5 then they're sure to keep me very entertained

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

Player Piano is well worth a read.
    as is Breakfast of Champions.
    He writes excellent articles too, see my sig.

came from this
    http://www.inthesetimes.com/site/main/article/cold_turkey/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

2 factual errors leap out;
    The Chinese were so dumb they only used gunpowder for fireworks.

actually they invented cannon

http://www.sfusd.k12.ca.us/schwww/sch618/War/Cannon.html

http://www.china.org.cn/e-gudai/8.htm
    Arabs also invented the numbers we use, including a symbol for nothing, which nobody else had ever had before. You think Arabs are dumb? Try doing long division with Roman numerals.

We call them Arabic numerals because we learned them from the Arabs, they in turn got them from India

http://www.lis.uiuc.edu/~chip/projects/timeline/600oberlander.html

Advertisement