Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dawn of the Dead 2004

• 26-03-2004 3:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

whats this gonna be like?
    i booked my ticket on wednesday for it tomorrow night late show in the omniplex
    any more boardsters going to it?

hopefully at least it'll be a patch on the original!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

yeah, I loved the original dawn of the dead, and night of the living dead (I hated when they tried to artifically colour it later on. I saw a bit of the coloured notld and it loooked terrible).

I wasn't too crazy over day of the dead though, too cheesy and the script was atrocious. Loved it when the general got his legs torn off, though("choke on 'em!"). Did you know that they used rotten cow flesh for the guts. The zombie cast actually had to eat this stuff, and they were puking all about the set. Also the smell wasn't ment to be the best (at leasty it fit the atmosphere of the film).

Romero's next one is going to be twilight of the dead, but he better make it soon, cause he's getting old.

Is zombie flesh eaters any good??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Senor_Fudge

zombie flesh eaters is brilliant buy it now for about 15 euro in zhivago i think
    its really surreal cheesy but class
    better than day of the dead but not as good as dawn
    its definately a different take on the whole zombie thing
    its one of those ex video nasties
    watch for the eye scene!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Wtf is that picture in your sig nexus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Senor_Fudge

ya its weird

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

The pic in Nexus's sig is from the video for the track called Windowlicker by Aphex Twin.

Desperately want to see this film now. though I'm still not too crazy about the whole 'running zombies' idea from what I've seen so far the dircetor seems to have a done a decent job, also all the reviews I read for it rated it fairly highly.

• Advertisement

seems like 28 days later, in the the way that the zombies are hyperactive.

Isn't the idea from 28 days later taken from that Romero flick, with that psychotic disease. What was the name of that film?? Personally, I wasn't crazy about it, 28 days later was much better.

Did you know that Alex Garland wrote the story and script for 28 days later?

I remember, I saw the bit in zombie flesh eaters, where the zombie attacked the shark, and there was all mellow spaced out music in the background. Very weird scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭CH

the first 20 minutes are the most upbeat and jumpy, after that it's pretty bad. there's a few funny parts though (watch out for them shooting famous look-a-likes).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Im looking forward to this , I kinda like the running zombies...makes them *that* bit scarier.

Will go over the weekend and post up a review in the stick !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭UnrealQueen

Unfortunately there is not a thing scarey about Dawn of the Dead. It's quite funny alright. I thought it was a horror.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Originally posted by UnrealQueen
    Unfortunately there is not a thing scarey about Dawn of the Dead. It's quite funny alright. I thought it was a horror.

Well....I dunno...I mean, Army of Darkness was technically a "horror" and it was about as scary as a cheese sandwich. Still fun though.

• Advertisement

I thought it was fantastic ! Really really good , didnt try to be scary really , zombie movies rarely are. It was un-nerving though and really gorey in an old school way ! 5 stars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

I went to see it on Sunday, then again on Monday. I really enjoyed it lots.
    The first 10mins or so were great; right into the action. I liked how we got to see a bit more of the zombie 'invasion' in the early stages cos '28 Days Later' kinda skipped all that.
    The humour was well-judged, especially the sarcastic guy :p
    It's not the scariest movie ever, but it's fun,gory & entertaining!

Just as a side note, I haven't seen the original movie, just Night & Day-- Amazon didn't have any copies of Dawn when I went to order it with the other 2 grrr.
    I'd definitely agree that Day of the Dead isn't the best. I found it a little too meandering in parts, and it wasn't scary at all.
    I enjoyed Night a lot-- more than I expected to, mostly cos so many zombie movies have taken bits from it over the years. Gonna have to check out the original Dawn pronto methinx!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Verdammt

Seen this today. Funkin' great.

Best remake I've ever seen.

Scared the funkin pants off me.

Here's a link to the flash game on the website, if anyone's interested.

*Click*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

That game is well cool! :D

33 zombies is my best so far!

Went to see it again today , enjoyed it just as much as first time , interested to see what Angelwhore thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

Sorry lads, but I just saw it and I thought it was, honestly, laughably bad. I can usually take "action" centred films for what they are, and even enjoy them, but I couldn't with this. They made the charcters too naive, in my opinion, and the plot developments were really predictable. The worst thing, for me, was that some nice ideas were put in, like the
    "Guess Who" with guns thing
    and that made the disappointment all the worse.
    Also, I was convinced, in the montage over the end credits, that they were going to die at sea, which I thought was a great idea. Seeing their unfortunate trip to "Zombie Island" really let me down, pretty muched clinched the deal.

I have to say, I thought that was bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I thoroughly enjoyed it, and thoroughly enjoyed the pectacle of a shocked silent Savoy crowd thanks to the end.

Just for emphasis:

Silence.

In the Savoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Zaphod B

Originally posted by Senor_Fudge
    zombie flesh eaters is brilliant

:confused:
    Ah now that's definitely a matter of opinion.
    Personally I can't stand it, not sure why but it might have something to do with the terrible acting, utter stupidity of the characters (i.e. you're frozen in shock while a zombie slowly crawls out of it's grave and proceeds to eat you - even though you've had half the film to grasp the concept that there are zombies here and they eat people), generally not caring about the characters, lack of any Romeroesque subtext or in fact any point to the film at all... in fact the only thing it has going for it is the eye scene, like most Fulci movies I can think of, a single scene with high shock value is the only reason it's not utterly forgotten.

As for DODT2K, I found it entertaining, I could have found better ways to spend 2 hours (like watching Zatoichi which I still haven't done) but then I could also have found worse ways. As has been said it's really just a throwaway action-based movie, and if you take it as such you won't be too disappointed, but try to think of it as "Zombie Movie 2004" rather than associate it with Romero's trilogy.
    It didn't scare me, it didn't make me think, but unlike the other movie mentioned above (which also did neither) it did keep me entertained for a couple of hours.
    In summary I'd say go see it if you've nothing better to do, but if you don't get around to it you won't exactly have missed an important part of film history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

I thought it was quite enjoyable. It's nowhere near as good as the original, but it was very entertaining and violent(chainsaw, hehe). Probably the best remake I've seen in a long time.
    It's no zatoichi though, Beat Takeshi > *.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

The next "Dead" film is not called Twilight its called Dead:Reckoning

Zombie Flesheaters is a great laugh as is the new Dawn of........... but I still think that Dawn of the Dead from 1978 is the best Zombie film ever.

If you want to read the scripts from the orginal version of Day of the Dead (really excellent but you will see why it was cut due to expense then PM me)

Emmo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Man i saw it last night and i have to say, it kicked serious tail. One of the goriest films ive seen in years!! And the best zombie flick in ages too, loved the ending too. I felt sorry for all the dopes who left when the credits started to roll, they missed the real ending!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I thought it was pretty ****in whopper. I havent seen Day of the Dead...can anyone tell me anything about that like wether or not its worth seeing?

And whats all this jazz about Twilight of the Dead? Is that to tie in with the other three movies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭HacksawEddie

i have day of dead on video, i thought it was a bit lame compared to the first two, but that was about 2 yrs ago, so im gonna have to give it nother chance and watch it again soon
    but i hae to say, i was surprised with dawn2004!
    i thought it was bsolutely brilliant, the opening scene with the kid was great and it kept going fom their.
    IMHO its one of the best remakes ive ever seen (along with texas chainsaw last yr) as it kept the main aspects of the original but gave it a modern and up to date feel without gettin too far from the point!
    when i first saw in an ad that the zombies were running insted o crawlin around like idiots, i thought "uh, oh, this could be as bad as theremake of night of the living dead bout 15 yrs ago, but when i saw it, it felt right.
    they did a great job, goes near the top of the remakes tree

Advertisement