Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Download Speeds

• 26-03-2004 6:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭

I've got a 56k connection, I connect at 42 kbs. My download speed is maximum 4-5kbps. Crappy!

What type of download speeds do you get from BB ?

I dont understand if Im connected at 42k why are my speeds around the 4kbs ?

Sorry if this seems like a stupid queston ok.
    :rolleyes:
    ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jonhate

56kbs modem means its 56 kilobits(kbs) however transfer speed is usually measured in (KBS) KiloBytes. There are 8 bits in a byte.

So you divide 56 by 8 to get what your max transfer speed is.. so if your at 42kbs it would be at most 5KBS transfer.

On broadband i have 512kbs which means I should get about around 60KBS but I usually get about 50KBS and pretty good pings as well.

Hope that makes sense.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Thanx jonhate.....nail on the head..

;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

Same as mine jonhate :D i love it ! pings are sweet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Originally posted by LastIrishMonkey
    Same as mine jonhate :D i love it ! pings are sweet

who are u with ? , how sweet are the pings ?

John.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

he's either on IOL or Eircom id imagine.

pings would be around 25-35ms ingame to irish servers and 30-45ms ingame to uk servers.

This morning I did a lil test, wanted to play counterstrike but all my servers where empty so I got a few american cs servers, one was a New York server and the other was a Texas server, i had a stable ingame ping of around 120ms to the New York Server and a stable 165ms to the Texas Server. The Texas server was most fun tho, it was quite a change hearing nothing but texan accents while playing cs:D I had no noticeable lag at all, only when i checked the scoreboards that I would see that I had a 56k style ping.

• Advertisement
Advertisement