Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

prescott temp is 65+ @ bootup help

Options
  • 26-03-2004 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭

i got a a 3.2 prescott with 1mb l2 cache ive know it can be overclocked to 4ghz which im looking forward to .its booting up @ 65+ degeres form a cold start up my rig is a COOLMASTER WAVE MASTER CASE: A INFINEDTY i865PE .1GB OF KINGSTON 400 MHZ DDR , ATI 9800 XT ,A 550 WATT PSU , 2X 200GB DIAMODMAX PLUS 9 +A 160GB ON RAID , anyway to the point this chip is to hot for any of the cpu fans and heatsinks ive used ,.frist i used the 2.6 intel heatsink "not a hope "then i bought a coolmaster aero not the cooper one it was 16 euro in it direct not great for this chip but great vaule for chips below mine , then i went to peats and got a gigabyte rounded heatsink with the fan sitting in the center with a copper plate it was 50 odd euro i was gutted over this cos the 16 euro coolmaster was better than this ,then i went up to elara and bought myself a termaniltake spark 7 copper heatsink and fan this is what im useing now its the best of a bad bunch ive order a watercooling system from elara im now on new ground so im wondering do any of you out there have any ideas that might help me but one important thing i have to explain is i have a wireless network running through my house this is my main system there media one is for under the tv its a msi barebones bought in peats for 399 euro anyway i use this one in my bedroom to download through out the night
    so one big factor is niose i dont want a jumbo jet in the room with me ,so on that note i will ask for any help possible and ill thank you in advance nice one

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

I know Prescotts run much hotter than Northys, but your temps are way too high. Did you use the correct amount of AS3/AS5? (approx half grain of rice).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Sounds like a CPU/Heatsink contact issue ya want to check that. Check with the motherboard manufacturer to see if there is a issue with the temperature sensors. Abit boards report are off by 10'C, maybe its not reading the temp accurately.

How many case fans do ya have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

erm.. dude....

sorry to break this to you, but whoever told you prescott would overclock to 4ghz must have been joking. it's not achievable with anything short of top-of-the-range phase change cooling.

this processor has been labelled by the press as "preshot", because of it's ridiculous termal dissipation. 65C isn't surprising but it's a bit high. you will need a cooler capable of handling 100W of thermal power just for running this chip at the default clock and default voltage. if you want to dabble into overclocking, look for at least 120W.

with a fantastic air cooling, which means jumbo-jet engine sound levels, you might be able to get 3.6-3.7ghz out of the chip. at that speed prescott is still slower than a northwood at 3.4ghz, not to mention that it turns your pc into a furnace.

intel coolers are better than anything gigabyte put to the market, at least to my knowledge. so the fact you're not getting much joy with these toyland coolers is no surprise.

to cool that yoke you'll need something like this: http://www.nexustek.nl/ppr1030.htm

you should be seeing temps around the 55C mark when idle and 65-70C mark when under load.

personally, i'd dump the prescott in favor of a cooler and faster northwood, and save some money in the process by getting a 2.8C and overclocking it.

if you already ordered watercooling it should be able to handle 100W+ of heat. depends really on what you've bought and how you're going to set it up. there are some woeful implementations out there, but most are ok. if you were thinking of putt the graphics card or chipset in the watercooling loop, i'd advise you against that. the prescott cpu is going to dump so much heat into the watercooling system that you'll end up heating the other components instead of cooling them.

good luck!

alpha also make great performing coolers, and they have a baby that cools even preshot:

http://www.micforg.co.jp/en/nw040203e.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭dubdvd

ok to explain a bit more i picked up this prescott for only 200 euro well not even that cos i d a swap for a 9600 pro and an adsl modem both of which i got for choice ,i not foolish eough to pay mad money ,any how ive got four 80mm fans in my rig 2 front one on top and one at the back and im also useing one that i got from a zalman power flower fan which ive got srewed to my card openings and placed above my cpu hratsink and fan . the watercooler ive been thinking of getting is a new Thermaltake Aquarius III Liquid Cooling System , if any one have any veiws or dealings with the old versions of Thermaltake Aquarius please let me know i was planing on buying some watercooling rig but i dont know much about them the guy in elara said this one is good for what i want it for plus im trying to track down an extreme p4 so either way it will be usefull ,so any help would be great lads plus i dont use a credit card so if possible it would be great if any of the hardware that you recommed is in ireland nice one:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

thermaltakes watercooling is terrible compare to high end air cooling

thermalright sp94 (i think it's called) is good

zalman CNPS7000AL is what i have on a p4 3ghz @ 32C at boot up.

the zalman you can purchase in peats.

the zalman will do, but expect temps in 50+ range.

now erm.. i thought you were looking for a quiet system. can't really say that fits in with the 4 80mm fans but maybe my idea of quiet and your idea of quiet are two different things.

the aquarius 3 doesn't look too bad, but it's kinda awkward, only has a 80mm fan, and gets really loud at the high setting - 48 dBa.

here's my recommendation:

swap the preshot for a northwood, they're faster anyway.
    get a decent watercooling setup, i'd recommend danger den.
    include the cpu, graphics card and motherboard in the watercooling loop.
    get a decent pump (hydor L30, eheim 1250)
    get rid of ALL the fans, and replace with a single 120mm fan.
    if temps get a bit high, take another 120mm intake fan
    run the fans off 7v or 5v instead of 12v.

you'll get a better performing system than you currently have, and you'll be able to hear yourself think.

other option - get a high-powered air cooler for the preshot. you won't hear much difference anyway with 4 80mm fans running. :)
    (zalman, alpha, swiftech etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Netman is talking sense here, you'd do well to take the advice, and dump the prescott. Even if you got it for what you think is a good price, you will save time, effort, money on heatsinks and electricity bills by swapping it out.

Advertisement