Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's 1mb eircom dsl like now

• 26-03-2004 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭

I'm sure this has been discussed before but i can't find it and i did do a search. I'm thinking of getting 1mb dsl from eircom and i was just wondering do this still have interleaving turned on and thus giving horrible pings?

I remember chief( i think it was him) saying he wanted to downgrade to 512k so he could get a decent ping, so it is it still the same now? Also i was going to get a router and split it up so could have two ports for it, one upstairs one downstairs. I don't know much about this so could anyone tell me would this result in a quality drop in the connection speeds for both PCs? Can that be fixed by just unplugging one of them when you want to get the most out of the other?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the only answer i can give you is that the eircom 1mb adsl still has the same high pings as before (60ms - 80ms) with interleving turned high. It seems as if this will always be the case. I dont know much about the connectivity issue but id imagine the connection speed would remain the same on both computers just that what you download on one computer would take away whatever bandwidth from the other..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

I was using the 1meg until they upgraded mine to 2meg. Pings are relatively high... about 55 or so to boards.ie. Eircom completely refused to remove interleaving from the line when I asked. Connectivity is good. I think the line has been down for a few minutes in the last month. Throughtput was a little over 100KBps, and is now about 205KBps since it was upgraded.

It's cruddy value for money, with relatively high latency but it is reliable. And the upload is too low, for that matter. It should be 512.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭ando

yeah them 2 meg lines fly along !!! Fasted I've ever seen the internet :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Originally posted by Horsefumbler
    I'm sure this has been discussed before but i can't find it and i did do a search. I'm thinking of getting 1mb dsl from eircom and i was just wondering do this still have interleaving turned on and thus giving horrible pings?

For ADSL products, yes. Pings are as ssh advised. ~60ms to Jolt ~50ms to INEX connected. ~165ms to ev1servers.net (US).
    I remember chief( i think it was him) saying he wanted to downgrade to 512k so he could get a decent ping, so it is it still the same now

He was most likely downgrading from ADSL to RADSL if that is the case.
    Also i was going to get a router and split it up so could have two ports for it, one upstairs one downstairs. I don't know much about this so could anyone tell me would this result in a quality drop in the connection speeds for both PCs?

If you're talking about "splitting" after the router.. as in having Cat5 going up and downstairs then there shouldn't be any problem, or loss of quality/throughput (assuming its done well and runs are <80m ish).

If you're talking about "splittiing" before the router, then that too should be ok, as long as you have reasonable quality wire to do the runs, and also a decent quality line to the house in the first place.
    Can that be fixed by just unplugging one of them when you want to get the most out of the other?
    I'll assume you're talking of Ethernet/Cat5 from the router, and not having two routers on the one phone line.. the former will work fine (and you won't need to unplug the other PC if its not using the Internet).. if its the latter, then you'll to unplug as 2 routers (well modems actually) on 1 line won't play ball.

.cg

Advertisement