Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EXCLUSIVE: THE THRILLS Join The Chilis and Pixies in the Park

• 26-03-2004 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭

News last updated: 26-03-2004

The Thrills have just been added to the outstanding line-up at the Phoenix Park on Saturday June 12th with headliners Red Hot Chili Peppers and special guests Pixies.

The Thrills who scooped a Meteor Award for Best Irish Album for their number 1 debut “So Much For The City” last month join Red Hot Chili Peppers and Pixies in the Phoenix Park in June. The Irish five-piece are back in studio recording their highly anticipated second album having performed over 130 shows over the last year. Their performance at the Phoenix Park could be the first chance for lucky Irish fans to hear their new songs live! The Thrills have released a host of hit singles including “ Santa Cruz (You’re Not That Far)”, “One Horse Town” and “Don’t Steal Our Sun” .Get ready for The Thrills live at the Phoenix Park - a perfect slice of sunshine!

From www.mcd.ie
    :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

they are desperate to sell those tickets, wonder how many of the 120000 have been sold, i reckon only half

dam mcd, they should get the pixies to play oxeygen thing or vicar st or ambassador

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Yipee, the thrills. :rolleyes:

Sorry, but i just think alot of their stuff sounds the same. Its probably just the singers voice i dont like.

But yeah, tickets arnt doing that well. oh well, I just means less people trying for the pit. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

gah was hoping for the frames, i really hate the thrills but lotta people like em so might make the atmosphere a bit better and also something to argue bout on the day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

God if this gig didn't suck enough already it surely does now.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

a friend of mine works in arecord store and says according to ticketmaster 80-90,000 tickets have been sold.Its adecent line up and now the frames should be added as well

• Advertisement

You have to wonder who it was that actually bought the Thrills' albums, cos nobody I know likes them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

more bands=shorter sets

i hear the pixies are playing brixton academy and some other festival with the strokes. maybe there is a chance of gig with just them afterall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

ffs have people not had enough of the frames at this stage, gives us a break, they're good but talk about overkill
    The Thrills will go down well on a nice summers day, worked well for glastonbury last year anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭TrickyRicky

well its ok news i guess.............I bought an xmas prez of a chillis ticket just for them coz they rawked @ slane last summer, but when the pixies were added it promises 2 be a dam good show....the thrills..saw em @ witness, bland @ best but they have that catchy big sur

Originally posted by comet
    ffs have people not had enough of the frames at this stage, gives us a break, they're good but talk about overkill
    The Thrills will go down well on a nice summers day, worked well for glastonbury last year anyway

Lets just hope it doesnt rain then. :)

• Advertisement

frames frames FRAMES!

Bloody hell the frames suck sum serious ass get a fúcken life 7 listen 2 some decent tunes

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Originally posted by TrickyRicky
    Bloody hell the frames suck sum serious ass get a fúcken life 7 listen 2 some decent tunes

Agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

crap frames
    yeah they are seriously useless, ive heard a lot of their stuff, and never liked them.
    the thrills are ok, they have some good pop/rock tunes
    im looking forward to singing along to santa cruz,

I cant believe you people don't like the frames.Easily one of the most energitic and exciting live bands around and they combine great tunes with great lyrics and they havea really impressive front man.Altogether a band to proud of

they've just never done anything thats worth getting a little excited about.
    they are pretty mundane to me.,..
    the pixies though, there is a band

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

I like them but wheres the magic of seeing a band if they turn up playing every barn in the land and supporting any big act. If U2 played here as much as they do we'd be sick of them thats all, why don't they go away and hide for a year or something. They are touring the states at the moment with Damien Rice i think, now he is one over-rated act.

Originally posted by raven136
    I cant believe you people don't like the frames.Easily one of the most energitic and exciting live bands around ....

I don't understand where you're getting the word energetic from in relation to the frames...

dergin x.....seriously dude have you seen them play live?They are seriously energitic and exciting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

when you ring Meteor's customer care line and you are put on hold , the music played is....THE THRILLS. - they are sheit bland elevator music.

• Advertisement

02 used to use leftfield as their hold music..therefore, your argument doesnt draw much water with me.

i doubt its their fault that meteor play one of their songs as hold music.

plus, beethoven, bach, wagner and mozart are all used as hold music.

do you doubt their musical credentials ?

no but it just proves the point that the thrills' music has absolutly no edge to it - they are ment to be a pop rock band - not classical, eg: motzart etc.

they have no fun beats, no diversity in their songs, no originality, no personality, no soul, they have nothing to say, they are wet and bland, they have nothing to recommend them....their bass player is good....thats about it.

the thrills are just like any of the pop groups anywhere, just they happen to actually play their own instruments.

as for leftfield being used as hold music, frankly i'm shocked.

The beach boys wrotr basic classic pop tunes yet they were regarded by most as brilliant.Just because the thrills dont wrote "rock"music per se does not necessarily mean they should be regarded as bland and boring.
    They write nice fun pop tunes and thats fine by me

i dunno about you lot, but if i ever had a band, i would never ever aim to have
    fun beats
    that just sounds like happy house or anything,
    good point about pop songs being all they are..
    what do you expect anyway ?

dergin x.....seriously dude have you seen them play live?They are seriously energitic and exciting

yes I've been subjected to them twice....I've seen Dillenger escape plan live.........
    See them, and try and call the Frames "energetic" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭lad12

125747m.jpg

This aint a bad album by the frames

Originally posted by dregin-x
    yes I've been subjected to them twice....I've seen Dillenger escape plan live.........
    See them, and try and call the Frames "energetic" ;)

just f*ck off hehe

okay you dont like them but they're tickets sell out within hours so there must be something good about them.
    pavement tune, revelate, fitzcarraldo, live forever all energetic, lots more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭smelly girl

Whinge, whinge, bitch bitch.
    Well i'm not going because i think "(insert band name)" are crap because whinge whinge bitch bitch.
    I'm going to sit on me bitchin arse all day instead listening to "(insert band name)" because i in my superior knowledge of music refuse to listen to any other drivlle that, SHOCK,HORROR!!, other people would dare listen to.
    Everyone knows thet if more than ten people start to like a band, well obviously
    they are crap. And if anyone who happens to be younger than me, or even worse, a (shudder) teeenager, even tries to disagree with me, well obviously theyre too inexperienced with the world to even know what year the pixies formed in.
    tut, darn kids, tut, liking music. hummp.

"they've just never done anything thats worth getting a little excited about.
    the pixies though, there is a band"

exactly!

as for smelly girl just coz i don't know the year the Pixies formed does't make me appreciate their music less, ok so im not a die hard fan but how can i be if they were before my time...........

i bet the beatles/hendrix/stones/etc were long before your time, does that mean you cant apprecite their music.....nothin wrong with bein a teenager..........although soon not to be one anymore.

get a life and stop moanin about others moanin

its called hypocrisy, you smelly hypocrite

• Advertisement

The beach boys wrotr basic classic pop tunes yet they were regarded by most as brilliant.Just because the thrills dont wrote "rock"music per se does not necessarily mean they should be regarded as bland and boring.
    They write nice fun pop tunes and thats fine by me
    how dare you compare beach boys and the thrills. the beachh boys were original and fun, he trills are a lame excuse for a surf pop band abd the most second rate attempt to copy the beach boys' style i've ever seen.
    Originally posted by adonis
    i dunno about you lot, but if i ever had a band, i would never ever aim to have
    fun beats
    that just sounds like happy house or anything,
    good point about pop songs being all they are..
    what do you expect anyway ?

i have been in a few bands, i meant 'fun beats' as in 'rhythms which do not make you want to go to sleep', the whole make-up of their songs is just so terribly puritan with each one of their songs sounding extremely similar.

dont get me wrong, i have listened to the thrills and thought....'oh, thats nice' but then 2 mins later i've totally forgotten it

i concur

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Sarcasm, I presume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭smelly girl

Originally posted by TrickyRicky
    "they've just never done anything thats worth getting a little excited about.
    the pixies though, there is a band"

exactly!

as for smelly girl just coz i don't know the year the Pixies formed does't make me appreciate their music less, ok so im not a die hard fan but how can i be if they were before my time...........

i bet the beatles/hendrix/stones/etc were long before your time, does that mean you cant apprecite their music.....nothin wrong with bein a teenager..........although soon not to be one anymore.

get a life and stop moanin about others moanin

its called hypocrisy, you smelly hypocrite

well stop moanin about me moanin about other people moanin, em, you big smelly smeller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Groove Armada have been added to the line up. It's shaping up to be a pleasant day in the park.

Advertisement