Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rangers Vs Celtic on sunday

• 26-03-2004 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭

Hope Rangers turn up on sunday...need some hope for next season...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭gudpony

Ah der both useless..

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭lad12

Dont think so....Cecltic jus on a lucky run...It end this wkend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Originally posted by lad12

:rolleyes:

we shall see eh :)

YEAH COME ON THE GERS!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Im glad celtic and rangers are both giving their young players a run..

I know if I was an rangers fan, I would rather a home grown players gets a run rather than pay OAP's - the likes of berg and ostentad..

Thats how Alex Mc will give us trouble next year, playing the likes of maurice ross and lads from the under 21 team - not by buying 35 year olds..

that wont do scotland's team any harm either..

• Advertisement

Yeah but any of there star youth players will either be sold or leave....and thats goes for both celtic and rangers no matter how well they do in europe...there league is just so poor..

Barry Ferguson--->Rangers star player---> sold to Blackburn

Liam Miller---->played well for celtic in C.L.---joins Man utd on a free--->celtic get very little for a good player--->and they gave him his break...

id say de best thing 2 happen 2 miller is leaving celtic. Scot league is muck .. its like the eicom league= puts ye to sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Doctor Funfrock

5-1 celtic :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭JippoKelly

It's only by continuing to nurture young talent, that the Scottish league has any chance of improving. Granted you'll probably lose some of this talent to other leagues at some stage, but at it's not like a lot of the poor OAP mercenaries signed from abroad by Scottish teams are going to be around for long anyway, is it?

Players such as Pearson, Kennedy, Marshall, Ross, Hughes, Burke, Moloney, Kerr etc. are the future of the Scottish league. Not the likes of Ricksen, Varga, Berg and Ostenstad (Although Varga had a great game last night - all the players did).

That's why it's encouraging to see the Old Firm trying to bleed young talent into the side. It makes financial sense to use young scottish players as well. No, or relatively low, transfer fees and reasonable wage levels.

While the result doesn't matter (except for pride), I hope this match is going to be another thunderous, fast, and competitive Old Firm match like the ones we all know and love. Is it going to be on Net 2?

Yeah its gud for miller to leave that league but he should have told celtic that he wasnt going to sign a new deal and then they could have got some sort of money for him...Instead he was tapped up by Man utd...Like they do with all their transfer dealing...break every rule in the book...

• Advertisement

Kerr etc. are the future of the Scottish league. Not the likes of Ricksen, Varga, Berg and Ostenstad (Although Varga had a great game last night - all the players did).

so what hes a good player and other clubs do it 2.. if he wanted 2 stay wit celtic he wud of signed a new contract. but he didn't ... and no matter what ye say de league is still muck. de only 2 good teams are celtic and rangers and id say dey wud struggle in de premiership..miller made de rite move for de good of his career.

Yeah GOOD MOVE FOR HIM MONEY WISE...HE WONT GET A GAME AT UTD...AND IF HE HAD JOINED THEM SINCE HE WAS PLAYING YOUTH FOOTBALL...DO YOU THINK HE WOULD HAVE BROKE INTO THE UTD TEAM....DON'T THINK SO CUASE HE WOULDNT HAVE BEEN GIVEN A CHANCE CAUSE YEE BOUGHT 3 MIDFIELDERS ONLY LAST SUMMER(WHICH ARE ALL MUCK)..YIS WOULD HAVE LOANED HIM OUT TO HULL OR SUMWERE...

ALL YIS ARE ABOUT IS TAPPING PLAYERS UP...

ANYWAYS YEE DONT NEED ANOTHER MIDFIELDER...LOOK AT THE DEFENCE(MUCK)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Doctor Funfrock

lad12 you have an attitude problem! it was a great move for miller, joining the biggest team in the world! :ninja: i feel sorry for celtic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

You can say what you like about the Scottish league, but for 4 out of the last 5 years, there has been at least 1 Scottish representitive in the Champions League (and they have never been embarrased there), last season they had a UEFA Cup finalist, along the way they gave Liverpool a lesson in how to play European football, and only yesterday we watched one of the Old Firm beat the in-form team in La Liga (for those of you, Barcelona have won the last 10 league matches in a row, including matches against Deportivo and Valencia).

I think the Old Firm are being seriously under-rated here. What does it take to impress you? IIRC they beat Man Utd in Giggs testimonial 2 years ago aswell? Underestimate them if you will, but they keep performing well when put to the test.

YEAH BUT CELTIC DIDNT GIVE THEM A LESSON...THEY JUST GOT LUCKY ON THE NITE....BARCE SHOULD HAVE BEEN ABLE TO PUT AWAY ONE OF THEM MANY CHANCES THEY HAD OVER THE TWO LEGS...THE BETTER TEAM IS OUT..BUT THE TEAM WITH THE MORE LUCK OVER THE 2 LEGS WENT THRU...

COME ON THE GERS ON SUNDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya well said. Sure look at roy keane. He didnt just walk into the team when he came . And now he is one of the best midfielders in the world. All players at united have to fight for their place.
    What have leeds signed in the last year lad12 ?muck. And dont get me started on Ian Harte.

Well said mr_angry.

And, gudpony, I don't think anyone is denying the league is poor. But what people were trying to say is that Miller would have been assured first team football at Celtic, and regular first-team Champions League action. He might get that at United but probably not straight away.

In saying that, if I was in Miller's shoes I would have gone to Utd (no matter how much I hate them). It's a good opportunity and the way he was treated by the Celtic board with regards to his contract was shambolic. Tight-fisted ****s were too scabby to offer him a deal he was worthy of, and now they lose him on a Bosman. If they'd have tied him to a 3 or 4 year contract, they could have sold him for a nice hefty fee a couple of seasons down the line if necessary.

What bout that hammering we gave yee der last summer. Didn't put up much of a fight den did Yee?muck

Hey gudponey thats below the belt....You know ian harte is a good player...sure he has a load of irish caps...best free kick taker in the premiership a few seasons back...

Miller is a hungry ****

• Advertisement

Fair enough, Barcelona are a more stylish team with a lot of attacking flair, but they weren't exactly blazing the ball wide from 2 yards on a regular basis, were they? Thats because good football is about more than just flair and doing 22 stepovers in a row. Good football can be played in a defensive style too, and last night Celtic demonstrated tremendous marking, tackling, and goalkeeping. Sometimes it was a case of doing just enough, but enough nonetheless.

In my opinion, the best team did win, because they were able to defend as well as attack. I think if you put the Barcelona defense under the same pressure as the Celtic defense last night, they'd leak goals by the dozen. Being an attacking force does not make you better.

Ya i agree wit what your sayin but it was still a good move for him. It will improve him as a player .

Yeah but when have celtic ever attcked like barce last nite, in european football...NEVER...always counter attck...Barce played with the same style and flair in both legs..lady luck wasnt with them...on another nite they would have won 5 1 over the 2 legs...they are a different class...

Ye in fairness barca were muck. They didnt show de will to win. fair play to celtic for puttin miller on. Only for martin o neill id say dey would of got a hammering. great tactics..

Ian harte is muck. he should of quit while he was ahead. Why oh why did mick bring him to the world cup. He must of being F*ckin him or somethin. And i heard kerr called him up for de next match. must be F*ckin him now.

WHAT ARE YOU SAYING GUDPONEY...SURE YOU DIDNT EVEN SEE THE MATCH...YOU WERE AT THE CINEMA..WATCHING PASSION OF THE ***
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Mick had to bring Harte to the World Cup. He'd very few options at left back. That was partly Mick's fault for failing to bring in alternatives to try out in the warm-up matches.

And Harte had been a fairly good player for Leeds prior to a few seasons ago. He was never that great at defending (he turns slower than the Titanic did) but he was a good passer of the ball and lethal from set pieces. However, he has been poor since the WC. Whether it's down to injuries, lack of confidence or maybe even the instability at Leeds we don't know.

He doesn't merit a place in the Ireland side now but due to O'Shea's absence and Finnan's injury (he is injured isn't he??) there aren't many alternatives at left back for this game either. As a matter of interest, is there any other options for this game? Ryan? Clarke? Anyone else? I can't think of anyone

Nice one eirebhoy. :D

Although Leeds did make it to the CL semi-final a few seasons ago. And Celtic haven't gotten that far recently have they? :dunno:

• Advertisement

lady luck wasnt with them...on another nite they would have won 5 1 over the 2 legs...they are a different class...

I disagree entirely. You're claiming that Barcelona are one of the great attacking teams in the world, right? Yet they didn't manage to score against Celtic in 3 hours of football. I firmly believe that wasn't down to luck - that was down to Celtic defending very very well.

Frankly, Celtic have a better marriage of defense and attack than Barcelona. Thats why they won, and that's why its Celtic who are a class above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 carl carlson

Originally posted by mr_angry
    I disagree entirely. You're claiming that Barcelona are one of the great attacking teams in the world, right? Yet they didn't manage to score against Celtic in 3 hours of football. I firmly believe that wasn't down to luck - that was down to Celtic defending very very well.

Frankly, Celtic have a better marriage of defense and attack than Barcelona. Thats why they won, and that's why its Celtic who are a class above.
    No I agree it wasn't luck, it was fantastic goalkeeping. If it wasn't for him it could and should of been 3 or 4 nil. Barce outclassed celtic in almost every area and it was unfortunate from a neutrals point of view that the better side didn't come out on top

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by carl carlson
    No I agree it wasn't luck, it was fantastic goalkeeping. If it wasn't for him it could and should of been 3 or 4 nil. Barce outclassed celtic in almost every area and it was unfortunate from a neutrals point of view that the better side didn't come out on top
    I would hardy call you a neutral carl. You are complete Anti-Celtic. There has been neutrals on every forum I have been on praising Celtic for their display. As I said in another thread, every Barcelona player would agree that Celtic deserved to win.

"Barce outclassed celtic in almost every area"
    What area's would that be? Of course Barca outclassed them in attack but any team going to the Nou Camp with a 1-0 lead would play just the same way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Hey gudponey thats below the belt....You know ian harte is a good player...sure he has a load of irish caps...best free kick taker in the premiership a few seasons back...

Miller is a hungry ****

oh yeah ya think £800 a week is a worthy salary for a player of miller`s potential. if i were him id jump at the chance to play for man u who are one of the worlds best clubs. the premiership is a much better learning ground for him than the spl. face it he doesnt have much of a chance becoming a world class player playing against the likes of Dunfermline and Aberdeen each week.

I dont support either old firm club but it should turn out to be a good match. any derby is good to watch and derbies dont come much bigger than the old firm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

ahh what did i tell you eh :)

actions speak louder than words my man

good game by celtic, looked a bit weary after the midweek game but still grinded out a good result regardless

g'wan the tic

2 more wins left till the title :ninja:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

It was great.
    Another 2 Fab saves by Marshall!
    Suttin looked a lot more lively than he did on Thursday!

Where's Lad12?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by Gillie
    It was great.
    Another 2 Fab saves by Marshall!
    Suttin looked a lot more lively than he did on Thursday!

Where's Lad12?:D

I believe you'll find him in the prison forum, What'll he do with his lunchbreak now?

Marshall was Brilliant again looks like the spl is only a one team league now but with the expected exodus at Parkhead this summer it will probally level out again next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

It was as usual all to easy.

rangers are absolute crap and never looked like getting anything from the game. Celtic are physically too strong, have a much more superior defence and a lot more firepower up front.

Even with the draining 90 minutes in Barcelona, Celtic looked by far the stronger side. Marshall was excellent again but Pearson is impressing me more and more each week. Fantastic player with a great engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 SanFranMan

If only there were Rangers fans in this room.... hows this for in-your-face........

http://www.football-rumours.com/index.html :
    Celtic midfielder Neil Lennon insists the 19-point advantage over Rangers is a "true reflection" of the gulf in class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Originally posted by SanFranMan
    If only there were Rangers fans in this room.... hows this for in-your-face........

http://www.football-rumours.com/index.html :
    Celtic midfielder Neil Lennon insists the 19-point advantage over Rangers is a "true reflection" of the gulf in class.

OH WOW HOW DARING AND IN-YOUR-FACE :rolleyes: Rangers are shite, the Scottish League is a load of shite full stop.

Also, football-rumours.com is the worst site ever about football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 SanFranMan

Agreed on both counts, but when was the last time you heard anyone talk down their main rivals like that? Its pompous and Wenger-esque at its worst, and not the sort of thing a Rangers fan would take too lightly. I thought Neil L had had enough of death threats, thats all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Like he cares what rangers fans think about him.

Advertisement