Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clie PH55 vs Palm Tungsten T3

Options
  • 26-03-2004 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

Like both, cant choose between them. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Is it not the clie TH55 you mean ?

Personally I would go for the T3 as there is a better software bundle with it. I bought a Clie NX series unit and the goodies included were practically non-existant.

One advantage of the Sony unit is the built in wi-fi and bluetooth and may probably sway your decision in that direction.

Tinky

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭FinoBlad

yea its the TH55, i do like the wifi+bluetooth function.

Peats have them both, I think its goanna be the Sony, unless I hear of a big problem with it

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭capistrano

I just bought the TH55 and I love it. It's lightweight, has a great screen and is great for MP3 playing. However, the built-in WiFi and Bluetooth really swung it for me - and the built in camera is nice too!

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭FinoBlad

niceone, where did u buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by capistrano
    I just bought the TH55 and I love it.

i only had a quick play with one so didn't get to look closely at how to deal with the screen flip/cover - is there a way to fold it back on itself or does it only stay at that flip open angle (unless you remove it?)

thanks,
    BrianG

• Advertisement

Originally posted by DubWireless
    i only had a quick play with one so didn't get to look closely at how to deal with the screen flip/cover - is there a way to fold it back on itself or does it only stay at that flip open angle (unless you remove it?)

thanks,
    BrianG

The stays up, it can't fold back on itself. But I must admit that wasn't an issue for me.

Originally posted by FinoBlad
    niceone, where did u buy?

I bought it online at the SonyStyle site here - €448 delivery free.

It's interesting to compare online prices for the different eurozone countries - cheapest is Germany at €399, and it's $399 in the USA, but their version doesn't have bluetooth for some reason.

The usual complaint about any of the Sony Clie models is that they dont support Landscape mode out of the box. Other than that and the flip lid I suppose they're great value with BT and Wi-Fi.

Tinky

Originally posted by tinky
    The usual complaint about any of the Sony Clie models is that they dont support Landscape mode out of the box.

Does that imply that they can support landscape but just not out of the box? That would be nice.

The Picsel Viewer application (for viewing files of a multitude of types) that has a landscape mode on my TH55.

The Palm T3 has a button on the screen to give instant Landscape mode.

I chose the Clie purely because of the build quality. Unfortunately add-ons cost an arm and a leg - 160 euro for a CF wi-fi card !! Something you won't need to bother with.

The Picsel viewer is nice as are many of the media apps on the Clie but depending on what you use the device for you may find apps like DocsToGo more useful and even more so in Landscape mode.

Nicely built PDA in truth but in every single review of every single Sony PDA there is always the same criticism - lack of Landscape Mode.

Tinky

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭rom1

Review: Sony CLIE TH55 vs. palmOne Tungsten T3:
    http://www.palmzone.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=191

Seems difficult to choose between - they are very evenly matched !

One point though. That review is of the American versions of the Clie which does not incluse Bluetooth, only the European models have this feature. Just something to watch out for if you're thinking of ordering one from the US and BT is important to you.

Tinky

The stays up, it can't fold back on itself. But I must admit that wasn't an issue for me.

thanks for that, is there a way of easily removing the flip?

the one i tried had a 'minder' who looked like they wouldn't be impressed if i started trying to take it apart :D

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭eoinm1

hi Lads

Yes it does come off.

If you go to cliesource you will see on the first page of news you will see this.
    It is a set of plugs for plugging the gap left when you remove the flip cover.

Eoin.

nice one eoin, i did try and tug at it a bit but was frowned at ;)

i found it a bit awkward having the TH55's flip sticking up at an angle when open, would have been nice to have it fold away somehow (although due to the camera on the back that could be a reason it doesn't) - i do like the T3's leather flip approach that folds all the way back - thought the TH55 was a nice PDA though

BrianG

thanks for that, is there a way of easily removing the flip?

There are two little screws that to undo to remove the flap forever. Although the screws have funny little tripod heads so you'll need the right screwdriver.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭eoinm1

nice one eoin, i did try and tug at it a bit but was frowned at ;)

No problem.
    cliesource club-siemens and boards are just some of my everyday visits.

Eoin.

There are two little screws that to undo to remove the flap forever. Although the screws have funny little tripod heads so you'll need the right screwdriver.

ah - i'm glad i didn't go tugging at it too much then - otherwise i would have deserved all that frowning i was getting from it's 'minder' :)

BrianG

Advertisement