Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend headphones please

Options
  • 26-03-2004 2:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Going to buy a new MP3 player shortly but I can't stand those earphone things that usually come with them, so I'm looking for a pair of headphones to go with them. Anyone care to recommend a set? Not crazy expensive like, but a nice set that'll last me a few years.

Thanks,
    adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Sony MDRG73SP. You should be able to get them in Dixons or the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Fontopias are decent enough.. but a pair of MX400/500s sound a lot better as far as earphones go... and cheaper... I've had 3 pairs of the MX400s (all succumbed to various accidents), and I'd never ever buy any other earphone.. (peats sell them for around 25 iirc).

For actual headphones.. not in-ear try PX100s or 200s.. both sound excellent.. the 100s are open though so you will annoy ppl on the bus and you will be able to hear them too.. 200s are closed.. I use the 100s in work and am very pleased with them, incredibly comfortable and lightweight, fold away easily and can still take a bit of punishment (get them from veronica.co.uk)

Just to compare I've a headphone setup at home worth about 500e and I'm more than happy with the above choices when I'm out of the house... everyones ears are different.. but you should definitely enjoy them :)

also just to add.. if you are getting large headphones (i.e ones not made for portability).. try to avoid anything with too high an impedance as chances are the mp3 player won't be able to drive them properly or anywya to their potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

im getting the cash together for the new sharp earbuds on audiocubes.com ....people are raving about them but havent tried them myself yet. not too dear though esp. with the euro/$ rate

Sharp HP-MD33S Four Pole Headphones

http://www.audiocubes.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_30&products_id=569&osCsid=0a030b41256cab1672a55a188a0224e4

• Advertisement

Originally posted by eclectichoney
    Sharp HP-MD33S Four Pole Headphones

ooh yeah forgot about them.. in the last month theres been a fair few glowing reviews of them.. was nearly tempted myself, maybe when my current pair of mx400s die.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Hi Adam, if you're getting the iRiver MP3 player, then the earphones that come with it are pretty good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Specifically /not/ looking for earphones guys. Hate them.
    I can't stand those earphone things that usually come with them, so I'm looking for a pair of headphones

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

The ones I posted aren't earphones. They're headphones on a thin bendy wire - kinda like the headphones you get with a Creative Jukebox except the band is a lot thinner.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Yeah, I saw that ChipZilla. Wouldn't fancy them tbh, but thanks all the same.

I like these two, although the Sonys are a bit pricey.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Korg

The pricey sony's arent so bad, they'll blow your head off if you've a sufficiently powerful player, but i found them physically uncomfortable after long periods of time. Can't speak for that particular sennheiser model, tho you can't go too far wrong with any sennheiser really.

V700s? avoid :) ... they get absolutely slated (and with due cause) over at head-fi... 497s are great sounding and are usually well reccomended, they are open cans though if thats an issue... other than those the only other pair that would be available in shops are the Senn 280 Pros (if closed cans are a necessity).

decent can sites:
    http://home.t-online.de/home/meier-audio/headphones.htm
    http://www.headphone.com/layout.php
    http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=2

Advertisement