Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WRT54G/Netopia Cayman 3341

• 26-03-2004 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

This is my first post and I would be grateful for any help. I know people have asked about using the Linksys WRT54G with the Eircom supplied Netopia and the advice given worked for me. I changed the modem to "bridge mode" and things worked (up to a point). The wireless was a bit flaky so I took the advice to upgrade the Linsys firmware to 2.0.27 (the newsest on the site (Euro version)). Anyway, I could no longer get an internet connection to the WRT54G. It was a relief to find I could press the factory reset button on the Netopia so I at least have BB back. If I could reverse the firmware upgrade now I would. Has anyone managed to do this successfully?

I would be very grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks

Gav

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

First things first. Hardware reset the linksys and reset it up from scratch. I had a netgear router (it's going back to get refunded cause it didnt work properly at all) but when I upgraded the firmware first time it kept the settings and said I didnt need to hardware reset it (other firmwares did) but after that one I had same problem with the net.

If you've tried hardware resetting it and it doesnt work. Hardware reset both of them and start from the start. If you have problems post exactly what happening and you'll get some help with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 gavinsm

Thank you very much for the advice. I hadn't even noticed the reset button until I just checked now. I'll give it a try and report on results. Thanks again.

Yes. The hard reset did the trick. It's a bit slow with the Belkin laptop PC card, but maybe that's par for the course? Would a linksys card work better with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

When u say it a bit slow what do you mean? Laggy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Indeed, the exact same thing happened me updating the firmware which took a reset & reconfiguring to get reconnected.

As for the slow connection, have a look at your wi-fi connection properties and see the current connection rate. Distance, walls, microwaves & hedgehogs have been known to affect this.

• Advertisement

Actually I don't know what I did exactly, but it eneded up working very well. The router is in the attic where the phone line is and I can get a good signal now over most of the house (except the kichen, but I probably won't need that). It was a lot of work but worthwhile. I must say though that if one were completely (i.e., even more than me) clueless, ou would never get this to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Originally posted by gavinsm
    I can get a good signal now over most of the house (except the kichen, but I probably won't need that).

That would be those kitchen hedgehogs..

Advertisement