Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

generic host problem

Options
  • 26-03-2004 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭

i have a hp t340 and it wass running ok until one one of those ....and must close messages popped up. it said generic host process for win32 services has encountered a prob and must close. then what happens is that my dial up connection hangs and momentarily the tool bar at the bottom changes from the xp style blue to an older grey and then back again, the only way to reestablish connection is to reboot, the same thing then only happens again and i get about 20 mins at ta time on the net. i'm getting bb in 10-15 days and need to leave it running so help! tried system restore, did nothing, also wont allow me to restore very far back, says it was unable to, but even restoring back to before the prob does nothing. have norton fully updated running, had welchia b for a while but removed it. my kingdom to whoever can help. (my kingdom entails a hearty thank-you)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

You have the Blaster virus.

You need to update your virus scanning software, and go to the symantec website (www.symantec.com ) to get the removal tool.

Alternatively you can go to www.microsoft.com/protect to get info about the patch for this virus and a removal tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

i had fully up to date virus definitions but norton didnt spot it. i installed a security patch i had already again and that seemed to stop it.....but for how long? is there anywhere you can download individual windows components like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

you can pretty much neutralise the rebooting effect by doing the following

Start -> Run, and type in services.msc, press enter.

Look for "Remote Call Procedure (RPC)" and double click on it. In the Recovery tab, set everything to "Restart Service".

Then get yourself a free firewall such as kerio. After 30 days the advanced features turn off, but the firewall is fully functional, and i highly recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

If you go to Windows Update, download patch 824146 as this is the Blaster patch.

If you're using Windows XP, you can activate the built in Windows Fire Wall avoiding a download of another one.

HTH.

Advertisement