Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iain Banks 'Dead Air'

Options
  • 26-03-2004 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Just started reading this book today, finished the first chapter and have to say I'm really liking it so far. Sort of harkens back to Banks era 'Walking on Glass'. Anyone else read this and if so, what did ye think? No spoilers pls

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

I latched onto Banks a long time ago, and usually read everything he puts out (be it fiction or sci-fi).

I liked Dead Air a lot. The style of writing is very gutteral and the pace is quick enough. I particularly loved a chapter later in the book where the entire chapter is taken up with just a single word. You will recognise it when you get to it becuase the word is just about the most perfect expression I could have imagined reading when I got to it, so the payoff was enormous!. The protagonist just leaps from one situation to another, on a downward spiral each time and you can't help but empathise with him along the way.

Tis a great book, enjoy it and if you like his fiction, you should check out his sci-fi writings. They are completely mind blowing at the best of times. Start with Consider Phleabas and work up. You will not be dissappointed.

c0y0te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭xx

I've read pretty much all his books to date too, so you're talking to a fellow fan here. Have to admit though, I really really like Dead Air, the main character is very believable and some of the situations he's been in remind me of things I've gotten up to before.
    Currently writing an English Literature essay on the Wasp Factory for college - jesus, what can you NOT say about that book, its fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Personally I thought it was one of his weaker efforts, it was a grand novel but just not up to snuff compared to what he can do. In fact it's a been quite a while (since Excession) that he's written a book that's grabbed like only Bank's can do.

I think he's getting lazy.

Originally posted by DapperGent
    Personally I thought it was one of his weaker efforts, it was a grand novel but just not up to snuff compared to what he can do. In fact it's a been quite a while (since Excession) that he's written a book that's grabbed like only Bank's can do.

I think he's getting lazy.

Dunno dude, it has a little 'something' for me. It has, by far, the most humour of any of his books. Its kinda quirky really, but its different to his other stuff, thats what I like about him, he always keeps it fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

I've dabbled in some of Banks stuff and really enjoyed the Culture novels but the last one I read, The Business, wasn't impressive. :dunno:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

I have to agree with Terminator there.. the 'business' was by far his weakest yet, but I read it along with everything else he has produced.

Hmm.. got me thinking tho... it has been a long time since his last sci-fi book, and come to think of it "Excession" was up there alongiside "Consider" and "Player" as the best work he has done in that Genre all right!.

Damn - I need a good sci-fi novel to get the juices flowin again:)

c0y0te

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i've been meaning to try bank's fiction stuff after reading through all his sci-fi, i find him a tough read sometimes i have to say and i liked the player of games best, consider phelbas (sp?) i thought was only alright, while excession was good and so was the use of weapons if only for the twist.

good sci-fi try ender's game by orson scott card if you haven't already read it.

data

Just got The Crow Road off Amazon yesterday and watched about half of it last night. Fantastic stuff.

Advertisement