Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad speeds - my experience

• 27-03-2004 1:51am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

I am an IOLBB user located in Limerick and connected to the Roaches St. exchange. I am on the Home Plus product with 24:1...or so they say?

Last Thursday many experienced a failure to be able to login and the Esat BAS was rejecting the username/password.

This continued upto Monday of this week, i email Angela Keegan at Esat and made a formal complaint, i threatened a formal complaint to ComReg unless compensation and explanation was provided.

She emailed me and had someone from technical support call me, now while the issue of username/password is solved a new issue has arisen.

Speed, download speeds have been severly effected, especially downloading from US websites.

I have never experienced a contention issue prior to Thursday's hardware failure nor when i was on 48:1.

But since Monday of this week my speeds are severly compromised, it appears to start around 4pm and continue until the early hours. Now this might sound like contention, but let me tell you this.....

I called Esat technical support and asked them HOW DO I KNOW i am on the 24:1 contention?, and asked them to check if i had been switched over. I wanted proof.

They said that Eircom switched over all the exchanges in Ireland to 24:1 until customers select a 48:1 contention product, to which something then gets changed at the exchange.

Yet it seems to me that either the new hardware is not tweaked properly or enough backhual is not in place, or i haven't in fact been bumped to 24:1.

We as customers have NO proof this has been done, are we to trust Eircom?...
    I would like to hear from anyone who uses the Roaches St. exchange to see if there is a general problem at the exchange, or some other issue.

Obviously from reading Boards i see others are being effected, i again appeal to those effected to call Esat and formally complain until their engineers investigate this problem fully.

It may be that a certain percentage of users are being effected, same as how only certain users were effected when the BAS exploaded last Thursday.

It may also be the case that a specifc server that caused these problems last week is the same one that is effecting customers connected to same server.

Point being only when people report in will they finally do something about it.
    Otherwise i'm off to join Eircom, since their cap is only 8GB and users will download and use the service less.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

There already is a thread relating to the Roches st. exchange , which you replied on already

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=145927&highlight=roches

Maybe if you bump the thread you might get more of a response on that particular topic ,

I can't help you out as I am on UTV , and we all know what they have been like lately .

John.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

We all use the same exchange and use the Eircom hardware, they just pair things off within the exchange for Esat and UTV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

I would like to hear from anyone who uses the Roaches St. exchange to see if there is a general problem at the exchange

Well it would appear that you are not the only person having a problem with this exchange. I'm on UTV and have not been cut off tonight until a few minutes ago but my 48 hours was up at that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Originally posted by Valentia
    Well it would appear that you are not the only person having a problem with this exchange. I'm on UTV and have not been cut off tonight until a few minutes ago but my 48 hours was up at that stage.

You were online 48 hours ,, jeeeeese get a life !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

I'll turn it off in future when I go out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement