Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing an email account between 3 machines

Options
  • 27-03-2004 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to share an email account between 3 machines (XP Pro). I read outlook will not allow you to share the pst files (which would be the easiest option) and even if you could you can only access the PST file from one machine at a time. Id need all machines to be totally synchronized - if one mail is recieved, read or deleted it will be the same when accessing from one of the other machines.

:confused:

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I can do that with my current setup, but it may not suit your environment. I'm running a Debian server that collects mail from various POP3 accounts (using fetchmail) and delivers them to local mailboxes on the server. The client PCs (running a mixture of Debian and XP) read the mail via IMAP instead of POP3.

I don't think this will allow multiple PCs to access the mail simultaneously, tho - I have it set up that way so I can read my mail in the (home) office, or on a laptop in front of the TV.

[edit:] I just checked: the IMAP protocol explicitly allows concurrent client access - I guess it's either my IMAP daemon, or the way I have it set up. Seems like it could be the way to go, if you can figure it out.

Advertisement