Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maplin DIVX DVD Player

Options
  • 27-03-2004 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭

Hi

Did anyone get the DIVX DVD Player ? can you let me know what you think of it, €129.99 in Ireland

The brand is Yamada DVX-6600.

This impressive multiregion DVD player will play practically any disc you put in it! If you download movies or create your own discs, then this is the player for you. It handles all versions of DivX and the new XviD MPEG-4 compressed video files. It also handles MP3 and WMA compressed audio files, as well as JPEG picture files. It can play back these files on non-authored discs, so you can store MPEG video, MP3 audio and JPEG picture files all on the same data CD or DVD and play them straight off the disc with this fantastic unit.

Specifications:

Disc formats: DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, VCD,
    SVCD, XVCD, CD-Audio, CD-R, CD-RW, MP3-CD, MP3-DVD, WMA-CD, WMA-DVD, JPEG-CD, JPEG-DVD

Video formats: MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX 3.11, DivX 4.x,
    DivX 5.x, XviD

Audio formats: Dolby Digital, DTS, MP3, WMA

Video outputs: SCART, S-Video, Composite Video

Audio outputs: Stereo, 5.1 Channel (fully decoded), Coaxial Digital,
    Optical Digital

General Setup: TV Display / Angle Mark / OSD Language / Captions /
    ScreenSaver

Setup-Menu:

Speaker Setup: Downmix (LT/RT/Stereo)

Audio Setup: SPDIF Output / Dual/Mono / Compression

Preferences: TV Type / Video Output / Audio / Subtitle / Disc Menu / Parental / Password / Defaults / SmartNavi

Other features:

Progressive scanning

Multiregion – plays back discs with any region code Multisystem PAL/NTSC playback/conversion MPEGISO, DVD-MPEGISO – plays back un-authored video, audio and picture files; even on the same disc! miniDVD/cDVD playback

Package Content:

• Remote Control
    • Batteries
    • Video Cable (Yellow)
    • Audio Cable (red & white)
    • Manual

If you know of another brand with similar features for about the same price please let me know

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Been thinking about getting a divx player and this is a great price for a store, ones on e-bay have a few dodgy feedback comments. IIRC Amazon sell this make of player and I think the reviews were excellent.

Have you seen these in Irish Maplins shops for €129?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Hi Milltown

Yes I got the catalogue yesterday in Blanch. marked at €129 till 17th April

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭esquier

I got a 6100 (forerunner to 6600) a few weeks ago and it`s fine, tho` there were some problems before Xmas, firware updates seem to have fixed everything, the 6600 has adifferent chip set enabling it to play Divx with Qpel and Gmc, other than that it`s much the same. It seems to be able to play any kind of disc and it`s got loads of outputs, volume seems to be a little low thru` the scart but not a major gripe. Plenty info on this forum to help you out:-

http://www.digitalathome.com/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.php?fid=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

the new XviD MPEG-4 compressed video files
    I don't know if i'd trust that. XviD is the most advanced mpeg4 codec out there, and has the best features implemented, but DivX is the more used codec, and most players base their support around that, and it has less features. Therefore XviD may not always play 100% perfectly. It depends onthe settings used.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭chopster

Coincidence or not was just about to get one of these , now i know maplin have them will pick one up in the Jervis St. branch hopefully. Thanks for the heads up.

...now to get a cheap DVD recorder.....

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Picked up the last one from Maplins in Blanch this PM (display model) so ring before you go out to get one. Did a quick burn of Gothika onto a CDRW and on the post bottle of wine Milltown scale 'twas practically indistinguishable from a DVD. Could be that it was a particularly good rip but I was still well impressed. Looking forward to putting 6 movies onto a DVD-RW and not having to change disc all day.

FYI the Maplins guy also pointed out the special on a DVD home cinema system for €140 which looked good.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭gqma0

FYI.

I bought the Yamada 5220 (multiregion) for €50 for my brother in law for Xmas and he's happy with it.

It was cheap and it plays JPEG photos, MPEG videos burnt on CD and MP3 and it's regionfree. Excellent reviews on it as well. Funny they sound like Yamaha

I have a Pioneer DV530 DVD player and I was tempted by this player BUT I'm waiting on a DVD+HDD recorder that plays every format INCL. DVD-AUDIO, SACD, Xvid, Divx, MP3, WMA, OGG, etc... Just a matter of time.

Gaetan

Advertisement