Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yu Ming is \ainm dom?

Options
  • 27-03-2004 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

Seo scannán gearra mar gheall ar Shíneach a foghlaimíonn Gaeilge sa tSín, nach bhfuil focal Béarla aige agus a thagann chuig na tíre seo ag ceapadh go labhraítear Gaeilge ar fuaid na háite.

Níl sé feicithe agam ach déarfainn go bhfuil sé go maith. An bhfuil sé feicithe ag aon duine anseo?

This is a short film about a Chinese person who learns Irish in China, dosen't have a word of English and comes to this country expecting that everybody speaks Irish here.

I haven't seen it but it sounds good. Has anybody here seen it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Gleanndún

níl agam ach ba mhaith liom go cinte bheith feicithe agam!:D an "yu min is ainm dom?" an tainm atá air?

I havent cn it, but i would really like 2!:D is "yu min is ainm dom?" the name of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Really? Where is it on?

That is *REALYL* weird, for a good while when I was younger my Irish was much better than my English!

awsome!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

its a short film, it was shown this year at the cork film festival. supposed to very good..
    really shouldve went:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

"Yu Ming is ainm dom" an teideal. Is dóigh liom gur dhein TG4 urraíocht air mar sin b'fhéidir go mbeadh sé le feiscint ar an mbealach sin uair éigin. Caithfidh mé faire amach dó - déarfainn go bhfuil sé suimiúil!

"Yu Ming is ainm dom" is the title. I think TG4 sponsored it so maybe it will be on that channel some time. I'll have to watch out for it - i'd say it's interesting!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Cool, if you find out will you post?

u think they sell it? (i dont get tg4:()

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Conaic mé é, bhí sé iontach. Smaoineamh maith é freisin do scánann. Má thagann sibh air abair liom, bhfearr liom feacaint ar arís. Bhí se ar TG4 cupla mí ó shín ach caill mé é.

I saw it, it was deadly. Good idea for a movie too! If you find it will you tell us about it! I'd love to see it again. It was on TG4 a while back but I didn't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Conaic mé é ar TG4 cupla mí ó shín, Tá sé go hiontach.

Great Story, makes you think too.

21/25

so no1 knos if they sell it? i wanna c it 2!:(

ba mhaith liom a feicim féin é freisin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

De ghnáth, bionn sé deacair nó do-dhéanta fiú amháin scannáin ghearra a cheannach.:(

Usually it's hard or even impossible to buy short films.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭SweetBirdOfTruth

was shown in the ifi recently along with another irish short (lipservice) and a made-for-tv feature form gabriel byrbe (draiocht)

http://www.foneblog.ie/o2/loopdiloop/_entry/552868c4fb40b40800fb43ffbb1f0240

daniel o'hara's award-winning short (13 minutes), yu ming is ainm dom tells the story of yu ming who, tired of the drudge of his life in china, decides to learn a language and emigrate to that country. the country is ireland. the language he thinks spoken here is irish. in no time at all he masters the constitutional first language, and is riffing off robert de niro as galeige with lines like 'an bhfuil tusa ag leabhair liomsa?'. on his arrival in dublin though, despite the signs in irish as well as english, he's at a loss to find anyone who doesn't think he's still speaking chinese. or double-dutch. eventually he stumbles upon frank kelly in the oak on dame street who sets him to rights and points him in the direction of the connemara gaeltacht.

short, witty and beautifully shot (despite the paucity of the budget for such features) yu ming is ainm dom is as close to perfect as irish shorts have come in the last few years.

its only 13 min long? i thought it would b a feature film. hmmm....maybe i should try lookin online, eh?

Advertisement