Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crystal Xbox

Options
  • 27-03-2004 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭

Do you think it'd be worth paying €209 just for the Crystal Xbox and 2 controllers - or spend about the same getting a second hand regular black one with games? It does look sweet tbh.

I'm pretty clueless about the Xbox... what games are good and worth getting - preferably ones that aren't already on the GC, PS2 or PC?

I don't mean to start another console bashing session by this topic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

get the black one with games. theres no diffrence in between the crystal and black xbox. and as far as games go Halo is a must, along with Project Gothom Racing 1 or 2. Buffy the vampire slayer (the xbox exclusive one) is surprisingly brilliant. and theres loads of other great game, but there the ones that i would buy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There aren't too many exclusives on the xbox that are worth getting. The best of the bunch are:

Panzer Dragoon Orta: Absolutely gorgeous looking on the rails shooter from sega. The game is fantastic to play and very cinematic. its very hard as long as you stay away from the easy mode. Also the original panzer dragoon for the saturn can be unlocked. One of the best games you'll ever play.

Ninja Gaiden: Haven't played it yet but its getting rave reviews from America.

Project Gotham Racing 2: Again haven't played it but haven't heard anyone say it was less than great.

Also For interent play Xbox live is far superior to the PS2's on-line service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Adam 3000

got one of the special edition green xboxs when it came out, but if you can get a normal one with all the games etc, then do it (the only reason i payed the extra €20 is for the extra controller).

And there are a number of great exclusives on the way (as im sure you know of... halo 2, halflife 2 etc) and Halo is a must, as is Star Wars:KOTOR if your a ST fan

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Halo is crap, if you have ever played any pc FPS stay clear of Halo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I've played Halo on the PC and I wasn't too impressed, the movement is too slow for my liking.

Adam: I didn't like Halflife, so I probably won't get Halflife 2

Retr0: I'm not that into racing games, but the other 2 titles sound good. I wouldn't however get Xbox Live - I don't have BB, and I'd prefer not to pay to play online when I can play for free with my PC.

Zhane: Not ever watched an episode of Buffy - would that be necessary to know what the game is about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Originally posted by RobertFoster
    I've played Halo on the PC and I wasn't too impressed, the movement is too slow for my liking.

Adam: I didn't like Halflife, so I probably won't get Halflife 2

Retr0: I'm not that into racing games, but the other 2 titles sound good. I wouldn't however get Xbox Live - I don't have BB, and I'd prefer not to pay to play online when I can play for free with my PC.

Zhane: Not ever watched an episode of Buffy - would that be necessary to know what the game is about?

no the game is a story within itself. and all the voices are done by the actual actors, apart from buffy aka Sarah Michelle Geller but you wouldnt know cos it actually sounds like her. as far as the game goes it really is a great game, the graphics and gameplay are exellent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

halo is alot more fun on the xbox compred to pc imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭thelad

I'd go for the crystal box as if you want to get it modded down the road the drives in the new crystal xboxes will read cdrs...which is a big plus... and they look good as well (-;

Originally posted by krattapopov
    halo is alot more fun on the xbox compred to pc imo

I played it in Smyths on the Xbox one day too, and I thought he was moving slowly then also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Halo rocks.

If you have the monies, then go for the Crystal Xbox.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

Whens the Xbox 1.5 (read: smaller version) or whatever it's called coming out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 omnicube

well if you have a bit of cash to spare get the crystal one definitely! be a bit different :D i have the transparent green one myself, looks cool. as for games:
    Halo is class, don't care what anyone else says, i think it's brilliant. plus if you have a big tv the 4 player deatmatches etc are so much fun
    Splinter cell is another must.
    Ok and don't hate me when i say this but Star Wars: Knights of the old republic is such a cool game. im not into the movies much at all but this is a really good rpg. since xbox doesn't have the likes of FF well settle for this!

Already have Splinter Cell (GC) and KoToR (PC) :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Bruce Campbell

get any xbox, but as soon as you get it, get it modded so it can play ps2 games! i mean, whats the point in a console if it doesn't have Final Fantasy!
    just kidding, get tehe crystal one, it looks pretty good!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by Adam 3000
    got one of the special edition green xboxs when it came out,

Weren't they just the development boxes sent to Games Companies?

I'd get the crystal one as it may be worth more in years to come. Also you'll impress people slightly if you bring it to a lan game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

if its actually crystal, than it's definitly worth it. that would be so cool.

otherwise, i doubt its worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Originally posted by bazH
    Halo is crap, if you have ever played any pc FPS stay clear of Halo.

thought i was the only one that thought this..

bought it for the pc aswell to see if it would feel any different but still thought it was kinda crap and had no appeal to me (considering im a huge fps fan..)

its hard to get excited over 2-4 player dm's also when youve been playing 16 player clan matches for so long.. played the dm's with mates and it just seemed to be running around looking for each other to much on those huge maps.. i was used to fast paced tfc/half life action by that time, no comparison really..

Originally posted by smiaras
    Its like the silver PS2, I haven't seen a silver remote or official silver pad for it

i've seen the silver official pads, they're pretty cool. dunno about the control though!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Originally posted by Adam 3000
    And there are a number of great exclusives on the way (as im sure you know of... halo 2, halflife 2 etc) and Halo is a must, as is Star Wars:KOTOR if your a ST fan

ehh excuse me but when has half-life2 been made exclusive for xbox???

it will come out for it, but as far as i was aware it will come out on pc first

• Advertisement

yeah its already on the pc! not very exclusive...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

Originally posted by smiaras
    Is it just me or is the crystal xbox ruined by the fact that you can't get a crystal dvd remote control for it. Its like the silver PS2, I haven't seen a silver remote or official silver pad for it, sux esp since they brought out aqua pads for the latest colour.

By far the worst thing about the silver playstation is the obivious black around the controller ports and the black buttons. It just bugs the hell out of me, it looks unfinished or rushed or, well crap anyway.
    Also of all the xbox colors white has drawn my attention....the rest im not gone on..some random picture link

yeah there's something about the white one, something good about it, that i can't quite place my finger on! nice though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

http://www.shinforce.com/xbox/information/Consoles.htm

Theres the pics i found on the xboxs, i have to admit the white one is very nice, altho that link is for japanese and us only. Crystal xbox for euro release only?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by amp

No, the translucent green ones were in limited numbers at retail, I remember seeing one of the dev kits a few years back, just can’t remember if it was green.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Know 3 people that own these and they definitely aren't games developers. however I think the developement kits are similar in appearance.

Advertisement