Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL BB - Slow as a snail today???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

And just out of interest; to those of you whose connections started behaving again, did you have to re-establish a connection for it to speed up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Getting speeds slower than a dial-up connection is possible with Broadband.
    This is due to a contention ratio of 24:1 on the service. What this means is
    that you could be sharing the same DSL line with 24 other users in your
    area. If any or all of these users are online at the same time as you your
    connection speeds will drop. How much depends on the number of users online
    at that time. This is stated in the Terms & Conditions of the service.
    So they think it's perfectly acceptable then?
    Time for ComReg to step in IMO.

I would imagine that's their standard bull**** response when people complain about speeds/pings.

A mate of mine was actually speaking to someone in Esat, and apparantly they are aware of a problem but they're not sure what it is. Super.

I hung up after being on hold for 19 minutes, I have better things to be doing.

I do believe I shall be voiding my contract and contacting eircom.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Ringing them is pointless obviously it will only result in more hour long delays. Now that the postal dispute is over why not copy your emails to the ESAT chief executive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Ugh, pinging my clans server in N.Ireland at 200 in game, got a match in an hour, bastids!!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Einstürzende
    I emailed customer care asking about the terrible speeds (this was before mine picked up again):

:rolleyes:

Ok I am a Clicksilver user and God knows we have problems but at least we get some sort of reponse from them through the support boards.

Can I suggest you do the following?

Reply saying that when you took out a premium service that you expected more from support than a standard reply when you submitted a problem. Say that you understand a correct approach to any problems would be a request for the time circumstances etc that you were on. Point out that other ISP users have been informed that there was a general problem at this time (its true UTV have stated this) and ask why were you not told this. Tell them that you will be publishing both the email above and any reply on boards.ie and that we are gathering material on here to submit to all the daily newspapers about the quailty of broadband and its support in Ireland and you will be definitly including this case as an example.

Also point out that you will be copying all correspondence to the Chief Executive of Esat/IOL and to Comreg and again emphasise that it is not the function of a proper support service to merely dish out standard replies.

We all have to do something about this crap no matter what service we are paying for or it wont improve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

im on iol bb and pings have jumped from 30 to 150

so, utv bb and iol bb are both being effected by this after 6 oclock each day till about midnight?

i tried to complain but no one answers the phone after many many ads and transfers, whoever gets speaking to a person, dont let them fob you off, and complain for me too

Been on hold since 7, still no human contact....! Need good pingage back in a few minutes or I'm fooked....!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Kulgan

You won't get good ping back til around midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭[DF]Lenny

got through to some idiot from esat...same as usual response contention ratio etc....lno we upgraded last week should be ok now etc sometimes bb d/l is slower than 56k (no doubt all read from a flowchart or whatever) I for one will be cancelling my contract and going over too eircom.

• Advertisement

Right, 35 minutes on hold to be told literally "Theres a problem, engineers working on it, dunno whats wrong or when it'll be fixed". This was after an initial response of "what do you mean?" when I asked "Whats up with the dreadful pings?". BAH!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭[DF]Lenny

I think we should ALL e-mail billmurphy@esat.ie hes the head honcho of b/band and i always found he got me a techie or at least a reply.But keep it civil and polite guys!!!

that email doesnt work, either does bill.murphy@esat.ie

Just came on to say the same thing! Bah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

i don't know how you people tolerate it!

i'd go mad paying for the service and getting in some cases slower speeds than 56k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Originally posted by [DF]Lenny
    I for one will be cancelling my contract and going over too eircom.
    I'm with you all the way, but how?

if everyone does it, they'll take notice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by l3rian

Try bill.murphy@esat.com
    Also send a copy to
    Christina.Byrne@esat.com , Head of Customer Services division

Angela.Keegan2@esat.com, Director of SME and Residential business for Esat/BT

Teresa.Ewing@esat.com (not sure of her job role)

Peter.Evans@esat.com Esat BT product director

Martin.Wickham@esat.com CIO of Esat BT

and complaints@esat.com

Leave a contact number and I'm sure they'll be in contact quick enough.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Originally posted by l3rian

:) Obviously his account was shut down because he went over the pop quota hehe too many complaints !

Anyone have numbers of senior Esat management?

I would suggest phoning Esats head office, you will get it through 11811 or 11850 and ask to speak to some manager.. If you phone support they just put you onto a senior monkey who can peel bananas by himself....

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

This is a letter I am addressing to all previous emails. Read over it and suggest any additions.. subtractions. Thanks

X

To whom it may concern,

I am writing this email to express my dissatisfaction at the current state of my IOL Broadband Plus service. I am writing to you because I am unhappy with the state of your customer support and technical support.

For the past few days I have been experiencing slow download speeds, high pings exceeding those of dialups. This is completely unacceptable for a broadband service which is supposed to offer superior services to that of ordinary dialup.

What particularly frustrates me is that I am apparently a "Plus" customer that should be experiencing an enhanced service. My service is now poorer than it was with 48:1 contention ratio. In fact your support staff have the audacity to blame it on contention when I phone them. This is insulting to say the least, since Ireland presently is not servicing enough broadband customers to have an issues to with contention, 48:1 or otherwise.

Your company continues to exasperate the situation by taking on average 30 minutes to answer a support query and then to offer little more than, "We have a problem. We don't know what. We don't know when it will be fixed." That simply is not good enough. I have sent multiple emails to your support department and never even received acknowledgement other than automated computer generated blurb. What do you pay your support staff for? If they don't know what the problem is then who is going to fix it?

Please take note of the following websites and realize that I am not the only dissatisfied customer.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=150154&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=150764

There are many other threads throughout this site with similar experiences.

I would have expected a company like UTV to be experiencing problems due to their inexperience in the market however it is not acceptable that an established company such as IOL can provide such a shabby, unreliable service and provide such shocking customer support along with it.

Am I as a customer getting value from your service? Do I have confidence in your abilities? Do I feel you as a company are taking my concerns seriously? Frankly the answer to all those questions is verifiably no.

There is a great deal of bad feeling out there towards you as a company for your complete failure to communicate effectively with your customers. Your competitors i.e. UTV Internet regularly update their bulletin board and exchange dialogue with customers via that. Since broadband has started your bulletin board (boards.iol.ie) has received two messages from your staff despite the numerous times IOL BB has been down or has been suffering issues.

I sincerely hope you address both the quality of your services and reassess your attitude towards customer support,

Yours Sincerely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭markyboy

I sent a mail using an eircom account and got this response

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at eircom.net.
    I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
    This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<customercare@iol.ie >:
    Sorry, I couldn't find any host named iol.ie?. (#5.1.2)

Fantastic!

Originally posted by markyboy
    I sent a mail using an eircom account and got this response

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at eircom.net.
    I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
    This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<customercare@iol.ie >:
    Sorry, I couldn't find any host named iol.ie?. (#5.1.2)

Fantastic!

'Sorry it didn't work out' - sort of sums up broadband in Ireland at the moment.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by Xcellor
    :) Obviously his account was shut down because he went over the pop quota hehe too many complaints !

Actually Bill Murphy answers his email very quickly. I often got replies within 10-15 minutes. Of course I didn't use an incorrect email address so that helped.

Bill is also aware of these forums on boards though hasn't the time to view them. Some of his lackeys do. Hi guys !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭tammy

grrr,
    i've only had the service for over a week and after a protracted wait period i might add, its been up and down like a yo-yo.

Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=160ms TTL=56
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=171ms TTL=56
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=100ms TTL=56
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=100ms TTL=56

Ping statistics for 82.195.131.128:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 100ms, Maximum = 171ms, Average = 132ms

this may slightly improve matters it helped my pings a bit
    http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/downloadoftheday/story/0%2c24330%2c3635414%2c00.html

pings just dropped to 30 from 150 a few minutes ago... why?

Yes, pings have improved greatly.

Maybe they cocked up the new contention ratios?

Very similar thing happened last night - bad all evening and then for some reason it recovered!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

same has happened with UTV, what's the common factor. Can't be Eircom as they and Netsource are not having the same issues.
    Can only guess that UTV are using Esats ATM network for the handoff from Eircom.
    My guess is a problem within the Esat Network.....anybody got any other ideas?

Its truly pathetic in terms of support etc that the same problem could happen two nights in a row and nobody around to fix it!!!:rolleyes: :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

has the service got any better since yesterday??

Cheers

Rob

Advertisement