Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laoise

Options
  • 27-03-2004 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭

Laoise appears on jerseys and county council headers

Is Laoise the irish of laois??
    I would have thought there was no irish of Laois or portlaoise and that both names were chosen to replace english names with names with no english translation.

Or is it that Laoise is laois in the tisheal ginadocht (sp)??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Contae Laoise is Co. Laois in Irish - it is in the tuiseal ginideach - I suppose there's no room for the contae bit on the shirts. It would make more sense to put Laois then.

There has to be an Irish version of all towns in Ireland anyway otherwise what would they have been called in the past? Port Laoise is the Irish version of Portlaoise, afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Gleanndún

yea, laois is the irish, right? cuz i kno that the english is leix (which looks ugly and i still dont kno how 2 pronounce):dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Vader

Portlaoise was a name made up after independance to replace Marybouragh (sp)
    and Laois was made up to replace queens county, which replaced Leix.
    Loighis was the name of a clan that lived in the area fado fado...

well i kno that my family was 1ce 1 of the 7 septs. of (insert wutever the real name is here), so thats y im interested in the place:)

which one
    I'm decendent from the Devoys

• Advertisement

mise ó leathlobhair;)(lawler)

so wut is the "real" name of laois? (i.e. b4 the confusing re and rere and rererenaming began)

At the oment its real name is laois, in the TG Laoise.
    It used to be Queens county after it was planted.
    Before it was planted it was Leix
    and before it was called leix it had no name as counties were an english idea.

It would have been the lands of the O Moores.

but there were more than just the o moores living there. 4 instance, if i were looking 4 my family b4 the english, they would b found where?

o, and 1 more thing, do u kno wut a "sept." is?:confused:

the seven septs were seven familys, the leaders of wish were eligible for the leadership of the Laoighis (ppl not county) under brehen law.

The o Moores were the predominant ppl in Laois at the time of the plantation.

• Advertisement

ic, so it didnt really have a name, huh? that is interesting. hey, so that means we're eligible 2 rule, eh? hehe:D

Im working on it
    www.lna.8k.com

:ninja: :D

awesome! haha:D

i'll enlist in the lna. gotta support the fam n friends, right?:p

Advertisement