Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

very perplexing Far cry problem

Options
  • 27-03-2004 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭

Hi

I recently installed another 512 k of ram into my pc to bring it up to 1 gigabyte and since ive done this far cry has crashed alot with the following message

Critical far cry error error writing to such and such location memory cannot be read and 2 things happen either

1) far cry crashes to dektop

2) or it just freezes

now i know what your gonna say tis the memory, but it is only in this game that it happens, it happened in ut2004 just once hasnt happened since, if im doing anything normally absolutely nothing happens i could have it on all day, its only when im gaming that this happens

So any ideas anyone

Shin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

So what have you tried before you came bleeting on boards?

512k != 512MB

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

is the RAM branded or generic?

see how it functions if you swap the RAM about.

have you 2 x 512mb or another combination?

run Memtest86 to see if you get any errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Cant seem to edit my post to include an attachment, so heres the actual error message

And as for BAZH and bleeting heres what ive done

1) did memtest (passed)

2) Theres a specific way to order the ram on mt mobo which ive done now

3) all are generic ram as follows

2 256k ram modules
    1 512 k ram modules

As i said anything that i do normally is OK, this and i cant reiterate enough only happens when gaming.

Ive also been to annoyances.org where they said to increase the amount of virtual memory to the max avaialble

So you see BAZH rather alot has been done and I havent just come on here straight away

Regards

Shin

Did you mention any of this in your post, so you dont have people recommending solutions that you have already tried......which has happened

Originally posted by bazH
    Did you mention any of this in your post, so you dont have people recommending solutions that you have already tried......which has happened

not helping my problem in the slightest old bean

shin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

So everything was running fine on your system. You installed some ram, and you started having problems in far cry.
    No i dont think its related....... ... .

Anyway, you said you 'passed' memtest, how long did you run it for ? A friend of mine had a problem similar a while ago, memtest ran for 6 hours before giving an error iirc (ram was the problem)

You would think for some clown working in Tech Support, you would know how to properly report a problem with the relevant information.

Anyway tis the ram and or cl_noob 1

Originally posted by _sheep
    Anyway, you said you 'passed' memtest, how long did you run it for ? A friend of mine had a problem similar a while ago, memtest ran for 6 hours before giving an error iirc (ram was the problem)

I ran memtest for little over an hour and it came up with 130+ errors....never buy RAM from eBay :( :mad:

what does iirc mean? I've seen it on these forums quite a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Here's a few suggestions:
    Re-install Far Cry (there might be something to do with you upgrading the pc and Far Cry not liking that without being told...).

Download and install the 1.1 patch (be aware though there can be some horrendous problems with this patch, just look at any FC forums and you'll see).

Fiddle about in the .cfg or .lua files in the FC directory and look for something relating to RAM or page file size and increase them.

Increase the page file size on your computer.

However, by the looks of the error and it's details, I'd say a fresh install of FC should do the trick. I have it up and running and I must say it's an amazing game. I had to do a bit of tweaking to get it running smoothly and proper at full graphics with a decent frame-rate, but twas worth the wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Did you try running memtest and playing Far Cry with the new stick of ram on it's own?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Originally posted by RobertFoster
    I ran memtest for little over an hour and it came up with 130+ errors....never buy RAM from eBay :( :mad:

what does iirc mean? I've seen it on these forums quite a bit.

IIRC = If I Remember Correctly

thanks Big Chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

Ok sticking my neck out here...
    I don't have Far Cry but I do recognise those type of memory errors as I'm a Windows Programmer.

The error number C000..0005 is a memory violation error generater by NT based operating systems. It means the program generated a memory address in it's code and tried to access that memory address, trouble was NT hadn't allocated that piece of memory to the process running. In other words the process (Far Cry) has a memory problem (either a leak or bad addressing).

I personally don't think it's related to the extra ram you added as it RAM was bad it would cause Windows to crash along with the application. Also to test the RAM you could order the RAM sticks in your CPU so that the new stick you bought is in the lowest bay number.

Thanks skittle ill look into that, but ill be briging the ram back anyway just in case thats the problem, this didnt occur in games until i put the RAM in, I was playinng far cry on my old memory and it worked fine

Still though you do have a point in that everything else should crash as well if it is bad ram

Shin

did you try the re-install yet? you mightn't need to bring it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Have you overclocked your FSB? It puts more strain on the motherboard and ram and when i did it i got memory errors some times. Perhaps the new ram isnt as resiliant as the old stuff?

My memory problem in Cod went away when i lowered the FSB slightly.

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    My memory problem in Cod went away when i lowered the FSB slightly.

My memory problem in Cod went away when I changed my motherboard, RAM and gfx card :p

im ****ed if i know whats wrong with this fing thing, brough ram back, they gave me a branded pny electronics 512 module

stuck it in and i have exactly the same problem, its started happening more frequently now with ut2004 as well

so i guess somethings ****ed up in my pc

oh well money down the drain as usual

shin

Ah well alls well that ends well, since 8 am this morning i have endeavoured to get my pc back to its former gaming greatness

And at last i have, unfortunately i have had to completely wipe the PC clean and reinstall everything to do it

But shes up and running now and purring like a kitten once more

Buggered if i know what went wrong but i suppose ye just have to take the knocks and roll with the punches

Shin

Advertisement