Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greatest Singer/Entertainer of all time ?...

Options
  • 27-03-2004 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

As the other thread Greatest band etc, seems too be crossing over into individual Singers. I thought Singers deserved a thread of their own.

So, who do you think is or was the 'Greatest individual Singer/ Musical Entertainer of all time ?...

As an oldie, Silver surfer. Heres my choice;

1; Elvis

2; Frank Sinatra

Both now singing 'somewhere over the rainbow' Thats just in remembrance of the late great Judy Garland ;) Doubt if many on here would remember her as you are all so young. Anyway whats your choice ?...

P. :ninja:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Hmm Freddy Mercury instantly comes into my head as greatest singer and overall entertainer. He had one hell of an amazing voice aswell as huge stage presence.

However what sort of person would I be if I limited my choice(s) to just one? ;)

Chris Cornell - Soundgarden

Roger Daltrey - The Who

Eddie Vedder - Pearl Jam

Bruce Dickinson - Iron Maiden

Thom Yorke - Radiohead

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Mick Jagger - Rolling Stones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭40crush41

of course i have to say: Dave Matthews
    going to go ahead and agree with u paddy, Frank Sinatra is awesome.
    Josh Groban.. hes a darn good singer.. he deserves some credit.
    simon and garfunkle.. thats some great harmony (i got to see them live- great show)
    i like damien rice too, really peaceful stuff.. not too much show, just good music.

forget it, i can go on forever.. i'll quit when im ahead =)

and how sad would it be if anyone forgot about dorothy and her rubby slippers. =)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

The Greatest Individual of all has got to be Frank Sinatra. What a voice that guy had and a real performer as well.

Other people that spring to mind are:

Elvis
    Chuck Berry

Both classic performers.

When it comes to fronting bands Mick Jagger would be the best "performer" although he wasnt a great singer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

imo the greatest singer of all time is luke kelly.The man's singing on "Raglan Road"would bring a tear to the eye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

In order of preference;

Elvis
    Frank Sinatra
    Tom Jones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Walter Ego

Cat Steevens - now Yousef Islaam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

I have to say it's Don McLean (taking the "entertainer" part heavily into account). I have never seen anybody work magic on the audience like him. Mostly through relaxed conversation, proper song introductions and an amazing mix of moods (he has written some of the finest songs ever).

The first time I saw him, it was only himself on acoustic guitar and a guy on electric for accompaniment. Might as well have been an orchestra. Sheer class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Quite simply, Elvis.
    'nuff said tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Leonard Cohen - and he writes his own stuff too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

John lennon
    Frank sinatra
    Jimi hendrix
    Jim Morrisson
    David gilmour