Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

simple meals

• 27-03-2004 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭

moved out of my parents gaff for the first time, and so far have been living off ready meals and crap like that. anyone got any ideas for healthy, easy to prepare meals?
    my digestion isnt to great at the moment, and i have to go to the jacks three or four times a day at work and that really doesnt look good! the only thing ive " cooked" so far is baked potatoes and frys, so any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

pasta
    chicken legs/breast (not that hard to cook)
    fillets of fish
    assortment of veg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

pasta with mince with dolmio bolegnese stir in simple tasty and cheap.
    Pasta: boil for twenty minutes;
    mince: fry at a medium setting for about 10 minutes and add dolmio or other stir in flavourings.

Also tuna and sweetcorn sandwiches are easy, surprisingly nice and healthy. Rice is also very easy to make. Make it wholegrain, healthier. Also I really reccommend actimel, as a student it plugs gaps in my unbalanced diet. Steak is also unbelievably easy to cook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

I also reccommend pre-made garlic bread. It's great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

my favourite 10 minute dinner

pasta, sauce, peas/sweetcorn, tuna/sardines, stir together, add a bit of peppers/lettuce/tomato for dressing if you wish. 10 minutes tops to prepare and pretty healthy.

Chicken fillets, mince, steak, and fish (trout/salmon/mackerel) are all really quick to fy up in a pan as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Get a really good Juicing machine. For turning fruit and veg into great instant meals in a glass. The fastest, healthiest and most natural food in the world.

For some eye-opening free advice click on this website:- www.thejuicemaster.com

Good luck.

P. :ninja:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 slieveb

Originally posted by Paddy20
    Get a really good Juicing machine. For turning fruit and veg into great instant meals in a glass. The fastest, healthiest and most natural food in the world.

For some eye-opening free advice click on this website:- www.thejuicemaster.com

Good luck.

P. :ninja:

On the other hand one could always try eating the "fastest healthiest and most natural food in the world" without beating the living sh*t out of it... fruit, fancy that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Shepards pie is a really tasty/quick easy meal to cook. Fry 1 onion and 1 garlic clove. Add 1lb of lean mince beef. Fry off till the meat is brown. To the mix add about 3 table spoons of ketchup, 2 table spoons of soya sauce. Add 200ml of veg or meat stock and allow to simmer for 20mins.

Meanwhile boil and mash some spuds.

Pour the cooked mine into a suitable casserole dish and spoon over the spuds evenly over the mince.

If you like you can sprinkle grated cheese over the spuds and brown under the grill.

Quick/easy/healthy and very tasty. Also you can freeze the left over.

slieveb,

I said fruit & veg . Look at Elephants and the Silverback Apes and monkeys. All vegetarians and doing extremely well.

Do not knock something until you have tried it, for your healths sake. I am not suggesting anyone becomes a vegetarian, but more fruit and veg helps a lot. Both eaten and "Juiced".

Thats a little advice from someone a lot older than you. Stop being such a cynic/knocker. It just might stop you developing Heart Disease, Irelands number 1 killer.

P. :ninja: ;)

slieveb,

I said fruit & veg . Look at Elephants and the Silverback Apes and monkeys. All vegetarians and doing extremely well.

Do not knock something until you have tried it, for your healths sake. I am not suggesting anyone becomes a vegetarian, but more fruit and veg helps a lot. Both eaten and "Juiced".

Thats a little advice from someone a lot older than you. Stop being such a cynic/knocker. It just might stop you developing Heart Disease, Irelands number 1 killer.

P. :ninja: ;)

Hey Paddy,

I apologize if I was rude or cynical. That said,you don't know what age I am so don't assume. I'm no spring chick myself.:cool:

It seems to me that some Irish people will only eat/drink whats good for them if it's been crushed, mushed, bottled or canned. Your post appeared to me to be recommending that people need to buy a juicing machine to enjoy fruit or veg. You inluded a link to a site flogging juice machines, which made me suspicious. My point is...why not eat it as it is? What's wrong with natural? Personally I enjoy my fruit and veg with a minimum of preparation.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

2 easy things.

Stir fry: Get a wok, some noodles, chop at least 4 different types of veg(say a pepper, an onion, a carrot and some brocolli and some piece of meat (I recommend chicken). Put some oil in the wok, put it on top heat and heat it until it starts spitting. Also boil some water. Put the noodles in the water for 4 mins remove and drain, put the meat and veg in the wok (carrots require 2 mins longer than everything else, and make sure you put the meat 2 mins before the rest too). Cook the stir fry (on high heat, stirring it all the time) until the meat is definitely cooked (poke it with a knife to be sure) and then throw in the noodles, some soy sauce and about 1/4 of a cup of water. Give it another minute and then eat it. It's healthy, tastes good and only takes about 20 mins.

Then, with the left overs you can make italian chicken. Take a pepper, an onion, a chicken breast (although pork or beef will do to) and some garlic. Chop and fry the chicken, garlic and onion until it's definitely cooked. Then throw a tin of tomatoes on top of it, and some pepper and herbs if you've got them, and simmer the whole lot for 10 mins. Then serve with rice.

Nice shep pie recipie up there too, I think I'll be trying that one...

• Advertisement

slieveb,

No offence taken;) . As far as the link is concerned if you had really looked at it. Its about a healthy lifestyle and certainly not just a "Juicer" selling website.

I have always liked raw fruit, but many people can not eat hard fruit for a number of reasons. They may have bad teeth or even none. The thought of eating your greens i.e. veggies, never appealed to me. In fact I hated them. As for eating raw uncooked cabbage or carrots, well no way.

That was until I discovered that raw juiced carrots or cabbage with an apple added to sweeten it up makes all the difference and was a real surprise too me.

Believe me, I wish I had known about the real benefits of consuming fruit and raw vegetables as nature intended them to be digested - uncooked. A long time ago. Thats all I was trying too get over in my post and I always try and provide a link to an informative website in my posts where I consider it worthwhile.

As a lifelong bachelor I know all about burgers, fryups and other so called "Fast foods" which are really addictive junkfoods.

Be lucky.

P. :ninja: :cool:

Fair enough Paddy, I take your point. Happy eating!
    slieveb,

No offence taken;) . As far as the link is concerned if you had really looked at it. Its about a healthy lifestyle and certainly not just a "Juicer" selling website.

I have always liked raw fruit, but many people can not eat hard fruit for a number of reasons. They may have bad teeth or even none. The thought of eating your greens i.e. veggies, never appealed to me. In fact I hated them. As for eating raw uncooked cabbage or carrots, well no way.

That was until I discovered that raw juiced carrots or cabbage with an apple added to sweeten it up makes all the difference and was a real surprise too me.

Believe me, I wish I had known about the real benefits of consuming fruit and raw vegetables as nature intended them to be digested - uncooked. A long time ago. Thats all I was trying too get over in my post and I always try and provide a link to an informative website in my posts where I consider it worthwhile.

As a lifelong bachelor I know all about burgers, fryups and other so called "Fast foods" which are really addictive junkfoods.

Be lucky.

P. :ninja: :cool:

Advertisement