Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first 5th dawn precon shot (methinks)

• 27-03-2004 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭

heres a link to the box of the first of the preconstructed decks to appear in fifth dawn

http://forums.mtgnews.com/attachment.php?postid=2082610

what does everyone think of it??
    that dragon/drake thing on the box looks pretty cool.

Anyone like to speculate what they think any of the new abilities for fifth dawn will be either???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

"special forces", interesting, would seem to suggest an array of creatures with special abilities, course i have absolutely no idea what these abilities will be :( Yes that dragon dude DOES look very cool, cant wit for the pre release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MatthewVII

cool, blue/black, my fave colours.
    im guessing that perhaps Fifth Dawn might merge Tribal abilities with Affinity (in both of the prev expansions there has been a new affinity) so mayb that thing has like "affinity for Dragons" or something. thatd b cool
    i woinder though, why theyre making another blue/black starter when there was one of those in mirrodin

Originally posted by MatthewVII

i woinder though, why theyre making another blue/black starter when there was one of those in mirrodin

cos starters with cool metallic dragon dudes on the front sell well :) affinity for dragons would be cool, but they'd need to introduce around 3-4 new cheap dragons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

Looks cool. And hey, that thing could be a Drake :)

well, mayb not affinity for dragons, cos these days dragon decks just dont cut the mustard. SOmething like "Affinity for Goblins" could b extremely dangerous in a goblin bidding deck (until the next block comes out and Patriarch's Bidding is made illegal in T2) or affinity for Beasts might give a nice boost to green which has been suffering a lull in use lately.

• Advertisement

and on that note, i think its strange how there isnt a purely artifact starter in any of the mirrodin block. they should have one. and methinks they should have more coloured mana artifact lands (darksteel citadel is great, but can get u into a tight spot with colour). somehting like a cross between Coastal Tower and Darksteel Citadel would rule

and of course, they should reprint Phyrexian Dreadnought. hed make a Ravager Affinity deck totally class, what with the sacrificing of Modulars + Disciple of the Vault

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭sephirosis

also here's the cover of the fifth dawn book. its been around the net for a while so some of you may have seen it already.

http://forums.mtgnews.com/attachment.php?postid=2062575

what do ye think of that??
    you rekon that thing will even appear as a card???

and on tribal affinity matthew, how about affinity for affinity creatures??? ;)

teehee, or even better "affinity for arcbound ravager and/or skullclamp"

and methinks they should have more coloured mana artifact lands (darksteel citadel is great, but can get u into a tight spot with colour). somehting like a cross between Coastal Tower and Darksteel Citadel would rule

and of course, they should reprint Phyrexian Dreadnought. hed make a Ravager Affinity deck totally class, what with the sacrificing of Modulars + Disciple of the Vault

this is exactly what WOTC should avoid doing. They can't just say "hey lets make all these cards to make one type of deck utterly uber class" they have to balance things out. With affinity as strong as it is at the moment more coloured artifact lands and adding a card to make the current best deck even better is ludicrous. It'd be like them introducing a cheap elf with "all elves get +6+6, trample and are indestructible"

Originally posted by sephirosis
    also here's the cover of the fifth dawn book. its been around the net for a while so some of you may have seen it already.

http://forums.mtgnews.com/attachment.php?postid=2062575

what do ye think of that??
    you rekon that thing will even appear as a card???

id say it will definitely appear as a card, looks pretty badass

• Advertisement

well, of course, im not saying taht they should just throw excellent cards at a particular deck, mayb they should attach appropriate drawbacks. for example:

*Modified* Coastal Tower
    Artifact Land

Tap: add U or W to your mana pool - you lose the game

right, heres all four precons and an image from one of the boosters.

its a finnish site so i dont have a clue what they say about it. just follow the link below. if you dont go directly to the page with the images on it, and get a page in english instead, click on the "finnish" link near the top of the screen.

http://www.fantasiapelit.com/index.php?main=news

just from the images it looks like blue and green will come out on top. also if they can justifay a 5 colour precon we will probably see some multi-colour mana generation or a couple of cards of the glimmervoid/city of brass category.

any thoughts??

the 5 colour premade deck looks very interesting, more multicolour mana generation (especially if artifacts generate it) could allow for a range of new possibilities with current affinity decks. Not much else we can deduce from the deck pictures cept that that metal dragon/drake thingy looks badass. Cant wait for the full spoiler to come out.

hmmmmmmm, looks interesting. the spectrum deck cover looks vaguely like Sundering Titan. twould b interesting to combine his ability with multiple diff land destruction. the vedalken-brute guy on the U/W looks cool too. it looks like Fifth Dawn precons are driving towards standard type decks already around, that U/W could b control, the R/G looks like a fast aggro. should b interessant

the spectrum deck cover looks vaguely like Sundering Titan. twould b interesting to combine his ability with multiple diff land destruction.

They ain't going to put Sundering Titan in a Fifth Dawn precon... what are you thinking, man :)

They look fairly good. The Mirrodin U/B used Affinity, so this one should be completely different. Or possibly use the long-awaited Affinity for Drakes (well, long-awaited by me, anyway).

well, i didnt literally mean it to b Sundering Titan, just its half brother or something, like Mildly-Irritating Titan or something.

mtgnews.com has two cards up for fifth dawn (apart from helm of kaldra and crucible of worlds).

a black drake which i think puts an end to the mystery of the creature on the front of the special forces deck (but i suppose i might be wrong), and even better, a green instant which seems to reveal one of fifth dawns abilities, "scry". you pay a kind of kicker cost which is printed on the card, and you get to look at that many cards from the top of your library, put as many as you want at the bottom of your library, and the rest back on top in any order. it will surely make a nice interaction with card drawing and make combos easier to get out.

hey, that drake looks cool, if a bit of a weakness in a long game. the scry mechanic doesnt look particularly exciting tbh, but could b handy in certain situations

well the scry mechanic could work very well for sideboarding. For example in the case of that scry card there which is oxidize excep t more expensive, you can run oxidizes main deck and sideboard in the scry card if the games are long and you know you can afford the mana

If that "Sunburst" thing is true, this set could be very very good for the rainbow mage. Now let me dig out my old Harrows...

• Advertisement
Advertisement