Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top 5 league's in the world

• 28-03-2004 12:10am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

1)England
    2)Spain
    3)Italy
    4)Germany
    5)this is a hard one....but I will go for France,with Holland very close

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

1 Spain
    2 England
    3 Italy
    4 Germany
    5 France

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

The scottish race for third place is one of the best. There aer about 200 teams in with a shout of being third best in Scotland!!!!!

the best way to compare is not to match up the top teams as they are much the same but to match up the mid table teams so.....
    Would Tottenham (11th PL) beat Brescia (11th Seriea A) i think they would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Originally posted by Dub13
    The scottish race for third place is one of the best. There aer about 200 teams in with a shout of being third best in Scotland!!!!!

Never knew scotland had a 202-team Premier League.
    And edit your posts instead of double posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

Difficult question. Whats it based on? I mean Italy is a very competitive and strong league for example but what about excitement? Not saying Italy is boring (although some people think it is) but I'd much rather watch Argentinian/Brazilian league than Italy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I was just going to post that either the argentian or the Brazilian league should be in a top 5 leagues yoke . (their leagues are very close in quality and excitment so it would be hard to choose which one . or u could put both in .

The greek league aint bad , its on par with holland and germany at the moment but it dosent have all the international superstars so it aint so popular .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Serie A
    Premiership
    La Liga
    Ligue 1
    Bundesliga

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

la liga... the rest are boring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

premiership is the only league, it has everything.

defense, which la liga doesnt have (ie birmingham, charlton), attack (arsenal, utd, chelsea). and surprise packages (ie villa, charlton) and big flops- liverpool, man city.....

la liga plays the best football in the world but the PL has far more excitement and passion. crowds are better too. they sing rather than scream and blow whistles all the time.

seen as were talking leages here, champions league can be counted.

italy is boring, hardly any shocks, very little excitement.

1. premierleague
    2. champions league
    3. la liga
    4. seria a
    5. bundesliga

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by smemon
    premiership is the only league, it has everything.

defense, which la liga doesnt have (ie birmingham, charlton),

lol ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

yeah, teams that will batter the hell out of you and treat every game as a cup tie. you dont see 2 footed lunges or headbuts in la liga. its a league for wimps that aren't strong enough for the italian or premierleague.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Premier League.
    La Liga
    Serie A
    Bundesliga
    France (whatever the premierleague of France is called)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

attack (arsenal, utd, chelsea)

chelsea attack yea right!?

id go for

la liga,
    seria A
    premiership
    german league
    french league
    dont but into the sky sports mentallity of english league is the best in the world cause it aint(look at the winners of the previous 10 european trophies and tou will see a clearer picture)

3 european wins(liverpool 2001, utd 1999, arsenal cup winners cup 1994.....) in the last ten years or so not great by anymeans!!

however comeback to me in 2 years it might change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

1. Spanish
    2. English
    3. Italian
    4. Scottish
    5. German

ok so lets take top,mid and bottom.
    Arsenal Vs R.Madrid....i go for Madrid 1:0 to Spain

Tottenham Vs Betis ...I go for spurs so thats 1:1

Wolverhampton Vs Murcia I go for wolves so thats 2:1 to us

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

ok so lets take top,mid and bottom.
    Arsenal Vs R.Madrid....i go for Madrid 1:0 to Spain

Tottenham Vs Betis ...I go for spurs so thats 1:1

Wolverhampton Vs Murcia I go for wolves so thats 2:1 to us

you cant do it like that!! if it was that easy then there is no point haing this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

yeah, teams that will batter the hell out of you and treat every game as a cup tie. you dont see 2 footed lunges or headbuts in la liga. its a league for wimps that aren't strong enough for the italian or premierleague.

What i meant was that i found it funny that you think the premier league is a league that features good displays of defense. The premier league features some of the worst defending in europe. It is very exciting though. The italian league is very defense oriented but can be dull as dishwater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

... so thats 2:1 to us

Us?...are u English?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭bdiddy

Dont no if you were being sarcastic but if you werent i agree wit u(if u were i dont). Where would the premiership be today without the Roy Keane/Vinny Jones/Arsenal attitudes? I think its adds life to the games and the players arent pussyfooting around the pitch thinkin of what the FA wud say afterwards. Its a far better attitude than the divin cheatin Itialians or Spanish have.
    Example: Gary Nevielle headbutting Steve McMannaman in the derby, fair play to him, he gives a **** about his club and gets as wound up for derbys as the fans do. I dont c players from other leagues getting too hot and bothered about playing a supposidly weaker opposition just because the fans are rivals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 SanFranMan

The top 3 look pretty unanymous (unanimous???) in composing of Eng, Sp, and Italy. Does anyone have anything informative to say about any other league? (aside from Ireland and Scotland as they wouldnt really come close)
    Not much to talk about in the US. I know the Australian one is still producing a lot of young talent and some excitement.
    The Belgian and Portugese are worth a mention to fill out # 4 and 5, in competition with Germany, Holland, France, Brazil, and Argentina.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The Mexican League is quite good too, their teams get to play in the South American Champions League ( Copa Libertadores) even tough they are a CONCACAF team.

The MLS is not a bad league, but the way they have the draft means that no one team will doninate for any length of time.

People seem to have forgotten the Russian League, they have strong teams in Moscow, and some other cities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

Spanish
    English
    Italian
    German
    French / Dutch

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

1. La Liga
    2. Premiership
    3. Serie A or Bundesliga (can't decide, German teams are very solid)
    5. France

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

1. The National Hurling League.
    2. The National Football League.
    3. the Galway division 2b south league
    4. The Six Nations
    5. The League of extraordinary Gentlemen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

It really should be called the top 5 leagues in Europe as most of us don't know much about the other leagues. In saying that, the top 5 leagues in the world would most likely be all European as that is were all the best players play and want to play.

Most of us watch the premiership more than any other club and I'm sure most Spanish and Italian's would think their respective league's are the best. It is really hard to seperate the top 3, its just a matter of personal preferance. If we are judging by the players in the league I think the Italian would win. We can say that there is players like Forsell that other leagues wouldn't really hear of but that is the same in their leagues.

Also, most top English teams would only have one well known striker but in Italy most top teams would have 2 or 3. Milan (Shevchenko, JD Tomasson, Inzaghi), Roma (Totti, Carew), Juve (Trezeguet, Del Piero), Inter (Vieri, Martins, Recoba). The Italian goalkeepers are probably the best in the world and the same could probably be said about their defenders. Then you have players like Kaka, Nedved, Emerson and Van der Meyde to name a few.

So judging by the quality of players I'd go with this:

1. Italian
    2. Spanish
    3. English
    4. German
    5. French (with 2 teams in the quarter's of the CL they deserve a place)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

LOL @ AthAnRi. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

Originally posted by AthAnRi
    5. The League of extraordinary Gentlemen.
    i forgot about that league:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 four*

sounds like top 5 in europe by everyones replys. nobody knows anything about the south american leagues or any other continents leagues really apart from through the world club cup.

Originally posted by four*
    sounds like top 5 in europe by everyones replys. nobody knows anything about the south american leagues or any other continents leagues really apart from through the world club cup.
    Here is a list of all the player that got at least 1 vote in the 2003 FIFA world player of the year (voted by every international manager in the world). How many play outside Europe?

Zinedine Zidane
    Thierry Henry
    Ronaldo
    Pavel Nedved
    Roberto Carlos
    Ruud van Nistelrooy
    David Beckham
    Raúl
    Paolo Maldini
    Andrej Shevchenko
    Luis Figo
    Michael Ballack
    Oliver Kahn
    Pablo Aimar
    Gianluigi Buffon
    Filippo Inzaghi
    Michael Owen
    Alessandro Nesta
    Fernando Morientes
    Cafu
    Dado Prso
    Fabio Cannavaro
    Henrik Larsson
    Paul Freier
    Rivaldo
    Robert Pires
    Ronaldinho
    Paul Scholes
    Samuel Eto'o
    Ahmed Hassan
    Alessandro del Piero
    Alexandro de Souza
    Brad Friedel
    Claude Makelele
    Esala Masi
    Iker Casillas
    Javier Saviola
    Marcel Desailly
    Nelson de Jesus (Dida)
    Rafael Marquez
    Rafael van der Vaart
    Rino Gattuso Roy Makaay
    Takamatsu Daiki

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 four*

doesnt that tell you something. everyone is watching the first world leagues cos money is controling. but can you tell me how many of those players started in europe? were they crap when they played in their home league? just cos we havent heard of a player doesnt mean he's not good. same with the leagues!!

ok so does anybody no there South American club football....?if so give us your top 5....I have to say I no next to nothing about them.

Originally posted by four*
    doesnt that tell you something. everyone is watching the first world leagues cos money is controling. but can you tell me how many of those players started in europe? were they crap when they played in their home league? just cos we havent heard of a player doesnt mean he's not good. same with the leagues!!
    Of course they didn't start off in Europe, thats my point. As soon as they got the call they were off to Europe. These players were voted for by every single international manager in the world. I'm sure the manager of Brazil or Argentina would know the players in their respective countries but they still voted for the players based in Europe.

The cash is in Europe thats why ther best players end up here but does that make Europe the best I am not sure....nobody seems to no much about football outside Europe.

The cash is in Europe thats why ther best players end up here but does that make Europe the best I am not sure....nobody seems to no much about football outside Europe.
    it doesn't matter if its the money or the bad weather that attracts them, they still come over.

Advertisement