Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cspca

• 28-03-2004 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭

last week i found a german shepard dog walking around grand parade wiht no collar on looking very lost. i thought this is not right and saw that he belonged to no one, so i brought him to the cspca. he was a gorgeous dog but looked hungry, ya could see his ones.

i brought him there because it was risky having a dog like that out on the streets and he could have bitten someone and have to be put down.

i brought him there also because when my dog went missing i would have liked if someone had found her and careed enough to bring her in so i would find her.
    but i was told then by someone that after 7 days if noone comes for then and they or not rehomed they are pot down.

i have found out also that the CSPCA are very much money orientated and that there has been some disagreement about them in the past.
    i am going to go in there on monday and see how he is (they told me they would ring and let me know how he was but they havent).

i was informed that the difference between the animal care societ and the CSPCA in cork is that the animal care society will not put down a dog, the dogs are fosted out until proper homes are found.

i would like to know what peoples views were on this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The CSPCA was dissociated from the ISPCA a while back due to shady practices, none of which I know much about. There are other animal shelters around the city however, which have more humane polices than the CSPCA, and would make a far greater effort to find a home for the animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭trilo

well good news i went into the CSPCA today and the owners of the dog had claimed her back. seemingly a friend had given them the dog 3 days before hand and she was in heat and strayed. am glad she's back home. she was so beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

Having had many years experience with some of these organisations, there are lots of things somtimes going on "behind the scenes" that most people dont realise.

First off, there ARE lots of great, wonderfull people running great wonderfull orgs around the country, and doing the best job they can under very difficult circumstances.

BUT, there are orgs out there, some of which you might not believe it of, whom if u phone and say can they take a crossbreed they say no, phone 2 mins later ask can they take in a pomeranian or some other purebreed and they say "Of course!" :mad:
    (well, actually the usual drill is to make u feel like they r doing u a big favour, but u get the idea).

They often will say (IF they ever accidently admit it) that this is because it is harder to rehome a crossbreed than a purebred, but the truth *somtimes* is they have people they know will pay for a purebred.

it sickens me, but iv seen it firsthand, the worst part about it is that it is *not* rare, and it is known about by everyone who works in animal welfare, but no one is prepared to do anything about it. If they do, they will be alienated and hounded.

it sux, *shrug*

B

Advertisement