Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Want to do up my Volkswagen Golf mark 4 01 D

Options
  • 28-03-2004 3:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

What is the best thing to do with a standard navy blue 01 Golf. I was thinking putting on bigger wheels like 18" ones with alloys instead of the standard 16"(are they 16"?) and can this be done? How much would that set me back?

And then drop the suspension a bit. No dramatic body kits but something mild would be ok.

Any ideas how much this is likely to cost and where I can get it done?

Is dropping the suspension adviseable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

In my opinion the first things that you should get for the car are some decent lowering springs (Eibachs or Konis, I've got Eibachs) - this will not only make the car look meaner but it will improve the handling and ride unbelievably! Golfs are notorious for having quite poor handling due in part to the heavy chassis of the car and the weeny engines that VW like to use as standard. Also you should be able to get the springs fitted fairly cheaply, pay NO more than €100. I nearly got fooled into thinking that this was a pretty big job and that the going rate was €300+ as well as VAT! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭TheC0CK

Cheers for the advice. Any particular Eibachs or are they all standard?

Was that 100Euro including the fitting of the springs? If so, that is pretty damn good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

no you get certain springs for your car. I got my car lowered 35mm on eibach springs. Deffo worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

because the 01 golf is such a chunky,well fit car i would definetly suggest 15 spoke 18",big cunky spokes,lowerin the suspension a bit but not too much and get small side skirts and a rear spoiler
    if it floats your boat to tint the windows then be my guest.i think the golf is a brilliant car once its done up but most people **** it up,post a pic when your done and let us know how you got on

How much would that set me back to get decent 18" alloys and to lower the suspension? Recommend any dealers in South Dublin? I know **** all about doing cars up. But all I wanted to do was just get the alloys and lower it. If side skirts look way better but not too naf and are cheap then I will go ahead with it. But one thing I do not want is a cheap looking car which most people tend to do to their puntos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

I got 4 17" alloys + tyres for €1080

35mm springs + labour cost €300 for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

If your going lowering your car do it right and get a set of dampers as well cause just putting on springs with your OE dampers can lead to problems later down the line. A good option would be a set of Koni dampers with H&R springs (cost ~800). I had that set up on my last Ibiza and it worked a treat. The other option would be coilovers (H&R are highly rated cost ~1K) but these are more suited if you want to take the car out on to the track.

In terms of alloys 18"'s should fit without a bother. The cost of alloys then is all down to which ones you want. BBS are popular on the VDUB's and so are the OZ's. I set of 17" BBS start around 1100 and work there way up depending on model and size.

Check out www.vage.ie for idea's and advice...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

so you want to turn a perfectly good golf into a muppet mobile..........

LOL Nuttzz

That is exactly what I do not want to do. All I really want is put alloys on it and thats it. If dropping the suspension will make it look better and not worse, then ill do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

And what is you drive Nuttzz??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

a perfectly good golf :)

So do I, and I dont see anything wrong with doing a few add on's without over doing it and making it look like a done up hairdryer.

I'd suggest not going 18" alloys, they look great but one pot hole and they are finished - 17's are not as bad, least there is a bit of tyre on them.

Lowering springs are great but dont go too low if your putting on a kit, other wise your nice paint job just got left behind on the speed ramp or the first drive way you pull out of - take it from a guy who knows.

And please please please no tinted windows or neon lights in or out of the car...

If you want any links, info or just want to ask advice PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

sound advice dirty dog, just subtle touchs to make a car that bit nicer are fine but muppet bodykits, noisy exhausts, neon lights, tints, and the mother of all unholy looking mess's, the f50 bonnet vent, these do NOT look well, added to that the mobile disco scenario and you have yourself a fully fledged *point and laugh* muppet.

Have myself a 03 Focus and gonna

Put 17" Oz SupperLeggerras on her
    Lower her 35mm on eibach springs
    Put clear indicaters and lexus lights on (to see if they look alright, some lexus lights look shít)

I think she'll look alright then, then see about giving her a few extra horsies :)

Dont forget the furry dice - NOT!!!!!!!

One last piece of advice and adding to what draffodx mentioned, try get a bit more bhp to back up the new look - chipping, air intake upgrades, and simple things like regular oil changes make all the difference.

Dog:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

If i had a car (one day) and where you i'd either go with 17's maybe 18's (not sure how 18's would look on a golf) a little spoiler just to make it a little sportier akit that looks like it was standard and lower it a bit
    lexus lights can look well to
    do go with a set of bbs if money isn't an option
    and a slightly larger diameter exhaust, nothing to make it loud
    thats what i'd do, at the end of the day it's only my opinion on what i like and down to you what you do with your car.
    best of luck modding

jozi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

Be Careful with the lowering i.e. Speed Bumps and crappy Country roads as it is easy to bottom out...

You possible may need to roll the arches for 18"'s maybe better sticking to 17" wheels and a good set of tyres.

If it where me, I would start with some tuning mods to the engine not to drastic but give her a little power…Chip it maybe induction kit and a good ss exhaust.

As in regard to a bodykit I would go for a subtle kit and total debadging and smoothing the booth and if a five door the rear handles not them all just in case the battery goes…And Lexus Lights aswell.

Then a Kamei grill and possibly a bonnet scoop done by a pro as cowboys do them and end up cracking.

But above all really depends on Budget…If you find the right panel beater and a honest mechanic you can get a good job at good prices, I know one in Louth but maybe not in your area.

Originally posted by woody

total debadging and smoothing the booth and if a five door the rear handles not them all just in case the battery goes

Then a Kamei grill and possibly a bonnet scoop done by a pro as cowboys do them and end up cracking.

My opinion but all of them make a car look muppetty, debadging a car is pointless, everyone is gonna know its a golf and it doesnt make it look any better.

smoothing i also find detracts from a car, cant put my finger on it but it just doesnt look good.

grill maybe is alright but only if its one that doesnt appear completely obvious and sticks out

and bonnet scoops are the worst thing ya can put on a car, they look complete ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Mick L

I'm reminded of the VW Golf ad on tv where they show the modded Golfs with tears coming from the head lights. A good ad and they're right, mod the car too much and you'll ruin it.

IMO all you need on a Golf are Alloys (and lower the car I guess if it looks good), Spoiler (not too big), and if you can get a subtle body kit that works then go for it.
    Also, the rear lights on the golfs could look better.

There are some definite No Nos,
    Neon
    Super big exhausts
    Scoops
    decals
    Badge Removal (I really don't get this)

Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

If you're still looking for alloys I'd recommend going to your vw dealer and asking about the original factory fit gti alloys(I think they fit cheaper ones to the gti's today), I think they're 16s, the standard factory fit alloys look brilliant on the golf and they will help you sell it when it comes to that day.
    edit, these are the standard gti alloys, seen here on a vr6
    mk4gti-003.jpg
    The standard alloys were 15s so the 16s probably need low profile tyres.

ah they look too dull/standard them alloys i dont like them at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement