Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best internet package

Options
  • 28-03-2004 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭

Im getting ISDN now next week and im just wondering what the best isp is. Im currently on eircom 150 hrs anytime. I aint too keen on eircom

Im looking for a good ping on counter-strike

I want the house phone to remain eircom and the isp to be different (I think UTVip dont let you use there internet unless you use them as a phone line also)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭ai ing

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Kobie

> I want the house phone to remain eircom

Why's that? I've switched to UTV - the service is excellent & the phone calls are cheaper. There's really nothing extra for you to do - you get your regular rip off line rental bill from Eircom & your DSL/phone bill from UTV. You don't have to dial any extra numbers or anything, the switchover is totally transparent.

Eircom charge a premium rate for their support line for feck sake!!!

K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

I want the house phone to remain eircom

Any particular reason?

You could always do yourself a favour and make the switch - save yourself some money. Regardless of who you pick, they're going to be cheaper than Eircom;)

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭ai ing

Yeah go with utv
    check out the price difference between utv and eircom here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Iri$hKeLt

Ok thanks, But i think my dad wants to keep Eircom as phone line because we were with UTVip and we got billed every month and the bill was nearing the same per month as 2 months with eircom. He reckons Eircom is cheaper

• Advertisement

I think I will go with IOL anytime 180hrs < Will this be good for counter-strike?

Don't know about IOL, but if it's 180rs as you say then it sounds like a dial-up service, not DSL.

As regards to the phone bill, I can only suggest your dad was adding it up wrong. Line rental is the same because it's still through Eircom, and the phone calls are cheaper in just about every case that I can see, so there's no real way your bills could possible go up.

Have a look:
    http://u.tv/utvclicksilver/ietariff.asp?loc=ie

K.

But i think my dad wants to keep Eircom as phone line because we were with UTVip and we got billed every month and the bill was nearing the same per month as 2 months with eircom. He reckons Eircom is cheaper

I don't mean to be disrespectful but your Dad is wrong. If you have the time to research the suject via previous boards threads on the subject, you will find that not only is utv cheaper but the majority of alternative operators are cheaper than Eircom.

I cant get broadband where im from until mid 2005 so thats why im getting isdn

I also know what utvip is cheaper but try telling my father that, Just what internet service provider do you think I should go with for my isdn

Eircom 150hrs Anytime = 29.99
    IOL 180hrs Anytime = 29.99
    UTVip 180hrs Anytime = 29.99

I will look into getting UTVip but im nearly sure that once you use there internet you must use them also for your phone line. If this is the case I will look into getting IOL but are they any better than eircom?

> Im getting ISDN now next week

> I cant get broadband where im from

Right.

• Advertisement

Q. I just want UTVip, not the telephony can I have this?

A. No. Unfortunately this product combines the telephony service with the flat rate service.

If you can't go with utv due to the telephony, then go with iol. Whatever you do, please dont sign up with eircom. Its is in all of our interests both now and in the future not to send our hard earned cash in their direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

If you can't go with utv due to the telephony, then go with iol. Whatever you do, please dont sign up with eircom. Its is in all of our interests both now and in the future not to send our hard earned cash in their direction.

In fairness, I think he just wants to know what ISP represents the best value for money, not what moral obligations he has to choose IOL or UTV.

"In fairness" - you should also mention your connection with Eircom.:)

I am indicating to Irishkelt who (imo) represents the best value for money in terms of current and future service provision.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

"In fairness" - you should also mention your connection with Eircom.

lol, yes I am Phil Nolan posting on boards... I have no connection with Eircom
    I am indicating to Irishkelt who (imo) represents the best value for money in terms of current and future service provision.

IOL/UTV do not offer there own network, how are they offering the best value for money in terms of future service provision???

Originally posted by Eurorunner

I agree with you there Eurorunner and that was always my intension, I hate eircom so much and there so ****. You would think they would be the cheapeast but there tight basts. I am ringing eircom @ 5:00 to cancel my 150hrs contract with them at the end of this month and I will be moving to IOL 180hrs anytime from next month onwards.

Money was never a problem its just I want the best internet service provider for my ISDN and help me get a better ping while playing counter-strike. Eircom is a joke! They said Broadband would be all around ireland in 2004, I recently rang them and they told me I wont have it until mid 2005.

Eircom Broadband - See what you can do :rolleyes:

Thats the spirit Irishkelt. More and more people are making the switch for both telephony and internet. As reported here , 225,000 people have now switched their fixed line business away from €ircon.

Well I was just after talking to my dad and he said theres no way your switching from eircom 150hours to IOL 180hours (He doesnt like me on the internet playing counter-strike and he thinks 180 is way too much time for me) I tried explaining that this is not the reason for me switching its because I want a better internet provider but you know parents they think they know it all when it comes to this sort of stuff!

I gotta say Eurorunner thanks a million for that link cause its something I can show my father and try put some sense into him! He says your getting ISDN thats enough theres no need to complain :rolleyes:

Well I have 2 days to talk him around it which I will and I think that business post will help me. All I gotta do now is get him to the computer and read it :D

Thanks Eurorunner (I like the way you used € in €ircom ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Originally posted by Kobie

As regards to the phone bill, I can only suggest your dad was adding it up wrong. Line rental is the same because it's still through Eircom, and the phone calls are cheaper in just about every case that I can see, so there's no real way your bills could possible go up.

Have a look:
    http://u.tv/utvclicksilver/ietariff.asp?loc=ie

K. [/B]

WRONG!

While UTV definitely beats eircom's STANDARD charge rates, its options plan rates actually are cheaper than UTV - which would result in bigger bills. See the table below:

Eircom UTV Eircom UTV Eircom UTV
    Daytime Evening Weekend
    Local 5.07 3.8 1.26 0.95 1.26 0.95
    National 8.2 6.15 4.9 3.68 1.26 0.95
    Vodafone Ireland 25.53 24.25 19.46 18.49 15.23 14.46
    O2 Ireland 25.07 23.81 18.67 17.74 14.99 14.24
    Meteor Mobile 29.19 27.73 19.46 18.49 15.23 14.47

However, this excludes discount charges, so corrected table below

Eircom Bronze Daytime Evening Weekend

Local 5.07 1.26 1.26
    National 6.64 4.26 1.26
    Vodafone Ireland 23.07* 17.51* 13.70*
    O2 Ireland 23.69* 16.75* 13.47*
    Meteor Mobile 29.19 17.51* 13.70*

Eircom Silver Daytime Evening Weekend

Local 5.07 1.26 1.26
    National 5.72* 3.70 1.26
    All mobile rates the same as Eircom Bronze

Eircom Gold Daytime Evening Weekend

Local 3.80= 1.26 1.26
    National 4.91* 2.95* 1.26
    All mobile rates the same as Eircom Bronze

Now the asterisk indicates that the eircom rate is cheaper than UTV, while the equals sign means its the same. Sorry, but your Dad is right - if you are making mobile phone calls to Ireland, or national calls and spending enough to be on eircom Gold, then UTV is actually more expensive. International calls are another matter, but not everyone makes international calls, and usually to one or two countries.

In fact, I've studied these in details and found that ultimately only two providers are really cheaper than eircom - euphony and Directdialtelecom

Perlico, Cinergi, Vartec, are cheaper for certain calls types, but not necessarily local, national or mobile calls. If you're mostly making local and national calls and have varied patterns Directdial is best for you, but if you want to be a real cheapskate and don't mind hanging up and redialing every 9.58 minutes, euphony will let you off peaks local/national calls under 10 minutes free (or the first 10 minutes free on longer calls) for €5 a month.

• Advertisement

GIBIRISH!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by Iri$hKeLt
    (He doesnt like me on the internet playing counter-strike and he thinks 180 is way too much time for me)

If you are still in school, I'd be inclined to agree. That is about 6 hours a day. Add time at school and sleep, you are left with damn all time to do anything else.. (like getting some exercise!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Originally posted by Kobie
    GIBIRISH!(sic)

Not gibirish at all, Kobie.

UTV is actually more expensive than eircom if you consider options plans and significantly more expensive than Esat BT, Chorus Telecom, Euphony and Directdial, amongst others. In fact its inaccurate to simply say that any of the CPS providers are per se cheaper than eircom, most simply charge less for certain call types (for example, Vartec are really cheap for most international locations, but horrific for Irish calls). UTV is probably subsidising its cheap broadband rates by relatively expensive call rates - however, if you are dialling international calls, then yes it is cheaper, but not if you spend more than 12.70 a month on calls and make only local, national and mobile calls.

Advertisement