Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Server like wincenter

Options
  • 28-03-2004 3:19pm
    Site Banned Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hello chaps,

I'm no networking guru, I've just started reading Networking for Dummies in fact :).. Just wondering if anyone knows of a good Windows XP program I can use so that I can telnet to the win32 PC (server) from a linux/unix box and run something like wincenter, or get remote access to either a W32 operating system on the PC, or the existing W32 OS itself. Any ideas? It should be done without installing anything on the linux box (client) .. something like using telnet would be cool. Apologies in advance if its a daft question! :)

Wincentre is a commercial application isnt it? Otherwise I would have used that.. :(

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If it's a GUI on the linux box then use RealVNC
    Works on Linux/Windows

Have used it as a viewer from PocketPC and there is a viewer for MAC's - there is also a java viewer

AFAIK there is no stable server for Mac and I haven't got the pocketpc server running yet. -- I've not got the DOS viewer working either.

===============================

from a windows 2K pc you can use telnet at the dos prompt. (not sure if this is in XP home or not - /me hates M$ marketing gimps)

Telnet ipaddress port

• Site Banned Posts: 197 ✭✭Wolfie

Hi Midnight,

Thanks for your reply. The problem with using VNC is that as I understand it, I need to install a viewer on the linux box. Problem is that I cannot install anything on the linux side of things, I can only really telnet out from it. If there was a solution such as telnetting to my XP command line, and running something from there, using the IP address of the linux box for display (ie. setenv) then thats what I really want.

For example, with wincenter, you telnet to the server (can be linux/w32) then execute a setenv DISPLAY (or whatever) and then run wincenter. Then, I get the display from wincenter running on my server, on my dumb linux terminal (without installing any software/viewers). Its a nice piece of software. Wondering if theress anything else like it though, or another way of doing it/ ??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

PSTOOLS on www.ntinternals.org are a great way of getting to the NT/2k/Xp command prompt - all you need are admin rights, but they only run on windows.

Don't forget that VNC server on the windows box will allow you to use a java enabled web browser to view the windows PC. Default is port 5800 but this can be changed to port 80.

Yes you can get telnet like servers for windows, but havent delved deeper cos (usually runs through RPC or something) wide open...

[edit] the viewer should be a standalone program so you run it rather than installing it

Once upon a time there was an NT 3.51 server and VNC can't send the three finger salute to it so I had a batch file running, every five minutes it would look in a shared folder for another batch file of a certain name. If it found it it CALL ed it and then deleted it. (NB. you can't change directory CD in a called batch file!) Not pretty, or fast, but it meant you could dial in and do some things on it .

http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBA/tip0100/rh0107.htm
    remote.exe - big time security hole

[edit]google delivers
    http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/sf/pentest/2001-03/0181.html

http://oldlook.experts-exchange.com:8080/Networking/Q_20713051.html
    Remote does no security authorization, and will permit anyone with a remote client (remote /c) to connect to your remote server (remote /s). This leaves the account under which the remote server was run open to anyone who connects. By contrast, Rcmd.exe: Remote Command Service, a tool from the Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Resource Kits, authenticates all users with standard Windows 2000 user authentication procedures.
    Let's not also forget the ability to start XP's telnet service. It would allow the ability to run DOS batch jobs.

Advertisement