Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal vs Man U (scores)

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

Highly enjoyable match.

I thought on the basis of chances in the second half that fell to Arsenal, Utd were lucky to get away with the point [some great last ditch tackling from brown et al]. That being said they [Utd] were unlucky not to win & would have done so if they's converted some of their better chances [e.g. Keane's @ the end of 1st half].

In relation to the penalty incidents, Reyes first was offside and his second was a peno! Henry's was a dive! Giggs' was a free [outside box, but defo not a sending off for Campbell as it was a slip that made him contact with Giggs]! G Neville, what can I say ... the sooner diving becomes a sending off offence, the better for the game!

I'd like to take this opportunity to congratulate Arsenal on a fab campaign thusfar! I humbly say that I was convinced that Arsenal would do nothing this year because of their inability to sign players @ the start of the season!!

Role on Saturday ... Hopefully we can stop emulating our '99 feat. If you haven't guessed already, I'm a Utd supporter :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Kida you really cant say anything positive about Arsenal at all, can you?

On saturday, Henry and freddie are ment to be rested....Hmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by Henry_14

Amazing that, and everyone is always so complimentary about United.

It comes with being top dog and if Arsenal continue as they are it won't be only United fans knocking them. Don't worry though , It'll hardly last anyway as a full strength United will be back where they belong next year and the status quo will be restored.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

the status quo will be restored.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Bastid! Meant if i met one in person :p

Still i guess i better congratulate the picture on having terrific season :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Amazing that, and everyone is always so complimentary about United.

:D:D
    for all ye he thought it was a peno
    IT WAS OUSIDE THE BOX!

think about it!!!

Yeah, you're right jank I believe you to be always correct. Everyone else is wrong - the tv presenters are wrong - all the Arsenal supporters here who conceded the fact are wrong but you, you're always right of course. :rolleyes:

I thought United had the capability of putting the game to bed after Henry scored. The way they came back at Arsenal was like the United of a couple of years ago and reminded me of a statement made by another PL manager who said he didn't want to upset United by scoring first ! (anyone remember this ?) Great fast paced game which - through my rose tinted glasses - I thought United had the better chances. Arsenal weren't allowed time to create the fancy goals they like even Henry's goal was speculative IMO.

Anyway United will be heartened by the performance yesterday and this will make for a great FA Cup semi next week - bring it on !!!:D

Tinky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

I only stated a fact and pointed out that Janks statement was factually incorrect - there was nothing negative or positive in it. A bit sensitive are we??

Yeah, you're right jank I believe you to be always correct. Everyone else is wrong - the tv presenters are wrong - all the Arsenal supporters here who conceded the fact are wrong but you, you're always right of course

first contact was made outside the box wasnt it....ok so it was a peno then??:confused: becuase tinky said so :(

you know sarcasim is the lowest from of wit.

all in all a fair point between the 2 and wenger and co wont make the same mistake of letting good pressure on utd come to nothing
    the semi should be a good match but i predict a 3-2 win for arsenal(saha is a big loss imo and you really cant see anybody except for ronaldo maybe turning it up a notch for utd)

Originally posted by jank

the semi should be a good match but i predict a 3-2 win for arsenal(saha is a big loss imo and you really cant see anybody except for ronaldo maybe turning it up a notch for utd)

OLE

BTW Love the funky cool sig. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by kida
    Sorry the record is actually 42 games held by Forest - this is the longest unbeaten start to a season - amazing how many Arsenal fans I have had to correct today.

Forest are also the last English team to retain the European cup.... God, we hold all the best records :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

OLE

:D

first contact was made outside the box wasnt it....ok so it was a peno then?? becuase tinky said so

you know sarcasim is the lowest from of wit.

Sarcastic ? who . . me ? As I said in my post PRACTICALLY EVERYONE other than you said it was a penalty NOT JUST ME.

Nice bit of info about Forest holding the unbeaten run record - RESPECT !

Tinky

well if you take the time to read through the thread again (and not just my posts! :) )
    you will see that a fair few out there agree with me but if you want to see it that way then grand!

im going to stop now cause your on a troll/flame and we'll both be banned if it goes any further

*/see im a all new mature arsenal supporter nowadays :)*/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Whats the actual stats on the forest record?

How many unbeaten games in each season? (20 +22? 10 +32?) As far as i was aware Arsenal broke the record for the biggest unbeaten run in a season yesterday.

Oh btw, It doesnt matter what you and the other patients thought, the ref said no penalty. End of. (and he was right!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Whats the actual stats on the forest record?

42 matches spanning the last 26 of season 1977/78 and the first 16 of 1978/79. Began 19 Nov 1977 ended Dec 9 1978.

21 Wins and 21 Draws

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

i think arsenals unbeaten record is two things

the best in the premiership for games unbeaten in a row

and joint best for games unbeaten from the start of the football league with Burnley

anyway Kolo Toure has been absolutley brilliant for the whole season, what a discovery by Wenger

man united are out of the league now but Chelsea are worrying me only 7 points behind us, the league is still very much up for grabs for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Aliminator

few things:

giggsy and henry were the same: a sack of spuds.
    Reyes was onside: there was not the 'light of day' between him and the last man.

chelsea are close behind, however, they have to play Utd. at OT. and......(thinks of other decent team in Premiership)......newcastle as well.

once Arsenal demolish Utd in the FA cup and Chelsea in the Champs League. that's it. chelsea will fold.

what was the deal with Henry? he was bitching all game and especially at hte end to Lauren. so Lauren didn't pass it back. stop ur moaning. the pressure's getting to him ,and he's bottling it. not good sign

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭markomac316

Cant wait for the F.A cup match!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

Just for the record I am not a Utd supporter as some people seem to think I am, and this is not a second account either.

I'll admit I wanted Utd to win yesterday, but purely because I wanted to see the title race go to the wire to keep it interesting as I'm sure all neutrals would.

Only other time I've defended them is when people say they're in crisis etc because I believe they're not, just that Arsenal have set the stall higher this season and fair play to them for that.

Man Utd are not in a crisis at all, they are just experiencing the same problems Arsenal had a few seasons back. Anyone remember the amazing Arsenal defence, Winterburn, Bould, Adams and Dixon, but they became to old and Arsenal had difficulty replacing it but they finally have.

Man Utd are going through that problem with their mid-field they are still high quality {much like the Arsenal back line in its last few seasons} but the age is showing, the only real young old member {if u no what i mean} is Scholes..Keane, Giggs and Solsgaer {spl} are in their 30's. Once they tinker around with it get the right combo they will be flying, might take a few seasons to get players to mature into the position, just like Toure for Arsenal but it will happen./

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Henry had a damm good right to be pissed.
    He passed the ball through the legs to give him a perfect easy chance.

He didn't shoot first, took his time, and then missed, when anyone on this board had the ability to knock it back to Henry for an easy finish, to beat Man United.

Darn tutin he'd be pissed!!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by markomac316
    Man Utd are not in a crisis at all, they are just experiencing the same problems Arsenal had a few seasons back. Anyone remember the amazing Arsenal defence, Winterburn, Bould, Adams and Dixon, but they became to old and Arsenal had difficulty replacing it but they finally have.

Man Utd are going through that problem with their mid-field they are still high quality {much like the Arsenal back line in its last few seasons} but the age is showing, the only real young old member {if u no what i mean} is Scholes..Keane, Giggs and Solsgaer {spl} are in their 30's. Once they tinker around with it get the right combo they will be flying, might take a few seasons to get players to mature into the position, just like Toure for Arsenal but it will happen./

I don't agree with this. Man Utd will have to replace the players you mentioned soon but at the age they're at (perhaps with the exception of Keane because of his injuries ) at an age where they should be at their peak.

People forget that Utd are 3 points better off now than they were at this stage last season. They're not in crisis or in trouble at all just that Arsenal have raised the bar this season by going undefeated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

ginally posted by Jank

first contact was made outside the box wasnt it

Have you hear of the advantage rule? First contact outside - ref plays advantage - second contact inside = penalty.

The wording of your comment suggest you know there was contact inside. Admit it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 SanFranMan

Originally posted by nightstrike
    I'll admit I wanted Utd to win yesterday, but purely because I wanted to see the title race go to the wire to keep it interesting as I'm sure all neutrals would.

I'd agree. The nature of being neutral often means you end up shouting for the underdog, and for the first time in 13 years, I saw United as the underdogs in a PL game.

Next seasons going to be different. Arsenal wont get another run like that. They're damn good, but not that good. Luck runs out eventually (how long can they go without an "injury crisis"? There wasnt a whole heap of comforting talent on that bench the other night) Chelsea and ManU will be a damn sight stronger next year too. Barring disasters like that Rio debacle, horse dramas, or more Ranieri-bashing, it should be the closest fought title since the PL began.

Btw, wasnt the ref gutless not to book Neville and Henry for their blatant diving? Either he calls it a penalty or a dive, and someone's got to go in the book.
    The Giggs incident could be let go as an accident, as a hometown decision (no-one can seriously dispute the contact), but no excuses for the two dives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 SanFranMan

Originally posted by nightstrike
    I don't agree with this. Man Utd will have to replace the players you mentioned soon but at the age they're at (perhaps with the exception of Keane because of his injuries ) at an age where they should be at their peak.

Btw, dont forget that there arent many spring chickens on that arsenal team - they did serve quite a long apprenticeship in United's shadows.
    Pires = 31, Vieira 28, Wiltord 30, Bergkamp 35, Ljungberg 27, Campbell 30, Kanu 28.

Wenger's still got a lot of juggling to do in the coming years if his team is to leave a legacy anything like the one Giggs, Scholes, Keane, etc already have.
    Both teams are going to have to change dramatically to maintain any mid-long term success.

re Henry, he is sounding a bit tightly wound up if this article is to be believed
    http://www.football365.com/news/premiership_news/story_105309.shtml

Originally posted by SanFranMan
    There wasnt a whole heap of comforting talent on that bench the other night

Yes, Djemba Djemba started for utd and arsenal were able to bring on bergcamp.

Whats your point?

Originally posted by kida
    Have you hear of the advantage rule? First contact outside - ref plays advantage - second contact inside = penalty.

The wording of your comment suggest you know there was contact inside. Admit it!

are you making it up as you go along now! :)
    there was now TWO bits of contact
    REALLY! :rolleyes:

sol was falling he clipped giggs heal outside the box then 1/2 sec later he falls in the box. no peno at all
    and tbh i dont give a flying **** about it anymore as it was 2 days ago

wording of my comment!! it doesnt suggest anything it means what it says(the only suggestion is in your 'man utd forever' tinted head)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

SanFranMan, first of all: Ljungberg isn't 27 for a couple of weeks, Vieira isn't 28 for another 3 months, Campbell isn't 30 for 6 months. Pires is indeed 31 and will be difficult to replace, though currently he's playing his best football in a long time. Bergkamp ditto, though looking at the Man Utd game it looks like his successor is already here...

And as for the inclusion of Kanu & Wiltord in that heady list, it looks like you're just trying to make the Arsenal squad look old. Incidently Kanu isn't 28 yet either :p

Keown, Lehmann(if these persistent Frey rumours are to be believed) & Bergkamp must top the list regarding departures due to age.

btw (just because this is my favourite part :p), some of Arsenal's other important players are: Henry 26, Edu 25, Cole 23, Toure 23, Lauren 27, Gilberto 27 (i reckon he'll be sold in the summer), Parlour 31. Replacements wise theyve got a few handy looking ones coming in: Reyes 20, Aliadiere 21, Clichy 18, Senderos 19 (apparently, he's been injured since arriving), Bentley 20, Taylor 23, Stack 22, and probably the most promising of the lot, Fabregas 16.

Originally posted by kaids
    probably the most promising of the lot, Fabregas 16.

Ever see highlights of him playing in the reserves? Hes some talent...

if arsenal rap up the league (touch wood) i can see cesc playing and ali and bently too
    serendos should be back for a game or two aswell asnd he is supposed to be some talent

arsenals reserves have an average of something like 18 or so!
    an liam brady says that this is the strongest arsenal youth side he has ever seen not bad for a supposed bankrupt club eh! :cool: :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

From Football365.com:

Arsenal superstar Thierry Henry has accused Manchester United of spreading the rumours of a punch-up between him and team-mate Lauren.

Monday reports indicated the Gunners duo threw punches in the tunnel after the Cameroon international failed to lay off a potential match-winning pass to the striker late on in the 1-1 draw at Highbury.

Henry admits they did have words, but added it was quickly forgotten after a handshake.

And he believes the rumours were started by United, for whom he has now 'lost all respect'.

"They couldn't hurt us on the pitch so they tried to spread rumours about us," he told the Daily Mirror.

"I don't respect people who spread this kind of rumour. I don't respect them as players and now I don't respect them as men. We can't be affected by this.

"There were no punches in the tunnel. I did not hit him and he did not me. That would never happen in this Arsenal team. We are too strong and too together for that.

"After we had finished our argument, we shook hands and Lauren wished me all the best for the national team and that was it."

Henry's comments will no doubt spice up Saturday's FA Cup semi-final between the two sides.

The Frenchman added: "It will give us an extra incentive for the match on Saturday. You will see that if you watch me."

As if this game on Saturday needed any more spice :D

• Advertisement

already read that, it probably was bull****, i hope it fires up the Arsenal players cause things like that really give the opposition a reason to beat you's if what Man Utd players made up those rumours.

Dont tell me the Mirror has published a story contrary to The Sun's one.

Now nobody knows what to believe.
    :confused:

Well, apart from those who rely on informed news sources.

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Well, apart from those who rely on informed news sources.

Like The bloke down the pub eh!

Yes, Djemba Djemba started for utd and arsenal were able to bring on bergcamp.

I didn't see what Djemba Djemba did wrong. Mark my words he has a future, give him time. Hes still only 22.

U still have to admit though that the Utd bench was more impressive on Sunday. Oh and I'm just basing it on Sunday so don't throw all the upcoming lads at me please

Incidentally while on the subject of Arsenal reserves I'm really interested to see how Anthony Stokes does. Hes only something like 15 but playing for Ireland U-19 i think. A striker. Meant to be great.

Originally posted by NightStrike

Incidentally while on the subject of Arsenal reserves I'm really interested to see how Anthony Stokes does. Hes only something like 15 but playing for Ireland U-19 i think. A striker. Meant to be great.

Yeah hes only 15. Scored for the reserves tonight. So did Wiltord might be back for saturday.............

Yeah I just heard about this kid yesterday too. He sounds very promising. Played 45 mins for the U19s scoring twice, then scored twice the next day for the U17s. He played in a friendly today along with Kanu, Wiltord, Cygan & Keown:
    Danny Karbassiyoon played the ball into the area from the left-wing and 15-year-old striker Anthony Stokes laid off the ball intelligently for Wiltord to lift it over the advancing keeper.

Wiltord made it 3-0 just past the hour and then five minutes from time, Adam Birchall was fouled just outside the area and Stokes stepped up to curl the free-kick over the wall and into the top corner.
    Not sure if this is true, but apparently he came from United's feeder club over here where they got O'Shea, Liam Brady being pivotal. Again, apparently, he scored 5 goals in a youth game earlier this season. If he turns out to be as good as his billing, then he could be very good for Arsenal... and Ireland :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

I didn't see what Djemba Djemba did wrong. Mark my words he has a future, give him time. Hes still only 22.

marked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

How many times have liverpool fans been shot dow nfor saying the same about el hadji diouf?

And he came to england with a far greater pedigree than djemba djemba.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 doozerjack

quote:
    Originally posted by Kaids
    .....it looks like you're just trying to make the Arsenal squad look old. .....

Kaids, sounds like you just backed up the point SFM was making with all those stats
    - the guts of the Arse team is every bit as "old" as the United one. I dont think there's any more or less urgency in either camp to replace the core of their first team.

I'd agree with Nightstrike that the United bench looked stronger on Sunday, I dont think Bergkamp was excactly representative of the quality of subs, as Dustaz seems to be suggesting.
    I'd be more comfortable seeing Howard, Ole, Saha, and even Phil N and Butt on the bench than Stack, Cygan, and Kanu. Granted Silva's a good player.

Btw, Djemba came closest to scoring in the 1st half.

Originally posted by Jivin Turkey
    How many times have liverpool fans been shot dow nfor saying the same about el hadji diouf?

And he came to england with a far greater pedigree than djemba djemba.

The difference is that El Hadji Diouf has been here longer, actually speaks the language fluently, hasn't been dogged with injuries etc.

Diouf has had far more of an opportunity to fulfil his potential than Djemba Djemba. At least DD has played some good games this season

Originally posted by kaids
    Yeah I just heard about this kid yesterday too. He sounds very promising. Played 45 mins for the U19s scoring twice, then scored twice the next day for the U17s. He played in a friendly today along with Kanu, Wiltord, Cygan & Keown:

Not sure if this is true, but apparently he came from United's feeder club over here where they got O'Shea, Liam Brady being pivotal. Again, apparently, he scored 5 goals in a youth game earlier this season. If he turns out to be as good as his billing, then he could be very good for Arsenal... and Ireland :)

He was in the Shelbourne youths so he should have been Utds tbh. For all their qualifications they do miss some good ones. Ricardo Quaresma at Sporting Lisbon should've been theres too and they let him go

Originally posted by doozerjack
    quote:

Originally posted by Kaids
    .....it looks like you're just trying to make the Arsenal squad look old. .....

Kaids, sounds like you just backed up the point SFM was making with all those stats
    - the guts of the Arse team is every bit as "old" as the United one. I dont think there's any more or less urgency in either camp to replace the core of their first team.
    eh? Pires is older than Giggs by about a year, fair enough. Vieira is about 3/4 years younger than Keane, Edu 4 younger than Scholes, Ljungberg 5 younger than Solskjaer.

At any rate, i'm not sure where this originally started, but it's a fair point. The Giggs/Scholes/Keane/Beckham midfield aided by Butt & Solsjkaer has largely a constant in the United team's success over the past few years, like the old Arsenal defence was. It can be difficult when you start to take apart something that has essentially acted as a foundation to the team (a pretty decent example imo is Arsenal last season, it was their first season without Tony Adams in a long, long time, and in the end, his missing presence in the defence showed. And despite what anyone says, Keane, who is similarily important to United as Adams was to Arsenal, is not playing as well as he used to.

Advertisement