Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your site ?

Options

Comments

http://www.buffysims.com

This site feeds my ebay product purchasing habit. It's a nice income considering I started it when I was 14 and I'm just 17 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by David Lynch
    http://www.buffysims.com

This site feeds my ebay product purchasing habit. It's a nice income considering I started it when I was 14 and I'm just 17 now.

Do you have many subscriptions?

Since Christmas '03 I have made about $2000, so thats about two hunded subscriptions. I spend as soon as I get it.

Its mostly Americans who subscribe, the sims community is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi

I'm just starting to learn how to use Dreamweaver etc so it's very early days for my webdesign skills ... basically, I'm a learner when it comes to design & programming.

site is: www.TheBettingForums.com (offers links to various bookies including promotions etc)

- previously had an involvement in www.OffersUK.com which I've since given up (for a few bob ;)), but I was more on the marketing side of things than design.

- Admin at a site called www.Rpoints.com/newbie (no ownership in it) and am a regular on a fair few discussion boards such as www.AskAboutMoney.com (retired mod), www.TheMoneyBag.com , www.TheDVDForums.com etc

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Originally posted by garrettod
    www.TheBettingForums.com

hi,

best to steer clear of frames - site's aren't picked up well in search engines with them. green is yucky. the top left image is linking to the A: drive. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭garrettod

Cheers

Appreciate the tips, no doubt you noticed the "L" plate on the site ;)

Thanks,

G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 novahugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭blobert

very unlikely anyone is going to look at all of these, i know...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

I did :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

Originally posted by tomED
    Day Job.....

1499 for a template and some hosting??

Hosting, domain, properly configured for search engines, design, professional consultancy on how to make your website work - but really, I want people to take out the complete content managed website for just €3k, considering the avergae cost of a basic brochure website nowadays is between €3-5k... don't think anyone else is doing that at the moment........ (in ireland that is :))

The content management system gives the user complete control over everything from navigation to text, images, mailing list etc etc... so i think its a fair price!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

considering the avergae cost of a basic brochure website nowadays is between €3-5k...

I'd love to know where you got that figure?

Originally posted by Sposs
    I'd love to know where you got that figure?

Firstly because every web development company I have worked with or for would charge this as their standard fee for a basic brochure site

Also 2bscene do a lot of work for other web dvelopment companies who outsource their work to us, so we would also see exactly what they are charging too....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Maybe your right i just thought the days of charging that sort of figure
    for a brochure site had gone :)

In companies it's not but you could certainly get a cheaper price from a freelancer or self employed web designer, there's no doubt about that....

and we still live in rip off ireland................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Ironically, if you don't charge a high enough figure you'll probably find it harder to find good corporate clients.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Originally posted by leeroybrown
    Ironically, if you don't charge a high enough figure you'll probably find it harder to find good corporate clients.

Yup. People do not trust low cost solutions a lot of the time.
    I can appreciate that, as quite a few of our clients have been "burnt" by the student doing a nixer who does a site for them, takes the money and then vanishes..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

Hosting, domain, properly configured for search engines, design, professional consultancy on how to make your website work - but really, I want people to take out the complete content managed website for just €3k, considering the avergae cost of a basic brochure website nowadays is between €3-5k... don't think anyone else is doing that at the moment........ (in ireland that is :))

The content management system gives the user complete control over everything from navigation to text, images, mailing list etc etc... so i think its a fair price!

Professional Consultancy - does that include editing the template and more or less making the site for the company???

I'm not saying the price isn't industry standard but that the description of the package to the layman is confusing:

The package includes:

Professionally Designed Website Template (100’s to choose from!)
    Domain Name (www.yourcompany.com, .net or .org - 1yr)
    Website Hosting (1yr)
    Unlimited Email Accounts
    1 Year’s Free Support

Edit: Is their template exclusive??

• Advertisement

Originally posted by buddy
    Professional Consultancy - does that include editing the template and more or less making the site for the company???

I'm not saying the price isn't industry standard but that the description of the package to the layman is confusing:

The package includes:

Professionally Designed Website Template (100’s to choose from!)
    Domain Name (www.yourcompany.com, .net or .org - 1yr)
    Website Hosting (1yr)
    Unlimited Email Accounts
    1 Year’s Free Support

Edit: Is their template exclusive??

Yes template is exlusive.

Professional consultancy was something I posted here on the board, basically meaning that they will get a professional service on what they require to make their website a success. It doesnt say that on the website.

I'm not sure why it's confsuing. But to be fair, it is quite a basic description. A layman wont know what a template design is anyway. It's all about getting a potential client to contact me so I can give them some proper consultancy on what they should really be doing.

This package is only aimed at people starting out remember.... not established companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

From my (admittedly quite limited) experience, the consulting accounts for a very large proportion of your time spent on a design. Advising clients about the direction they want to take with the site, perfecting the marketing blurb etc. Usually that takes me as long on a job as the actual design of the site itself.

My most recent hack-job (still in progress)

http://www.joannacampbellgriffin.com

Basic brochure site for a one-person enterprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

Are people making much money from adsense then (or banner ads in general)? I was reading that people weren't getting much since google don't rotate the ads so they get stale, or it could be google's unknown commission grabbing most of the cash.

Originally posted by neXus9
    Are people making much money from adsense then (or banner ads in general)? I was reading that people weren't getting much since google don't rotate the ads so they get stale, or it could be google's unknown commission grabbing most of the cash.

I know people living off the commission from Adsense... up to €2k per month!!!
    Google do seem to have a tight control over it though... One day you could get huge numbers of clickthroughs yet receive only a few cents, others you get very little clickthroughs, yet make in the euros!!!

The content does get stale, so return visitors dont seem to click on the links again...

anyways.... another new site... www.thestreetgallery.com :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Very nice site tom ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I...anyways.... another new site... www.thestreetgallery.com :)

Excellent site. Very nicely done.

thanks !!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Anyone interested in affiliation? Most of the sites seem commercial. Mine's just a hobby - calloused.net. Drop me a PM if you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

New Website Called Soccertalks.com .

Purpose is for Irish people who support English Football clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 InBetweenIdeas

Hi
    my blog :-)

www.geocities.com/tinjman2003

Hope u enjoy!!

-InBetweenIdeas

Advertisement