Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Legal age to own a Scooter/Get it insured?

Options
  • 28-03-2004 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭

Im in a debate right now on what the legal age is to get a scooter - My parents tell me its 17, and I think its 16. Can anybody here clear this up for me? And what about Insurance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Category  Vehicle type                        Minimum age of driver	
    A1        Motorcycles up to 11kW or 125 cc    16 years

More info on provisional licences and full licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

There's talk of plans to raise this age to 17 in the near future also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Cheers. Know anywhere I'd be able to get a second-hand one for cheap? (Its also quite important that it looks cool.)

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Well since we don't know anything about you apart from age, guesstimates on insurance are going to be a bit vague.
    At 16 the only insurance company who'll quote you are is Hibernian (link on the FAQ)
    I used a 50cc Peugot scooter 2002 model valued at 1500 for use in Dublin and FC insurance was 4500 yoyos, TP was 2000 yoyos.

A 16 yo will be crucified for insurance. There is no real way to avoid this. The Ignition course is only available to full licence holders. Taking lessons from IRTA or ISM doesn't count. You will be tarred with the same brush as every other mad scooterist out there ;) It doesn't matter that you will be responsible, ride a 30mph, etc, etc.

Just to reiterate, the minimum age is likely to be raised this year to 17. And compulsory basic training (CBT) should also be introduced at the same time.

Advertisement