Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much notice to quit?

Options
  • 28-03-2004 11:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

How much notice do you have to give if you are quitting a job. I thought legally its only a week but in the past my contracts have said a month etc. Currently I'm on probation so I wonder what the situation is now. I wonder if I'm still bound by the probation contract?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    How much notice do you have to give if you are quitting a job. I thought legally its only a week but in the past my contracts have said a month etc. Currently I'm on probabtion so I wonder what the situation is now. I wonder if I'm bound by the probabtion contract?
    You're always bound by the probation contract. Your notice is whatever it says in your contract.
    If your contract says nothing about how much notice you have to give, then one week is your obligation (If you've been working there more than 13 weeks).

For example, my new contract says that during the probationary period, they must give one months notice. It says nothing about how much notice I've to give. However, a later part says that both me and the company are required to give a month's notice before leaving, saying nothing about the probationary period. So this is the notice I'm bound to, regardless.

One week is your legal obligation if and only if your contract doesn't say otherwise.

Advertisement