Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monthend-Clicksilver-Decisions ?

• 29-03-2004 1:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭

Right , the time to change over to a new 12 month contract is upon us .

What to do & why .

As for me , well , I have been trying to get UTV to either a/ fix their ping and pkt loss issues and b/ admit that they actually have issues with these .

Their ping has always been bad from what I have read over the past 6 months , and I knew going into my first contract that they wouldn't be as good as the others , I just didn't realise they would be as bad as they are . UTV themselves don't seem to agree on this but almost every post I have read on these boards are of this opinion .

The pkt loss is only a recent addition , started about 5/6 weeks ago and hasn't gone away and isn't really acknowledged at all by UTV .

The breaking up of my contract to sign a new one , doesn't really sit well with me , but maybe if I didn't have these problems I wouldn't give it a second thought ( it's called 'suits me' principals :) )

The proxy issue , although not a problem for me it seems to be for alot of people and I don't like the way it's being resolved ( or not being as some might say ) .

The picking and choosing of which questions they decide to answer and what form of 'support' they support also annoys me . When I started with them on utvip newsgroup was supported , now they say it isn't , that they want to concentrate on phnoe and e-mail . But on the recent occasions that I have had to call support i have had to wait nearly 30 minutes everytime , and my e-mail to support which I have replied to using the tkt number about 4 times now still has received NO answer what so ever .

The recent outages , while probably not all UTV's problems have never been explained nor have we been told what has/is been done to prevent them happening in future , just the odd " rest assured we are investigating it " , well I'm sorry I know we Irish are supposed to be a nation of non complainers about service but Gerry Ryan is always giving out about this so I have decided to listen to him for once . We should start to expect good service not applaud it when we do get it and except it when we don't .

So................. I gave them till the end of the month to try to sort things out before I decided what to do , today is the 29th . I will for now continue to pay 47:50 for the privilage of using this service rather than sign up to a further 12 months of frustration .

What are you going to do & why ?

John.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

I make my decisions on the service I'm getting. I'm reasonably happy, which is about what I'd expect from any provider xcept eircon who have total control.

I also don't feel the need to ask here, or anywhere else for that matter, before I make THAT decision.

I find all of this public theraphy stuff confusing :o

Especially the repetition of stuff that you have said many times before. The point has been made. What are you waiting for? A signed petition by the other 6?

If you are not happy then go for God's sake. It'll be interesting to get your perspective (& the Dubs) on another ISP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Da Man

I don't know how bad your problems are, but I would wait to move until you can change provider without downtime. It's possible the new connection charge will be lower in those circumstances too as providers try to poach each other's customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I went with the 48:1, 8gb option. This is only because I can never see myself downloading more than 8gigs in a month. I only ever use the thing now for doing a bit of work, browsing the boards and creating websites. That and I don't really see any point in paying a premium (i.e. anymore than I really have to) for a service which is, at the best of times, complete crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Originally posted by Valentia

I also don't feel the need to ask here, or anywhere else for that matter, before I make THAT decision.

I already made my decision , only asking here out of interest to see what others think , which I believe is the idea behind a discussion board.

Especially the repetition of stuff that you have said many times before. The point has been made. What are you waiting for? A signed petition by the other 6?

I am starting a discussion , and stating my thoughts on it , sorry if thats not allowed.
    hmmmm the UTV 6 , it has a kind of ring to it :)

If you are not happy then go for God's sake. It'll be interesting to get your perspective (& the Dubs) on another ISP.

I believe thats not exactly possible , it is a 12 month contract .

But heh , thanks for your contribution .

John.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by Valentia
    I make my decisions on the service I'm getting. I'm reasonably happy, which is about what I'd expect from any provider xcept eircon who have total control.

Blah blah...

If you don't like what jonski and others have to say about UTV... piss off, don't read it and stop talking like people who complain are stupid idiots. I'm sure you'd change your tune sharpish if same complainers got the service improved, which is all we're trying to do.

As he has said, he wasn't asking here for advice, he was asking what other people had decided to do.

Personally, I'm gonna stick with UTV because a.) it's the cheapest b.) I have an extreme dislike for both eircom and iol and c.) Apathy. Yea I just cba switching again.

Also, despite the service being below-par, I like UTV as a company. I don't mind giving them my money. I just hope they don't continue screwing up as I don't want that to change.

• Advertisement
Advertisement