Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

system 32 folder

Options
  • 29-03-2004 2:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

I got a new computer recently and everytime i turn it on and log in(winXP HE) and the comp loads all the usual stuff for start up and then the windows system 32 folder appears. I haven't a clue why this is happening and cuz its the system 32 folder i'm slightly worried? anybody know why it might be appearing each time i log in?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Just a taught,
    if that folder is open when you shut down the computer it will reappear on startup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

From Windows Explorer, click Tools -> Folder Options
    Click on the view tab
    Scroll down and look for the option to 'Restore previous folder windows at logon' checkbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Hankster

I've seen this happen before when there was a spurious entry in the startup section of the registry.

Check both:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

and

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

If the (Default) REG_SZ string doesn't have (value not set) in it, but instead something like C:\WINNT\System32 or nothing at all, that's most likely your culprit. Its quite safe to delete the (Default) string, as Windows will recreate it automatically.

Reboot or logoff and back on again and your problem should have gone away. That is of course if the above is actually the cause...

Disclaimer: Editing your registry can cause more problems than not, especially if you don't know what you're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

if that folder is open when you shut down the computer it will reappear on startup.

i didn't ever open this folder, its just been opening itself everytime since the start. I might try looking at the registry.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

download autoruns from ntinternals site - lists most of the places where things run from - eg: it could be a shortcut pointing to the folder if none of the above

winstart.bat

• Advertisement
Advertisement