Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Problem with RVF 400R

Options
  • 29-03-2004 9:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

Hey guys. Having a problem with my bike at the moment, I have an idea what it may be but would appreciate other opinions.

My RVF400R is getting harder and harder to start in the mornings. It got to a point where it needed to be push started all the time, so I got a new battery for it. Charged the batter and put it in, it was fine. Then a week later it started having the same troubles. So I disconected my alarm and recharded the battery at home. That was Thursday, and now its getting hard to start again.

I think it may be a problem with the alternator, as it seems the battery isn;t being charged, but does anyone elsh have any ideas?

thanks

Ian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

lol....it's a Honda after all...

Seriously, your (voltage) rectifier/regulator is fried. Happens to most Hondas at one point or another. Is a serious problem on the VFR and Blackbird. You will have to go to your local Honda shop and order a new part. I paid €280 for an official Honda rectifier for a VFR back in 2002. Mine went at 45k mls but I had a mate with another VFR800 and his went at 22k mls so it' snot necessarily consistent. Both bikes were 4yrs old at the time though so maybe that's the common factor.

The problem will get worse and worse until you change it. Nothing you can do and it's a ba$tard when it starts happening. Search any of the VFR forums for further info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭malico

thanks, I thought it would be a problem with the alternator as it starts up ok after a full charge for a few days!

Thanks, I'll get the part in!

Ian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

For the love of god don't buy another stock rectifier/regulator for the RVF. Over priced and really badly designed. Particularly problematic in the RVF/VFR due to the heat it puts out. But the same model RR is in older model blades, cbr250's, a whole bunch of honda's really, so at the very most, go to a breakers and pick up a second hand on to tide you over. Then order a properly designed one from http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/ 65 sterling, its twice the size, has cooling fins and never gives problems. Have yet to have a single problem with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Just make sure you have space for it first malico. Space is tight ùnder the VFR rear cowling, don't know about the RVF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

as bugs says its the regulator/rectifier
    does fit coz he had the same problem :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

IIRC the reg/rec in the NCs and RCs is the same one as is in similar vintage CBR600s, which should make it much easier to find one. No harm in doing a quick google to verify first of course.

Visordown is an excellent forum for bike related stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

From the electrex site, the same RR can be found on :
    CB1, CB500, CBR250R, CBR400RR (NC23), CBR600F, CBR900RR/RW, CBR1100, NC21/23/30/35, NR750, NTV650, NX250, PC800, RVF400R, RVF750R, VFR400, VFR750F(L), VTR1000

Walk into any breakers with it in your hand and i'm sure they'd hand you another for a tenner. May last months, may not last at all.
    Theres a bucket of room where the RR fits on both RVF and VFR, however, the heatsink its attached to is useless, barely a heatsink at all. Theres quite a few places on the net that show of other places you can mount it. When mine started to go originally, i cable tied it to the left passenger peg hanger...which kept it much much cooler, gets very dirty there but its a temporary measure.

Advertisement