Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Girl, A Motorbike, and a Nuclear Wilderness . . .

Options
  • 29-03-2004 9:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi all,

A little off topic I know, but I had to share this.

Today I stumbled across a website that is both fascinating, horrifying, and at times very moving.

It's a simple text and pictures site, over many pages, written by a Russian girl who likes to ride her motorbike through the dead zone around the Chernobyl power plant.

Her matter-of-fact account of how much radiation she is absorbing on each trip, her musings on speed, and freedom, and silence, and the photos of the deserted and overgrown houses and towns in the Dead Zone are compelling.

Click here

The Magic Wood is my favourite part . . . it looks so innocently normal, but is so deadly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

thats an amazingly erie website. teh photos are so cold and creepy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

i say more of this off-topic stuff... and less of the mispleading postings about gigs and other pointless ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

Originally posted by Raggamuffin
    i say more of this off-topic stuff... and less of the mispleading postings about gigs and other pointless ****e.

it hurts me to say it but i agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

sorry but the
    "yey phantom"

and self promotion is sickening.

I mean once is enough but sometimes ive noticed that all the posts by some users are just gig mentions.

Can these not be deleted instead of off topic stuff.

I mean there is only so much phantom related stuff to be talked about.

I still say there should be a sticky post just for gigs and the rest discussion...

just like the old board.

but what do i know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

Originally posted by Raggamuffin
    sorry but the
    "yey phantom"

and self promotion is sickening.

Ah you couldn't resist it could ya?

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭memaeve

That's what I love about this board, that everything's on the one forum.

Yea, that site is quite disturbing. It is really creepy looking. You wonder why she wants to do that.....

xxx me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

The whole thing is an incredible record to have. The photos of the yards full of (what look like) abandoned army vehicles. Very poignant. And the school photos - my goodness. I have a lot of respect for her, I really do.

That page is bookmarked and there it shall stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭legofsalmon

that is amazing. just......... profound story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭hippu

why dont they show us this stuff in school
    a huge empty museum of a soviet city
    its so surreal, like pompei or sumthin

Advertisement